What's new

Cat vs Girlfriend (1 Viewer)

gregD

Second Unit
Upgraditis has struck again... I've been considering adding a cat or a girlfriend, but after spending time with these lingering threads -- OK.......girlfriend thread...... and Embarrassing- cat sprayed my AVR 7200 -- I find myself concerned with compatibility issues.

Any experience out there with both in a controlled testing environment?... doesn't have to be a strict DBT... as a matter of fact, I'd be receptive to both Subjectivist and Objectivist points of view here.

Here's my system... Marantz SR8400 used as a pre * ATI AT2005 amp * Denon DVD2900 disc player * NHT ST4 floorstanders x 4 + SC2 center + two SVS 20-39PC-Plus * Sony 40" XBR CRT... the room is 15 x 15 x 10, mixed surfaces, minimal treatments.

Bottom line: which of the two -- cat or girlfriend -- will give me the fewest compatibility conflicts with my system?

I've already considered -- and rejected -- the idea of mounting my entire system to the ceiling.

gregD

Second Unit
Upgraditis has struck again... I've been considering adding a cat or a girlfriend, but after spending time with these lingering threads -- OK.......girlfriend thread...... and Embarrassing- cat sprayed my AVR 7200 -- I find myself concerned with compatibility issues.

Any experience out there with both in a controlled testing environment?... doesn't have to be a strict DBT... as a matter of fact, I'd be receptive to both Subjectivist and Objectivist points of view here.

Here's my system... Marantz SR8400 used as a pre * ATI AT2005 amp * Denon DVD2900 disc player * NHT ST4 floorstanders x 4 + SC2 center + two SVS 20-39PC-Plus * Sony 40" XBR CRT... the room is 15 x 15 x 10, mixed surfaces, minimal treatments.

Bottom line: which of the two -- cat or girlfriend -- will give me the fewest compatibility conflicts with my system?

I've already considered -- and rejected -- the idea of mounting my entire system to the ceiling.

StephenHa

Second Unit
cat's don't complain about your choice in listening, and viewing materials, also you don't get arrested for locking a cat in the other room

StephenHa

Second Unit
cat's don't complain about your choice in listening, and viewing materials, also you don't get arrested for locking a cat in the other room

Daman

Second Unit
on the other hand if u manage to find a gf/wife who shares your enthusiam in HT its real fun to watch movies and shake the house together :)

Daman

Second Unit
on the other hand if u manage to find a gf/wife who shares your enthusiam in HT its real fun to watch movies and shake the house together :)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Best bet, go with a goldfish, and put the tank in another room. It won't ever change its affections for you, won't be demanding your attention at awkward moments nor get angry and do vicious things to you or your property. Also, and most importantly, while you're listening to or watching something, it's wery, wery quiet.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Best bet, go with a goldfish, and put the tank in another room. It won't ever change its affections for you, won't be demanding your attention at awkward moments nor get angry and do vicious things to you or your property. Also, and most importantly, while you're listening to or watching something, it's wery, wery quiet.

Dean_S

Second Unit
I say get a female cat and have it fixed and declawed (front claws only!!!). It couldn't hurt to have an equipment rack that gets the HT gear up off the floor (doors on the cabinet would be good too). I have two 16yo cats visiting me this week while my sister moves and I had a cat for 15 years until her recent death. The only problem I ever had was my cat poked a hole in one of my speaker surrounds before she was declawed and I saw it happen so I know it was not intentional (she slipped when jumping up onto the speaker and she liked to sit on them when they were playing loud...I still can't figure out why she didn't run off during loud listening sessions but she seemed to like the sound of the Celestion SL6S).

BTW: If you get the cat, you'll end up with a GF too. They love guys with cats :)

Dean_S

Second Unit
I say get a female cat and have it fixed and declawed (front claws only!!!). It couldn't hurt to have an equipment rack that gets the HT gear up off the floor (doors on the cabinet would be good too). I have two 16yo cats visiting me this week while my sister moves and I had a cat for 15 years until her recent death. The only problem I ever had was my cat poked a hole in one of my speaker surrounds before she was declawed and I saw it happen so I know it was not intentional (she slipped when jumping up onto the speaker and she liked to sit on them when they were playing loud...I still can't figure out why she didn't run off during loud listening sessions but she seemed to like the sound of the Celestion SL6S).

BTW: If you get the cat, you'll end up with a GF too. They love guys with cats :)

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
When you want to get away alone for a while you can always kennel the cat without worries of your audio-gear.

A cat is a short time investment in years in comparison & very seldom do they slash tires

A cat will not care if a female calls the house

No conmen-law issue's to deal with when its time for the cat to move out

A cat usually will not ask for cash

A cat will not complain often that you do not go out on-the-town; you can further enjoy the system at home

I would personally rather deal with the parents of a cat!

In conclusion; I would choose neither, been married now for twenty years this July and I really don’t like cats. ;)

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
When you want to get away alone for a while you can always kennel the cat without worries of your audio-gear.

A cat is a short time investment in years in comparison & very seldom do they slash tires

A cat will not care if a female calls the house

No conmen-law issue's to deal with when its time for the cat to move out

A cat usually will not ask for cash

A cat will not complain often that you do not go out on-the-town; you can further enjoy the system at home

I would personally rather deal with the parents of a cat!

In conclusion; I would choose neither, been married now for twenty years this July and I really don’t like cats. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks