The Day After Tomorrow - Due 10/5

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Patrick Mirza, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

20th Century Fox will release The Day After Tomorrow on October 5th. The single-disc special edition will feature an anamorphic widescreen transfer, DD5.1 tracks, two filmmaker commentaries, deleted scenes, trailers and a DVD-ROM weblink to a behind-the-scenes featurette. The packaging will feature a lenticular Statue of Liberty motion cover. Retail will be $29.98.

2. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

No DTS? Grrr. Ah, not surprising anyways. Thanks for the heads up!

3. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

I think I heard that this film has already made $500 million worldwide. I think this dvd release will add to that. What studio released this? I just wonder how long it'll take before this dvd is re-released with a dts soundtrack.

4. Zachary Cohen

Zachary Cohen Stunt Coordinator

Notice the wording "DD 5.1 tracks." Whoo! A worthless French track instead of a DTS one. And wow: A WEBLINK TO A BEHIND THE SCENES FEATURETTE! Weblinks!

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

6. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

7. Quint van der Vaart

Quint van der Vaart Second Unit

Well I will buy the region 02 release then........at least that one will have DTS [​IMG]

8. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

Does this imply that they might announce a two disc edition soon? Like the Master and Commander release.

9. Travis W.

Travis W. Second Unit

Yeah this single disc edition seems a little too suspicious to me. The film may not have been the blockbuster they expected (seems these days anything short of $200 million is disappointing) but it deserves to have at least two discs. I would have liked to see some in-depth behind the scenes footage.

How disappointing.

10. TomWoodward

TomWoodward Second Unit

The artwork is here

11. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    One disk or more, I'll buy. Passed on the theaterical run so the purchase is a must. Maybe even double dip if a dts track ends up on a future SE.

12. Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino Supporting Actor

I would not be at all surprised if a more deluxe version of this comes out within a year or two, but for a movie of this escapist, silly nature, this release will do just fine. I'm especially curious about the deleted scenes as there were a number of scenes that seemed to be missing vital information or just missing altogether.

13. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I'm with Ron-P on this one. Missed it so I will buy.

14. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

I hate lenticular packaging, oh well [​IMG]

15. Larry Gardner

Larry Gardner Stunt Coordinator

I'm also a little surprised with the content of this release from Fox. Given Fox's track record with Independence Day and Artisan's Stargate, you would expect a little more (at least a 2-disc edition with DTS - or hopefully an announcement for a future release).

And what about the Web-link to a behind the scenes featurette. I take it everyone has a PC and a streaming capability. And five years from now - will these web-sites still exist?

I've always been a big supported of Fox DVDs (and previously LDs), but I really think they are shortchanging here.

Playing devil's advocate though - it may be that with the onslaught of DVD material coming in the fall from all studios (Fox has Star Wars Trilogy AND The Passion of the Christ just to name a FEW!!!!), this maybe all they can provide us - but they should at least inform us if the will be releasing a special edition later.

I'm really going to miss the DTS track on this release. The soundtrack in the theater was unbelievable. I new this region release mentality would eventually bite someone in the butt (e.g., Spanish 5.1, French 5.1, English 5.1, Dolby Surround, ...).

16. Rick P

Rick P Supporting Actor

just noticed this up for preorder on amazon.uk and see they are doing a 2 disc set. The R1 is a single isn't it??

17. Travis W.

Travis W. Second Unit

Yep, Fox is definitely pushing a two discer at us probably next year or something ("One Year Anniversary Special Edition). I'm not buying the single disc.

18. Chris_Marin

Chris_Marin Stunt Coordinator

We have managed to get hold of both the UK region 2 Special Edition and US region 1 releases of The Day After Tomorrow. You can find our detailed comparison review here.

19. Jim*F

Jim*F Stunt Coordinator

What an absolute joke! Fox has plenty of extras available for the R1 DVD (as evidenced by the R2 2-disc edition), but is leaving all them off, presumably for a "special edition" sometime in the future?

And how is Best Buy involved in this ridiculous behavior? Well, BB is offering a "bonus disc" that contains the making of the film (presumably some or all of the same making of that is on the R2 DVD).

I guess Fox assumes plenty of DVD fanatics will buy the bare-bones DVD now then double dip in 6-12 months. Well, they just lost two sales, as I'll now purchase neither the October release nor any future special edition.

20. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer