Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF Review: Field of Dreams - Anniversary Edition (Highly Recommended!)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 of 82 OFFLINE   Jason Perez

Jason Perez

Second Unit

• 310 posts

Posted June 07 2004 - 05:15 PM

Padawan Learner in the Mystical Art of Home Theater!

Display Tweaked to Perfection by Calibrator Extraordinaire Gregg Loewen!

#2 of 82 OFFLINE   Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted June 07 2004 - 05:35 PM

If you put out a DVD like this, I will buy it. I love this movie, I'll gladly buy this version, I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for the review.

#3 of 82 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted June 07 2004 - 10:51 PM

TWO-channel? It's supposed to be 5.1. Posted Image

#4 of 82 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted June 07 2004 - 10:58 PM

Sounds like a nice 2-Discer. But I'm wondering WHY Amazon is claiming there's yet another 90-min. feature on this SE ...........

• "A Look Inside Field of Dreams" -- A new 90-minute documentary on the film.

Anybody know what this is? It's obviously not on the SE.

http://www.amazon.co....6&vi=tech-info

#5 of 82 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,480 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted June 07 2004 - 11:06 PM

This was part of the line-up in the initial announcement from Universal (it's on the original disc), then they decided to ditch it. Nice review Jason. --- So many films, so little time...
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#6 of 82 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted June 07 2004 - 11:29 PM

OK, John, thanks. I've since found that info out (via the other Field Of Dreams thread here @ HTF). Should have read that one first before posing my question.

But I still wonder why Amazon (and similar institutions) sometimes refuse to "update" any of their DVD info after initially posting it. Although, in Amazon's (and others) defense: I guess it might be simply a case of the e-tailers being just as much in the dark as we consumers until the disc actually hits the streets.

I'm wondering if Amazon will remove that blurb re. the "90-min. documentary" once they confirm it's not on there? It'd be wise to do so, so as to not confuse and mislead any more people than is necessary.

Just for an FYI -- Mr. Salas, in the other thread about this movie, posted this very informative data re. the 2-Disc SE. (Thought it deserved a repeat post here.) .........

"The new two-disc SE.............

DOES NOT have these features from the old DVD:
* The wonderful 90-minute making of documentary, which the film's director, Phil Alden Robinson, has called one of the best of its kind.
* The isolated score.
* The script.

DOES have this feature from the old DVD:
* The same commentary.

ADDS these new features:
* New anamorphic widescreen presentation.
* New audio mix, in DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1.
* Deleted scenes (about 11 minutes)
* Father-son memories about baseball. (38 minutes)
* A roundtable with Kevin Costner and Major League players. (30 minutes)
* The 48-minute Bravo documentary about the making of the film.
* Stadium and baseball trivia
* A visit to the Illinois town that subbed for Chisholm, Minn. (5 minutes)
* A visit to the actual field from the movie. (17 minutes)"

#7 of 82 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted June 07 2004 - 11:34 PM

Another FYI -- Repeating here what has been said regarding a "Bonus Third Disc at Wal-Mart" on the Field Of Dreams set:

Walmart Bonus Disc contains:

> Starting Lineup

> From Father to Son (Different edit than the
Two-Disc Anniversary Edition one.)

> Daring to Dream

> Pitching a Perfect Game: An Introduction to Bret
Saberhagen's Pitching Techniques

> The Field of Dreams Scrapbook (which is the 90-minute documentary found on the old 1-Disc version).

Posted Image

#8 of 82 OFFLINE   Jason Perez

Jason Perez

Second Unit

• 310 posts

Posted June 08 2004 - 02:07 AM

David VP, Thanks for posting the comparison!!! Also, in regard to your previous post, that part of the "What Is That Noise?" section refers to the previous DVD, which I remember as having 2-channel audio. The new DVD most certainly features 5.1 channel audio (both DD and DTS)! Regards, Jason P.S. - That Walmart disc sounds great!!! Personally, I don't miss either the isolated score or the script, but the documentary was very good. For people that have not already parted with their old copies, perhaps it would be worth keeping for the documentary (and script/isolated score).
Padawan Learner in the Mystical Art of Home Theater!

Display Tweaked to Perfection by Calibrator Extraordinaire Gregg Loewen!

