-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Day After Tomorrow - Due 10/5

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#1 of 48 Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor

• 883 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 12:15 AM

20th Century Fox will release The Day After Tomorrow on October 5th. The single-disc special edition will feature an anamorphic widescreen transfer, DD5.1 tracks, two filmmaker commentaries, deleted scenes, trailers and a DVD-ROM weblink to a behind-the-scenes featurette. The packaging will feature a lenticular Statue of Liberty motion cover. Retail will be $29.98.

#2 of 48 David Galindo

David Galindo

Screenwriter

• 1,264 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 04:40 AM

No DTS? Grrr. Ah, not surprising anyways. Thanks for the heads up!

#3 of 48 Robert_eb

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor

• 967 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 04:49 AM

I think I heard that this film has already made $500 million worldwide. I think this dvd release will add to that. What studio released this? I just wonder how long it'll take before this dvd is re-released with a dts soundtrack.

#4 of 48 Zachary Cohen

Zachary Cohen

Stunt Coordinator

• 115 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 06:17 AM

Notice the wording "DD 5.1 tracks." Whoo! A worthless French track instead of a DTS one. And wow: A WEBLINK TO A BEHIND THE SCENES FEATURETTE! Weblinks!

#5 of 48 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,523 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted July 12 2004 - 06:52 AM

What studio released this?

C'mon, Dude! It was the first 3 words in the thread! Posted Image

20th Century Fox will release The Day After Tomorrow on October 5th.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#6 of 48 Robert_eb

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor

• 967 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 08:02 AM

C'mon, Dude! It was the first 3 words in the thread!

Dooh.

#7 of 48 Quint van der Vaart

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 08:36 AM

Well I will buy the region 02 release then........at least that one will have DTS Posted Image
"So Dark The Con Of Man"

The Da Vinci Code opening Worldwide on May 19th 2006

#8 of 48 Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers

Producer

• 3,481 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 08:43 AM

Quote:
The single-disc special edition

Does this imply that they might announce a two disc edition soon? Like the Master and Commander release.
Top 10 Film Lists: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
Film Lists: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005

#9 of 48 Travis W.

Travis W.

Second Unit

• 305 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 09:39 AM

Yeah this single disc edition seems a little too suspicious to me. The film may not have been the blockbuster they expected (seems these days anything short of $200 million is disappointing) but it deserves to have at least two discs. I would have liked to see some in-depth behind the scenes footage.

How disappointing.

#10 of 48 TomWoodward

TomWoodward

Second Unit

• 358 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 10:30 AM

The artwork is here
Tom Woodward
DVDActive.com

#11 of 48 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 10:54 AM

One disk or more, I'll buy. Passed on the theaterical run so the purchase is a must. Maybe even double dip if a dts track ends up on a future SE.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#12 of 48 Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted July 13 2004 - 12:36 AM

I would not be at all surprised if a more deluxe version of this comes out within a year or two, but for a movie of this escapist, silly nature, this release will do just fine. I'm especially curious about the deleted scenes as there were a number of scenes that seemed to be missing vital information or just missing altogether.

#13 of 48 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted July 13 2004 - 01:19 AM

I'm with Ron-P on this one. Missed it so I will buy.
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#14 of 48 David Galindo

David Galindo

Screenwriter

• 1,264 posts

Posted July 13 2004 - 03:53 AM

I hate lenticular packaging, oh well Posted Image

#15 of 48 Larry Gardner

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted July 13 2004 - 04:13 AM

I'm also a little surprised with the content of this release from Fox. Given Fox's track record with Independence Day and Artisan's Stargate, you would expect a little more (at least a 2-disc edition with DTS - or hopefully an announcement for a future release).

And what about the Web-link to a behind the scenes featurette. I take it everyone has a PC and a streaming capability. And five years from now - will these web-sites still exist?

I've always been a big supported of Fox DVDs (and previously LDs), but I really think they are shortchanging here.

Playing devil's advocate though - it may be that with the onslaught of DVD material coming in the fall from all studios (Fox has Star Wars Trilogy AND The Passion of the Christ just to name a FEW!!!!), this maybe all they can provide us - but they should at least inform us if the will be releasing a special edition later.

I'm really going to miss the DTS track on this release. The soundtrack in the theater was unbelievable. I new this region release mentality would eventually bite someone in the butt (e.g., Spanish 5.1, French 5.1, English 5.1, Dolby Surround, ...).

#16 of 48 Rick P

Rick P

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 02:59 PM

just noticed this up for preorder on amazon.uk and see they are doing a 2 disc set. The R1 is a single isn't it??

#17 of 48 Travis W.

Travis W.

Second Unit

• 305 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 04:48 PM

Yep, Fox is definitely pushing a two discer at us probably next year or something ("One Year Anniversary Special Edition). I'm not buying the single disc.

#18 of 48 Chris_Marin

Chris_Marin

Stunt Coordinator

• 172 posts

Posted September 25 2004 - 12:28 PM

We have managed to get hold of both the UK region 2 Special Edition and US region 1 releases of The Day After Tomorrow. You can find our detailed comparison review here.

Quote:
Snippet:
The Day After Tomorrow was touted to be a huge summer blockbuster film. Unfortunately, its release date coincided with Shrek 2 and the third Harry Potter film, and its box office takings suffered. An excuse obviously, as any film good enough would have remained ‘blockbuster’ irrespective of its competition. As an action film, the main villain is the weather. We are all aware of how ferocious Mother Nature can be, and the filmmakers wisely chose the most common destructive forces to pepper their film with. However, the overall driving force behind these weather patterns was the climate change, something that in reality would happen over a far longer time scale than depicted.

Emotionally there is very little depth, with so much happening we don’t spend enough time with the characters to fully understand their motives; and the film suffers accordingly. Though excuses are made in the commentaries about speeding the film up, and that makes perfect sense, without the emotional involvement a series of ‘disaster film’ clichés ultimately reduces the film to no more than sheer popcorn fodder.

#19 of 48 Jim*F

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator

• 115 posts

Posted September 25 2004 - 01:02 PM

What an absolute joke! Fox has plenty of extras available for the R1 DVD (as evidenced by the R2 2-disc edition), but is leaving all them off, presumably for a "special edition" sometime in the future?

And how is Best Buy involved in this ridiculous behavior? Well, BB is offering a "bonus disc" that contains the making of the film (presumably some or all of the same making of that is on the R2 DVD).

I guess Fox assumes plenty of DVD fanatics will buy the bare-bones DVD now then double dip in 6-12 months. Well, they just lost two sales, as I'll now purchase neither the October release nor any future special edition.

#20 of 48 Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,088 posts

Posted September 25 2004 - 05:07 PM

I'm with you, Jim.

Check out this thread here:

Fox Strategy - One-Disc Now, Two-Disc Later

Forum Nav Content I Follow