Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

No Rounders SE reviews?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted September 07 2004 - 11:29 AM

I'm not seeing any at the major dvd review sites. I'm curious how the video quality is(given Miramax/Disney's latest efforts.

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   James L White

James L White

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted September 07 2004 - 11:34 AM

http://www.dvdauthor...p?reviewID=4004
http://dvd.ign.com/a....html?fromint=1
Samsung HL-S5688W 56" DLP
Panasonic TC-P50X1 50" Plasma TV (bedroom)
Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD's
Panasonic BMP-BD60
Sony BDP300 Blu Rays (bedroom)

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Adam_ME

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

• 930 posts

Posted September 07 2004 - 02:46 PM

I preordered the disc before reading any reviews, since I figured the new anamorphic transfer would look just as good if not better than the current DVD I've got. Of course, with Miramax's track record lately, that wasn't exactly a safe bet. It sounds like the extras are a letdown, and the new DVD inexplicably loses the trailer(an annoying trend with Buena Vista these days). I've still got it on the Canadian Good Will Hunting disc though, so no big deal.
I should really learn to knock....in case there's a threesome going on in my bedroom. - Sandy Cohen, The O.C., The Countdown

My DVD Collection

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,405 posts

Posted September 07 2004 - 04:01 PM

I'm in the midst of reviewing this title but haven't had time to wade through the commentaries yet - hopefully I'll post mine next week. (Been going through a LOT of commentary-intensive titles recently, and honestly, Rounders was pretty low on that particular totem pole...)
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   James Lambert

James Lambert

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted September 08 2004 - 01:34 AM

CHUD a real fanboy review.
Knowing my luck, if there is such a thing as re-incarnation, I'd come back as me!

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Brian_H

Brian_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted September 08 2004 - 02:52 AM

I bought this yesterday and watched it without the commentary and then again with the pro poker player commentary. The image looks quite good and is a big step up from the previous release for the simple fact that it's anamorphic. Admittedly, however, my eyes often don't catch a lot of the problems that others see, so YMMV. I watched it on a 53" Panny WS set, set up w/ DVE, so no pro calibration but better than average. The pro poker player commentary was actually pretty good, but I watch and play a lot of poker so I guess it depends on the person watching. The 4 pros are Chris "Jesus" Ferguson, Chris Moneymaker, Johnny Chan, and Phil Helmuth. For those of you that know about these guys it should come as no surprise that Helmuth dominates the commentary but everyone participates (with Ferguson talking the least) and there's a lot less dead time than I thought there would be. The rest of the extras were a bit of a disappointment, with the Holdem game and the other commentary being the only ones I haven't looked at yet. It's not that what I saw wasn't good, just that it left me wanting a lot more, and they were very short. All in all though, it's definitely worth picking up if you like the movie for the anamorphic transfer alone. Since this is one of those movies that I can watch over and over it was a no brainer for me, especially since it was only $14.99.
The right to be heard doesn't automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Hubert Humphrey

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted September 08 2004 - 03:44 AM

http://www.dvdtown.c....fd927379416abb

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Aaron Thorne

Aaron Thorne

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted September 08 2004 - 03:55 AM

I picked this up yesterday at Wal-Mart for 13.88, but haven't watch it yet.
Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies.
Farewell and adieu to you ladies of Spain.
For we've received orders to sail back to Boston.
And so nevermore shall we be seeing you again.

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted September 08 2004 - 10:51 AM

I thought the transfer looked excellent-at least a 4 out of 5, maybe 4.5.
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

• 1,551 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 04:43 AM

So if you are a big fan of this movie as I am, is this new edition worth picking up over the current edition? And let me just say that I hardly ever, ever watch the extras. The only thing that makes me double dip is audio and picture quality. So is it worth it?
"I'm your Huckleberry"

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 04:45 AM

Jeff, definitely worth it. The anamorphic transfer alone should be a no-brainer. Plus the 2 commentaries.

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

• 1,551 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 04:59 AM

Thanks Paul, I guess I will be heading to the store today. Usually when I hear anamorphic compared to a normal widescreen movie it is a no brainer but just double checking. When I double dip I want to make sure it is worth it, especially since I am trying to cut down on my dvd buying. But when it is a great movie such as this, I won't mind buying it again.
"I'm your Huckleberry"

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

• 1,551 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 05:02 AM

Also curious as to what you guys paid for this edition. I just got off the phone with Walmart and they told me $9.50! Can this be true??????
"I'm your Huckleberry"

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 05:15 AM

That could be possible Jeff. The list is 19.99. Although they may be selling it at the price of the old release.
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 05:31 AM

Well I paid $13 or so I think. Watched this last night. Don't have the old edition, so maybe the sound mix is the same, but it was very good I thought, very active and the bass was stronger that would be expected. The jazzy score is really cool and comes through beautifully. Didn't have time for the extras, but listened to about first five-ten minutes of the commentary by the director, the writers, and Ed Norton (whom I love, and it's a great bonus having him in on this). From the limited time I had I thought this was a nice track, no real pauses, and good interesting info right off the bat (the one of the writers saying the idea for the film occured to him after he lost a bunch of money in an underground poker game).

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,515 posts

Posted September 11 2004 - 06:27 PM

Extremely entertaining movie which unfortunately contains John Malkovich's worst performance - that "Russian accent" is so over the top is makes me wince. Still worth a buy, though.

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted September 12 2004 - 03:34 AM

"pyay thyat myan hees myoney"
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users