How do i connect my portable cd player to my bose 101 speakers?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Dennis_G, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Dennis_G

Dennis_G Auditioning

I found some bose 101 speakers in my garage. Since I was in need for a pair of speakers for my portable cd player, i decided to connect it to my speakers. But how do I connect it? My friends says that the cd player is only going to output a tiny amount of watts, not enough for the 100 watt peak speakers. How can i connect it without a amplifier? The cd player has a headphone jack and the speakers have a red and black speaker line input. Help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Dennis

2. Dennis_G

Dennis_G Auditioning

I found some bose 101 speakers in my garage. Since I was in need for a pair of speakers for my portable cd player, i decided to connect it to my speakers. But how do I connect it? My friends says that the cd player is only going to output a tiny amount of watts, not enough for the 100 watt peak speakers. How can i connect it without a amplifier? The cd player has a headphone jack and the speakers have a red and black speaker line input. Help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Dennis

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Your friends are correct. You must use some kind of amplifier to power the speakers. A headphone jack is not capable of powering anything beyond headphones, it's more a line-level signal. Speakers need an amplified signal, so you'll have to use some kind of amplifier to get any sound at all from your speakers.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Your friends are correct. You must use some kind of amplifier to power the speakers. A headphone jack is not capable of powering anything beyond headphones, it's more a line-level signal. Speakers need an amplified signal, so you'll have to use some kind of amplifier to get any sound at all from your speakers.

5. Dennis_G

Dennis_G Auditioning

Thanks for the advice. Exactly what kind of amplifier do you suggest?
    P.S. The portable cd player also has a audio out jack which is is colored black. What is the difference between the audio out and the green headphone jack?

6. Dennis_G

Dennis_G Auditioning

Thanks for the advice. Exactly what kind of amplifier do you suggest?
    P.S. The portable cd player also has a audio out jack which is is colored black. What is the difference between the audio out and the green headphone jack?

7. Dennis_G

Dennis_G Auditioning

Oops. Its not a audio out jack but a line out.

8. Dennis_G

Dennis_G Auditioning

Oops. Its not a audio out jack but a line out.

9. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

no amplification so you can hook that to a stereo

10. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

no amplification so you can hook that to a stereo

11. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Audio out and line out are the same thing. The difference between it and the headphone jack is that the volume level is fixed.

As others have noted, an amplifier of some kind is needed for those speakers. An old stereo receiver will work fine, if you happen to have one lying around. You will also need a mini-headphone plug to stereo RCA adapter to get the signal into the receiver or amp.

If all else fails you could use some powered computer speakers for the CD player.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

12. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Audio out and line out are the same thing. The difference between it and the headphone jack is that the volume level is fixed.

As others have noted, an amplifier of some kind is needed for those speakers. An old stereo receiver will work fine, if you happen to have one lying around. You will also need a mini-headphone plug to stereo RCA adapter to get the signal into the receiver or amp.

If all else fails you could use some powered computer speakers for the CD player.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

13. Dennis_G

Dennis_G Auditioning

Thanks for all the replys[​IMG] I am planning to get powered computer speakers. The Altec Lansing MX 5021. BTW, on my cd player specs the headphone jack was 1/8 inch. Is this compatible with these speakers?

14. Dennis_G

Dennis_G Auditioning

Thanks for all the replys[​IMG] I am planning to get powered computer speakers. The Altec Lansing MX 5021. BTW, on my cd player specs the headphone jack was 1/8 inch. Is this compatible with these speakers?

15. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

I think so, just a stereo mini plug

16. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

I think so, just a stereo mini plug