Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Last Comic Standing 2004 ongoing thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
149 replies to this topic

#1 of 150 OFFLINE   Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted June 08 2004 - 04:18 PM

Season Two started tonight. A lot of promising new comics as well as ones I've seen on CC Presents and Premium Blend. Looking forward to this season.
They premiered Dat Phan's CC Presents last Friday and it wasn't very good. His delivery is poor, he's still recycling material that he used on the show already and relying HEAVILY on the mom routine. I wish his mom would say "Dat Phan, write new material!"

"My name's Buck Star. Welcome to the Buck Star show."
"Oh I can hold my breath for a long, long time!"

http://www.dvdprofil....s=TromaFiend02

#2 of 150 OFFLINE   RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted June 08 2004 - 05:04 PM

I have watched all the episodes of both seasons so far, because my love of stand-up has not limits. This is probably the neatest reality show to date. I already have my favorites!

Ryan

"I like my women like I like my..."

#3 of 150 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted June 08 2004 - 05:17 PM

Buck Star kicked ass! He should have moved on by default for spending so much $$$ on gas/plane tickets Posted Image

#4 of 150 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted June 09 2004 - 01:08 AM

I was actually a bit dissappointed by how many comics I recognised. Was hoping for more new talent.

But now that they've gotten this far, I hope to see some of my faves in the house.

Jim Norton is my favorite working comic (he was on Opie & Anthony a lot and I've seen him in New York a bunch of times). I was surprised he was in Florida, not New York, probably working there for a bit. Even when they said they'd have only one spot I knew they'd pick him. The others had no chance. At the same time, he'd never stand a chance at winning the whole thing, as too many people would find him crass. I definitely want to see him in the house, pink nipples and all.

Louis Ramey is great, an all-around talent that would make a good TV star. Pablo Francisco has a few good routines. I'm surprised he didn't pull out his most famous bit, the movie announcer schtick.

#5 of 150 OFFLINE   Thi Them

Thi Them

Producer

• 3,650 posts

Posted June 09 2004 - 02:43 AM

I liked the Vladimir kid and the Indian guy with the short beard.

Dat Phan's Comedy Central special was a mess.

~T

#6 of 150 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,120 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted June 09 2004 - 02:45 AM

I was hoping that Buck Star would go through that whole routine of his and then blow them away with some genuine standup.

I like the choices so far. I think if the husband and wife team make it all the way to the house things could get very interesting.

Also, the team that is judging them tonight is going to be interesting with one of the comics from last year as one of the judges. I am surprised they didn't have Dat Phan as one of the judges.

All in all I think we are in for some really good stand up this time around as more of the contestants having been doing stand up for several years.

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#7 of 150 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,934 posts

Posted June 09 2004 - 02:47 AM

My wife read something in TV Guide last week that said in the first season the Judges didn't want some of the people in the house who ended up there. Does anyone know what this is about?

Also, Dat Phan should not have won last year. He has one routine and that grows old very quickly. Their were 3 or 4 funnier people in the house who should have won over Dat.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#8 of 150 OFFLINE   Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor

• 935 posts

Posted June 09 2004 - 04:40 AM

http://www.eonline.c....C00.html?tnews

I don't think I'll be watching any more of this season.

#9 of 150 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted June 09 2004 - 05:07 AM

Heh. Surprise surprise.

I don't watch this for the competition aspect, just to see comics rip on each other and do stupid shit to get noticed. I frankly can't believe anyone takes the competition aspect of this or American Idol so seriously.

#10 of 150 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted June 09 2004 - 05:46 AM

I was surprised to see so many familiar faces too. It was also one of the rare times when I picked every single person that would make it to the semi-finals.

That's disappointing to hear that the judges have no affect on who makes it to the house. There were only about 3 that I liked last year, and none were the top 2. At least they still show up on Tough Crowd.

I'll still watch it though. Curious to see what happens in the house and if they do any more "hide and don't seek" games. Posted Image

Can't believe that Ant is going to be in the house though. ughhh

...and welcome to the Buck Star show. Posted Image

#11 of 150 OFFLINE   Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted June 09 2004 - 06:11 AM

Don't forget, it's on tonight (6/9) too.
"Oh I can hold my breath for a long, long time!"

http://www.dvdprofil....s=TromaFiend02

#12 of 150 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,934 posts

Posted June 09 2004 - 07:29 AM

I wonder who they did & didn't want in the house last year. Does anyone know?
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#13 of 150 OFFLINE   NolanJ

NolanJ

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted June 09 2004 - 01:52 PM

I have no faith that they will honor the "phone in" votes now after reading what some of the guest judges said.

Makes me wonder if Ralphie May truly got robbed last year... hmmmmmm.

#14 of 150 OFFLINE   Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit

• 420 posts

Posted June 09 2004 - 02:53 PM

Dat Phan is not dat funny. Posted Image Thank you, thank you, I'll be posting here all week. Welcome to the Gregg Shiu Show.

Seriously, I was so shocked when they went to one of the first towns and had comedians like Todd Glass and Kathleen Madigan, one of the funniest comedians, let alone female comedians, alive auditioning. I thought the premise was to find the best undiscovered comics in America. If you were going for the best already known comic, I believe he's got his own show on Comedy Central right now. 'I'm Rich, Bitch' ring any bells? No? How about Brian Regan? Or what about that Seinfeld fellow, I hear he's some sort of comedian, and has a show that isn't half bad. But since, like RyanAn, my love for standup comedy is limitless, I'll continuing watching this season. I really hope it ends up with Kathleen, Pablo, that Paul Varghese guy, and some other talented comedians to decide from in the end.
"-king sixty-three hundred dollar suit! COME ON!" - Gob

John 3:16My DVD CollectionMy CD Collection

#15 of 150 OFFLINE   Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted June 09 2004 - 03:35 PM

What a joke (pun intended).

When someone like Pablo Fransico is out already, you know it has nothing to do with talent. That guy is easily in the top 5 great working comics today. This show is so rigged...*gah*...I am choking on my own rage here!
Scott A. McGillivray
Vancouver, B.C.

Struggling Actor and Movie Nut!
(Check out my profile on IMDB!)http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1425496/

#16 of 150 OFFLINE   Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted June 09 2004 - 03:50 PM

Quote:
But, according to Carey, based on a disclaimer he was told about after he made a fuss about the judges' lack of input in the Las Vegas semifinal competition, even the audience voting during the broadcasted rounds of competition may not be the final arbiter of who wins the comedy crown.

Carey said producers pointed out to him that a brief disclaimer, which runs among the end credits of the show, leaves the final decision on all matters, including voting and casting, up to producers.

Posted Image Posted Image

Chris

#17 of 150 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted June 09 2004 - 03:58 PM

Man I can't believe Pablo is gone. His stuff is hilarious.

#18 of 150 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted June 09 2004 - 07:58 PM

Quote:
"It was like somebody at NBC cast the show ahead of the event in Vegas. And they had 1,100 in the audience [for the semifinals competition] who saw how blatantly it was cast. If this happened on Survivor or any other reality TV show, it would be a major scandal."

Carey told the Los Angeles Times that an openly gay comic named Ant was apparently chosen because his sexual orientation made him a better fit than Carey's preferred wisecracker, Dan Naturman.

Butler, via her official Website, groused: "As panel judges, we can say that (a) we were both surprised and disappointed at the results and (b) we had NOTHING to do with them."

So, basically, Drew Carey and Brett Butler, both comics I think have had decent careers, say openly the thing is rigged. Both apparently favored one comic they put near the top (Dan Naturman?) and instead, a comic they thought bombed got into the finals because he happened to be gay.

This is not an anti-gay rant, nor anything saying anything about his preference.. but if the judges and audience have no say and the producers just want to fill a quota, all these preliminaries could have been avoided and they could have picked whatever balanced group they wanted... instead, they make it all a sham. I'd feel bad to be the one guy who got into the house who judges thought was terrible.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#19 of 150 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,887 posts

Posted June 09 2004 - 11:32 PM

I think it's a matter of casting for conflict potential in the house, and not comedic talent.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#20 of 150 OFFLINE   Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted June 10 2004 - 12:54 AM

I don't think it had anything to do with Ant being gay:

Quote:
Questions also were raised about business ties between the show’s producers and some of the comics chosen as the 10 finalists. One executive producer, Barry Katz, also manages two of those performers — Gary Gulman and a comic who goes by the stage name of Ant — as well as host Jay Mohr.

But NBC said Katz recused himself entirely from the talent selection because, as one executive put it, “he knows way too many comedians.” Likewise, Mohr played no role in choosing contestants, the network said.
Quote:
But one contestant who spoke on condition of anonymity said that regardless of who made the decision, “One thing for sure is it wasn’t about who was the funniest.... It wasn’t a big misunderstanding. It was a big deception.”

Carey’s spokeswoman said Carey and the other judges only learned after the fact that their votes were not the deciding factor “and that the people who were elected were cast more for a reality show and not ... as the most gifted comedians.”

I'll still watch the show, but my respect for the producers and some of the contestants is gone. They passed over some good talent just to get their friends on the show. The indian guy who joked about his father was hilarious.

My pick so far: Alonzo Bodden.
"Would you have started with the Bed, Bath, and Bodyworks joke in front of a black audience?"
"Nah, cause black people don't use sheets"

Posted Image

Chris

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow