What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: la haine (1995) (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
aQ0KQhoip19olkpwhmNbrAfMY6qhAB_large.jpg
Mathieu Kassovitz took the film world by storm with La haine, a gritty, unsettling, and visually explosive look at the racial and cultural volatility in modern-day France, specifically the low-income banlieue districts on Paris’s outskirts. Aimlessly passing their days in the concrete environs of their dead-end suburbia, Vinz (Vincent Cassel), Hubert (Hubert Koundé), and Saïd (Saïd Taghmaoui)—Jewish, African, and Arab, respectively—give human faces to France’s immigrant populations, their bristling resentment at their marginalization slowly simmering until it reaches a climactic boiling point. A work of tough beauty, La haine is a landmark of 1990s French cinema and a gripping reflection of its country’s ongoing identity crisis.

FILM INFO​

• France
  • 97 minutes
  • Black & White
  • 1.85:1
  • French
  • Spine #381

DIRECTOR-APPROVED 4K UHD + BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES​

• New 4K digital master, supervised by director of photography Pierre Aïm and approved by director Mathieu Kassovitz, with 2.0 and 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks
    • One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
    • Audio commentary by Kassovitz
    • Introduction by actor Jodie Foster
    • Ten Years of “La haine,” a documentary featuring cast and crew members
    • Featurette on the film’s banlieue setting
    • Production footage
    • Deleted and extended scenes, with an afterword by Kassovitz
    • Behind-the-scenes photos
    • Trailers
    • PLUS: An essay by film scholar Ginette Vincendeau and a 2006 appreciation by filmmaker Costa-Gavras

Cover by Neil Kellerhouse

April 2, 2024

Reactions: PMF

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Criterion playing catch-up, after StudioCanal released this in 2020. Which isn't a bad thing, as a) The StudioCanal is out of print b) The StudioCanal's English subtitles were fairly ridiculous.

Reactions: PMF

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Criterion playing catch-up, after StudioCanal released this in 2020. Which isn't a bad thing, as a) The StudioCanal is out of print b) The StudioCanal's English subtitles were fairly ridiculous.
Is there any reason to believe that the subtitles will be any different and improved?
I have the Studio Canal issue and I agree with you about the subs.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Is there any reason to believe that the subtitles will be any different and improved?
I have the Studio Canal issue and I agree with you about the subs.
Actually, I'd forgotten that the flack that Criterion came under, for using the "lowest common denominator" subtitles, was for their DVD - which they then subsequently improved for their blu-ray. So I don't think there's any reason to worry that the new Criterion 4K UHD will substitute Astérix/Obelix with Snoopy/Charlie Brown, or Le Pen with Hitler, like on the StudioCanal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks