What's new

Seasame Street Season Sets? (2 Viewers)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Anyone think that a set of Muppet SKit/songs and animation skit collections, starting from when Seasame street first aired up untill Elmo started to take over would sell?

Was just watching the 35th anniversary, and there are some things I wouldn't mind seeing like when 3PO and R2 guest starred...

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
My guess is that the 35th Anniversary special will be released on DVD, and maybe a Best of the Early Years for older fans. Season sets are VERY unlikely.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Season sets? If I remember correctly, there are so many episodes in one season that it would be pretty much impossible (and even if possible, then surely unaffordable) to ever see this happen. Maybe 'Best of' sets for each season. That would be a good idea.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I don't think it would sell. The main reason being that a LOT of the material on "Sesame Street" has been used a thousand times or more on each episode. I speak generally of the musical numbers and the animation shorts. To this day, I still see a lot of the segments I saw 20 years ago as a kid. Sure the actual 'street' segments changed with each episode, but other than that there was a hell of a lot of repetition. I think season sets would be extremely monotonous to the viewer.

I think with this show, 'best of' discs would be the route to take.........with completely different material on each disc. This would surely fill the void for the nostalgics out there in addition to avoiding any potential tediousness.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Their were roughly 20 episodes every month, how the heck could they release a dvd season set ? :D Maybe a best of each season is possible.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I agree that this is one of those rare exceptions where season sets probably wouldn't work (although I would love to browse through this show's archives). As Andrew points out, there were a lot of sketches that have been used over and over.

A few "best-of" sets, each going chronologically, would be cool, though. I'd love to see some of those old Bert and Ernie segments again, and the ones with Grover as the waiter. And they could include some of the more notable live-action segments: Mr. Hooper's death, the revelation of Snuffy, Luis and Maria's marriage, etc.

I caught the 35th anniversary show, too; neat stuff, although I'd like to see a real retrospective, too.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I bought the Christmas Eve On Sesame Street special done in 1978, which is the oldest one out right now. I'd kill for a set with all the old segments! It always bugged me that they had all that stuff that had nothing to do with the cast and Muppet characters though, they should separate those.
Who is this "Elmo" you speak of? ;)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
They released a boxed set of music from the show, spanning all 35 years (and with some famous singers on there to get their die-hards to make the purchase). Would it not be feasible to release something like the Looney Toons Golden Collection with some classic segments? Let's face it, LTGC appeals more to adults than kids, as do the new HB boxed sets, so a boxed set with four-five discs of classic Sesame Street segments could be a great seller.

The earlier seasons of Sesame Street were 130 episodes with each episode running 58:46 (no commercials on PBS). That would be one huge boxed set. Much of the material with the muppets was recycled throughout the year and then used in other seasons. I do think that sets of 6 to 10 hours of material from each season might be interesting to see how the material and cast changed to reflect the times. It might be interesting but I'm not sure if it would really sell. Maybe a collection of the muppets best sequences??

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
I also caught part of the 35th Anniversary show. I noticed that in the segment showing brief clips from every year of production, they showed Pixar's lamps (1990, IIRC). Does anybody know if they just showed "Luxo, Jr." on the show, or did Pixar produce a special clip just for Sesame Street?

JKS

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I agree that they should release the full Mr. Hooper episode, but I doubt they would. If they ever did release a box set, they'd probably include part of it, but I doubt the full episode will ever be shown or released again.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I think a "Best of Collection" from each season would be do-able, all though that would be 35 seasons. But I would only be buying pretty much pre-Elmo stuff anyhow.

p.s. That 35th Anniversary special was anything BUT special......I was sorely disappointed.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I'll go with the consensus and say that best ofs are the way to go with this show, especially given how much stuff was repeated throughout the years.

I'd give serious consideration to buying some of the older stuff though, long before Elmo was the focus.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

I agree with you. Maybe the write-up in my local paper was written by someone who didn't actually watch the show, but reading it made me think that it was going to be an hour long retrospective full of clips and highlights.

The Mr. Rogers retrospective was much better.

Steve

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

I would pay any ammount of money for some proper themed releases of classic SS!

They could compile the News Flash! sketches w/ Kermit The Frog onto a nice 2 disc release.

A "Grover The Waiter", "Super Grover" & "Singing Telegram" compilation of sketches onto a nice 2-4 disc box set.

All the classic Ernie & Bert sketches onto another 2 disc compilation release.

All the "Monsterpiece Theatre" sketches with Cookie Monster on a seperate compilation.

All the Big Bird, Snuffy and Kermit segments on a 2-3 "Star Of The Show" themed release.

Than all the obscure / lesser known Muppet skecthes and one-shots onto a packed "SS All-Star" themed collection, such as: The Count, Guy Smiley, Don Music, Forgetful Jones, Harvey Kneelslapper, Prarie Dawn, Sherlock Hemlock, Franklin Roosevelt, Lefty The Salesman, Amazing Mumford, Sinister Sam, Captain Vegetable, all the SS animal muppets (Gladys The Cow, Hoots The Owl, Benny Rabbit...), etc. Compiling all their short sketches.

Also, a nice 4 disc "Monster All-Star" themed compilation release starring: Cookie Monster, Oscar The Grouch (and Slimey), Herry Monster, Telly, Two-Headed Monster, Martian (yip yips), The Honkers, etc.

Finally, all the various cartoon and animated segments on a 2-disc compilation, such as: Typewriter, Pin Ball Number Game, Teeny Little Super Guy, etc. including all the memorable one-shot shorts.

Oh... and last but not least, a definitive collection of all the classic Sesame Street musical numbers from Oscar to The Beetles to Cookie Monster and Kermit to the live action numbers (Maria & Luis on the island, etc)...

If they would release these uncut and in their entirety, all possible sketches & segments included, I would sell my soul for this!!!

I GUARANTEE it would sell like mad too!

These deserve to be available in DVD format more than ANY other show, past or current, on television! So many generations have grown up with these characters and we need to have these available to go back and be able to show our children what it was like growin up 20-30 years ago...

This NEEDS to happen!!!!

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I was looking to see if there was a contact address for the People who produce Sesame Street, and all I could find was this address...

Sesame Workshop
One Lincoln Plaza
New York, NY 10023

I wonder if it's worth writing to and asking about DVD releases discussed about here?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure you could get a sizable petition going with the folks over at MuppetCentral.com to let them know that such a venture would be marketable. I think contacting SW would be a great idea and I'd love to hear their response...

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Would Disney allow Kermit to be used?

I think we'd sooner get best-of-characters than best-of-seasons. That way, they could get away with duplicating material (they'd want to squeeze the least amount of material on the most discs), and we all could boycott The Best of Elmo.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks