Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

OK.......girlfriend thread......

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
97 replies to this topic

#21 of 98 brentl

brentl

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 06:50 AM

Are you sure it's not telling you to turn on the speaker outputs??

Speaker a or speaker b?

Brent

#22 of 98 Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 09:36 AM

If I unplug the optical cable from the 7200 & plug it back into my Onkyo, it works fine.....I cant figure out how to work the dang 7200....it was working fine...DVD out to optical input 2..yada, yada, yada,....but nothing now

sorry it tok so long to get back to you all trying to help me, but I am trying to finish up the
CCM-Luger 1 plus

#23 of 98 Ivan P

Ivan P

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 09:52 AM

Ok what is AVR-7200 telling you?

Try another optical input and be sure to setup the right optical input for DVD source

#24 of 98 Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 09:54 AM

cool....will do....just unplugged unit per instructions to reset....gimmee 5 or so mins.

#25 of 98 Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 10:10 AM

it says push surround selector button & tuner mode selector button for 3 secs.....

this supposedly will reset it & display "RESET" in the display.

if this does not fix it consult an authorized HK service center.

So...where do I take my brand new HK unit that has
all of 2 hours use on it?

#26 of 98 StephenHa

StephenHa

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 11:43 AM

does it say digital? could be the input got turned off? if it needs service at that age take it where you bought it, and tell them to replace it (that's customer service)

#27 of 98 TimMc

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator

• 220 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 12:40 PM

Sorry, Cam, but if you look in the appendix to the manual for your 7200 you'll see that the display is telling your to get a new GF (as in, Leave here Right now ;~).

Seriously, the best way to fix this is to go through all the (correct) setup that you did all over again. Yeah, I know it's gonna be a real pain, but since it works with the Onkyo & none of us are there, the fastest way to fix it (and the best way to learn the stuff) is to do it step by step, even if it means doing it all over again.

Yup, this suggestion is kinda painful. And yup, it will work (assuming that something didn't get truly screwed in the act of pushing the big screen back a little). Do all of the connections (including the speakers!) over again - disconnect and reconnect everything. I know this is gross overkill, but it's part of the process to learn this stuff cold and will verify that nothing got disconnected during the "big push" and helpfully reconnected to the wrong place, etc. Then go through your "Getting Started" setup for the receiver again - and really check all the steps. Yup, overkill - but you'll know this unit inside & out when we're done with you.

And check every - and we do mean every - button and switch and option on the front panel, too. Check any A/B speaker setting, etc. When you've cycled through all this you'll know your gear like never before, and you'll probably find the button that accidently got touched or the connection that got ever-so-slightly pulled out and is no longer really connected.

And when you're all done and it works wonderfully again ('cause you found the dinged connection and made it all better) give her a big hug and then send her a bill for your time to fix this!

#28 of 98 Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 01:11 PM

Dang, took vacation Wed. & Thurs., my normal Fri. off to finish DIY Tempest sub & hookup new 7200 I knew I was getting. Also to install total system in my truck that I had already ordered & had it sitting ready to put in.

Got my 7200 working after lotsa trouble (much thanks to the HTF team)& continured to work on my sub, then had to have unscheduled oral surgery Friday,
which after I came down off all the drugs, found out my 7200 was no longer working....have not been able to finish the Tempest due to one thing after another.
Now I guess I will re-wire my receiver to see if I can get it to work.

Damn....cant wait to get to work tomorrow to catch up on
my sleep......

Sorry to be such a whiner.........Posted Image

tomorrow is another day....hopefully I wont be able to hear the alarm over my 7200....Posted Image

#29 of 98 EricRWem

EricRWem

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 01:26 PM

Damn, why couldn't the girl leave things well enough alone? Posted Image

#30 of 98 Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 01:28 PM

I've got all the stuff on the screen Dolby....dts.....logic 7....dsp....etc.
dont know what anything should be set on......

#31 of 98 Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 01:41 PM

I'm too beat.....I will have to call around & find somebody
that knows how to set it up, or tell me that something is
actually wrong with it.

You guys are great!!! Posted Image

Thanks for trying to help.....Posted Image

#32 of 98 Drew_W

Drew_W

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 05:23 PM

Have you tried the manual? I say this because I always skip reading the manual and just want to plug in my gear and enjoy it. No time for reading. Eventually though, you may want to read it, and perhaps a few times, since these complex machines often have some intersting features you would have never known about had you not read the manual...or at least the manual will help straighten out some counterintuitive things...

What you're talking about a few posts up though is DSP processing. When it receives a 5.1 signal, it should automatically switch to DD or DTS. I think you can set it up to do either plain stereo or DPLII or Logic7 or something if you have a 2.0 source. That's all explained in the manual. Once you do it once, that's all you need. Then you sit back and enjoy. And make sure the girlfriend doesn't try some sneak feng shui on your gear while you're out.
I gave up on tracking my collection and actually started watching what I have.

#33 of 98 Greg*go

Greg*go

Supporting Actor

• 941 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 12:03 AM

Do you get sound when you turn on your tuner or any other inputs for that matter?
I certainly don't expect anyone to remember me 65 years after I die, but you wouldn't know that from the way I act.

#34 of 98 Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 12:44 AM

I am at work now, but as I was switching through the
"sources" & passed the FM tuner, there was no sound, but
I dont think it was on a station.

I didn't get any sound when I tried the "test tones" either, after the TV was moved, I did before.

#35 of 98 Greg*go

Greg*go

Supporting Actor

• 941 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 05:51 AM

That means your speakers are most likely off. Don't worry about your DVD settings, you'll probably just make another mistake on top of the one that is made now.

Get the tuner working. There has to be a button somewhere on the front of the tuner that your g/f accidentally hit when she was moving it around. That's why your L R is blinking, they're off or muted. There is either a an A/B switch that you need to get working again, a Speaker button that you need to mess with, or a mute button that is impervious to the volume being turned up or down. Look in the manual and search around for this. It is a most annoying thing, I know. And if you get someone out there, it will be even more annoying when the solve the problem in 45 seconds. Posted Image
I certainly don't expect anyone to remember me 65 years after I die, but you wouldn't know that from the way I act.

#36 of 98 Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 02:28 PM

I got my new HK7200....working great, but still VERY NEW
to it.

I had the big screen pulled out while setting things up &
was still tweaking stuff.
I mention to my GF that I eill be able to put it back soon.

I go to the dentist, come back & she had shoved tv back
to normal spot.....now no sound at all through receiver.
Still worksd through big screen, but just flashes
L & R on the speaker selector......

I want to cry..............

What do I do.

#37 of 98 Robb Roy

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor

• 711 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 02:43 PM

Cam,

It sounds to me like she pulled off some connection(s) when moving the TV back into place. I think you gotta' pull the TV back out and see what wires are underneath it, and not plugged into the receiver.

-Robb

#38 of 98 Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 02:59 PM

Hey Robb......before i posted, I pulled the tv back out & checked everything....I get sound from DVD to TV, but not
DVD to receiver.....heck, not counting spreakers, there are only 4 wires plugged into the receiver & only one comes
from the DVD player. Posted Image

#39 of 98 Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 03:01 PM

just getting the thing to play normally was giving me
fits........stupid is as stupid does

#40 of 98 Robb Roy

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor

• 711 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 03:05 PM

Cam,

If it's a toslink cable you still may want to check that it hasn't come loose. After that, run through the settings on the receiver again. I'm sure it's something simple. Receivers definitely top the list of overly complicated pieces of gear.

-Robb