#9 of 82 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted June 08 2004 - 02:41 AM

Yes, you are correct. And I am dead wrong here. :b

The 2-channel remark was referring to the old disc. I just mis-read that part. I *should* have realized you were talking about the old version; because you're saying things about the 2-channel track that are not exactly glowing in nature, plus give the new DVD a "4-Star" audio rating. So, obviously you weren't speaking of the *new* DVD's audio.

So sorry. Pay no attention to the idiot (me) behind the curtain. Posted Image

#10 of 82 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,560 posts

Posted June 08 2004 - 02:50 AM

I asked this in the other thread, but I thought I'd put it here, too: wasn't the "isolated score" on the original disc simply the same cues from the commercial soundtrack? I know this is what happened with Legend. Just curious.

And thanks for the review. Sounds like it's worth it. I'm glad the trailer is included, too. I'll probably be getting this today (most likely at Walmart Posted Image ).
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#11 of 82 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted June 08 2004 - 02:53 AM

Let us know how many greenbacks it set you back, Bryan (if you get the 3-Discer @ Wal*Mart). I'd be interested in how much this "Bonus" Edition is selling for around the country. Thanks. Posted Image

#12 of 82 OFFLINE   Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 978 posts

Posted June 08 2004 - 03:34 AM

They didn't have it out yet, but last night, the Wal-Mart in Chelmsford MA had tags on the shelf that showed their price to be $19.77.

#13 of 82 OFFLINE   Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted June 08 2004 - 03:46 AM

Mine cost 16.87 at Wal-mart, and I think it'll be a popular item since it does have the old 90-minute doc on it. Glad I picked it up.

#14 of 82 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,560 posts

Posted June 08 2004 - 04:31 AM

David-- I got it for $15.88. The regular price is apparently in the neighborhood of $20, but a sale card under it read the sale price. I had to remind the clerk of this, because it still rang up for the $20 price. But she said if they had a sign underneath, they would have to honor the sale price. Hopefully no one else will have this problem. Jason- Just out of curiosity, where is the theatrical trailer on the disc. Can't seem to find it. I know I tend to go on about trailers, but I just like having them on the DVD, and so many studios are forgetting about them nowadays.
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#15 of 82 ONLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,443 posts

Posted June 08 2004 - 05:38 AM

Great review Jason - thanks!

As a side note, my local paper had an interview with Universal a week or so about this disc. One interesting thing was that Universal said the computer program used to "clean up" the image actually removed the baseball from at least 4 different scenes (mistaking it for a white speck)! They had to go back and reinsert the baseball.

Sometimes you wonder if technology is really a good thing. Posted Image

Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#16 of 82 OFFLINE   David Dias

David Dias

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted June 08 2004 - 06:18 AM

I'll be getting this and will be keeping the original release because of the documentary. It's truly one of the best docs ever, directed by Laurent Bouzerau if I'm not mistaken. Too bad they left it out on this new SE.

#17 of 82 OFFLINE   Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted June 08 2004 - 06:30 AM

That's a first for me, seeing a bonus DVD issued with the film at Wal-Mart! Typically, Best Buy has been the ones to scoop others with bonus DVDs (TNG, DS9, Master and Commander, to name a few), and I just came back from Best Buy sooooooo sorely tempted to get "Field of Dreams"! (I also debated getting the new 5-hour cut of "Das Boot", but ultimately I passed on both - gotta pay the bills, y'know.) But with this report of the bonus disc with the film at Wal-Mart, I'll have to go check it out. Good call there, David!
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#18 of 82 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted June 08 2004 - 06:40 AM

Well I already had the old version so I guess I'll just hang onto it for the documentary. Glad tohave this with a new transfer. Funny thing about the release, it doesn't seem to mention anywhere what the Anniversary is. It's obviously the 15th anniversary of the release of the film, but you wouldn't know that unless you look at the copyright date and made that assumption. Well, I guess it's better than calling the "Tremendously Tearjerking Edition", or some other Universal concoction.
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#19 of 82 OFFLINE   GrantM

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator

• 109 posts

Posted June 08 2004 - 07:22 AM

I believe it was directed by Van Ling, IIRC.

#20 of 82 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,919 posts

Posted June 08 2004 - 07:45 AM

Yes, it is. There are no extra cues on the dvd isolated score.

Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users