Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How do i connect my portable cd player to my bose 101 speakers?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Dennis_G

Dennis_G

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 02:07 AM

I found some bose 101 speakers in my garage. Since I was in need for a pair of speakers for my portable cd player, i decided to connect it to my speakers. But how do I connect it? My friends says that the cd player is only going to output a tiny amount of watts, not enough for the 100 watt peak speakers. How can i connect it without a amplifier? The cd player has a headphone jack and the speakers have a red and black speaker line input. Help is greatly appreciated. Thank you. Dennis

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 05:02 AM

Your friends are correct. You must use some kind of amplifier to power the speakers. A headphone jack is not capable of powering anything beyond headphones, it's more a line-level signal. Speakers need an amplified signal, so you'll have to use some kind of amplifier to get any sound at all from your speakers.

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Dennis_G

Dennis_G

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 09:15 AM

Thanks for the advice. Exactly what kind of amplifier do you suggest? P.S. The portable cd player also has a audio out jack which is is colored black. What is the difference between the audio out and the green headphone jack?

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Dennis_G

Dennis_G

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 09:19 AM

Oops. Its not a audio out jack but a line out.

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   StephenHa

StephenHa

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 09:22 AM

no amplification so you can hook that to a stereo

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,937 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX

Posted June 20 2004 - 08:17 AM

Audio out and line out are the same thing. The difference between it and the headphone jack is that the volume level is fixed. As others have noted, an amplifier of some kind is needed for those speakers. An old stereo receiver will work fine, if you happen to have one lying around. You will also need a mini-headphone plug to stereo RCA adapter to get the signal into the receiver or amp. If all else fails you could use some powered computer speakers for the CD player. Regards, Wayne A. Pflughaupt
My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Dennis_G

Dennis_G

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 04:59 AM

Thanks for all the replysPosted Image I am planning to get powered computer speakers. The Altec Lansing MX 5021. BTW, on my cd player specs the headphone jack was 1/8 inch. Is this compatible with these speakers?

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   StephenHa

StephenHa

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 05:38 AM

I think so, just a stereo mini plug

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Dennis_G

Dennis_G

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 02:07 AM

I found some bose 101 speakers in my garage. Since I was in need for a pair of speakers for my portable cd player, i decided to connect it to my speakers. But how do I connect it? My friends says that the cd player is only going to output a tiny amount of watts, not enough for the 100 watt peak speakers. How can i connect it without a amplifier? The cd player has a headphone jack and the speakers have a red and black speaker line input. Help is greatly appreciated. Thank you. Dennis

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 05:02 AM

Your friends are correct. You must use some kind of amplifier to power the speakers. A headphone jack is not capable of powering anything beyond headphones, it's more a line-level signal. Speakers need an amplified signal, so you'll have to use some kind of amplifier to get any sound at all from your speakers.

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Dennis_G

Dennis_G

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 09:15 AM

Thanks for the advice. Exactly what kind of amplifier do you suggest? P.S. The portable cd player also has a audio out jack which is is colored black. What is the difference between the audio out and the green headphone jack?

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Dennis_G

Dennis_G

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 09:19 AM

Oops. Its not a audio out jack but a line out.

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   StephenHa

StephenHa

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 09:22 AM

no amplification so you can hook that to a stereo

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,937 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX

Posted June 20 2004 - 08:17 AM

Audio out and line out are the same thing. The difference between it and the headphone jack is that the volume level is fixed. As others have noted, an amplifier of some kind is needed for those speakers. An old stereo receiver will work fine, if you happen to have one lying around. You will also need a mini-headphone plug to stereo RCA adapter to get the signal into the receiver or amp. If all else fails you could use some powered computer speakers for the CD player. Regards, Wayne A. Pflughaupt
My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   Dennis_G

Dennis_G

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 04:59 AM

Thanks for all the replysPosted Image I am planning to get powered computer speakers. The Altec Lansing MX 5021. BTW, on my cd player specs the headphone jack was 1/8 inch. Is this compatible with these speakers?

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   StephenHa

StephenHa

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 05:38 AM

I think so, just a stereo mini plug