What's new

How do i connect my portable cd player to my bose 101 speakers? (1 Viewer)

Dennis_G

Auditioning
I found some bose 101 speakers in my garage. Since I was in need for a pair of speakers for my portable cd player, i decided to connect it to my speakers. But how do I connect it? My friends says that the cd player is only going to output a tiny amount of watts, not enough for the 100 watt peak speakers. How can i connect it without a amplifier? The cd player has a headphone jack and the speakers have a red and black speaker line input. Help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Dennis

Dennis_G

Auditioning
I found some bose 101 speakers in my garage. Since I was in need for a pair of speakers for my portable cd player, i decided to connect it to my speakers. But how do I connect it? My friends says that the cd player is only going to output a tiny amount of watts, not enough for the 100 watt peak speakers. How can i connect it without a amplifier? The cd player has a headphone jack and the speakers have a red and black speaker line input. Help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Dennis

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Your friends are correct. You must use some kind of amplifier to power the speakers. A headphone jack is not capable of powering anything beyond headphones, it's more a line-level signal. Speakers need an amplified signal, so you'll have to use some kind of amplifier to get any sound at all from your speakers.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Your friends are correct. You must use some kind of amplifier to power the speakers. A headphone jack is not capable of powering anything beyond headphones, it's more a line-level signal. Speakers need an amplified signal, so you'll have to use some kind of amplifier to get any sound at all from your speakers.

Dennis_G

Auditioning
Thanks for the advice. Exactly what kind of amplifier do you suggest?
P.S. The portable cd player also has a audio out jack which is is colored black. What is the difference between the audio out and the green headphone jack?

Dennis_G

Auditioning
Thanks for the advice. Exactly what kind of amplifier do you suggest?
P.S. The portable cd player also has a audio out jack which is is colored black. What is the difference between the audio out and the green headphone jack?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Audio out and line out are the same thing. The difference between it and the headphone jack is that the volume level is fixed.

As others have noted, an amplifier of some kind is needed for those speakers. An old stereo receiver will work fine, if you happen to have one lying around. You will also need a mini-headphone plug to stereo RCA adapter to get the signal into the receiver or amp.

If all else fails you could use some powered computer speakers for the CD player.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Audio out and line out are the same thing. The difference between it and the headphone jack is that the volume level is fixed.

As others have noted, an amplifier of some kind is needed for those speakers. An old stereo receiver will work fine, if you happen to have one lying around. You will also need a mini-headphone plug to stereo RCA adapter to get the signal into the receiver or amp.

If all else fails you could use some powered computer speakers for the CD player.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Dennis_G

Auditioning
Thanks for all the replys:) I am planning to get powered computer speakers. The Altec Lansing MX 5021. BTW, on my cd player specs the headphone jack was 1/8 inch. Is this compatible with these speakers?

Dennis_G

Auditioning
Thanks for all the replys:) I am planning to get powered computer speakers. The Altec Lansing MX 5021. BTW, on my cd player specs the headphone jack was 1/8 inch. Is this compatible with these speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks