Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Boomtown on DVD!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 MattGentry

MattGentry

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted February 15 2004 - 02:13 PM

From the wonderful people at TVShowsOnDVD...

Quote:
Boomtown - the cop show starring Donnie Wahlberg, told from shifting viewpoints of the different groups of characters in each story - has been an oft-asked-about series here at TVShowsOnDVD. It's already available on DVD in Europe, but that doesn't do anyone in North America any good unless they have a region-free player. And so fans are impatient for a U.S.A. release of the entire series (which consists of 24 episodes over two seasons), just like the Brits have already gotten. All of you will be quite happy to hear this: Lions Gate-Artisan informs us that they are indeed working on a DVD release of Boomtown - The Complete Series. They are not able to tell us when to expect it out, exactly. But they do have it in production, and it means that fans will be able to enjoy this compilation at some point down the road, and probably sooner than you think. In the meantime, fans of Boomtown might want to check out Band of Brothers, if you haven't already. There are quite a few people who participated in both of these: Boomtown Creator/Producer Graham Yost also wrote on Band of Brothers. Donnie Wahlberg and Neal McDonough acted on both, as did Boomtown guest actors Rick Gomez and Frank John Hughes. This is an excellent mini-series, and might keep you busy for a time while you wait. But we realize that it's Boomtown that you want, and it looks like you shall be getting it finally! Stay tuned, and we'll have updates for you as the production period finishes and the details are announced.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No words...gasping for air.

#2 of 26 Matt_P

Matt_P

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted February 16 2004 - 03:27 AM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

This is fantastic news!

#3 of 26 Greg S

Greg S

Supporting Actor

• 991 posts

Posted February 16 2004 - 05:12 AM

Cool.

I never got to see this when it aired but was definitely interested in it.

If reasonably priced I will pick it up but at a minimum I will rent it.

Thanks for the news.

Greg

#4 of 26 Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted February 16 2004 - 08:27 AM

I think Boomtown has one of the coolest openings Posted Image

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#5 of 26 Kent Keltner

Kent Keltner

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted February 17 2004 - 07:53 AM

This news makes me especially happy as I was a big fan of season 1 and have been sitting on the fence on ordering the UK box set. (I think it'd come out to around $80 shipped, though which I can't afford right now... sigh...)

#6 of 26 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,448 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted April 14 2004 - 07:49 AM

We have a street date! Here's the update from the Digital Bits:
Quote:
NBC's Boomtown will find its way to DVD as a 6-disc set on July 20th, complete with cast and crew audio commentary and more.
Posted Image Posted Image

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#7 of 26 PatWahlquist

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor

• 735 posts

Posted April 14 2004 - 12:18 PM

24 episodes over two seasons? I thought the first was 22, which is a standard season, and then 4 on NBC at the beginning of this season. NBC then put it on hiatus, they eventually cancelled it, and then they aired the last 3 on one Friday night around Christmas just to burn them off. So, hopefully, we'll get all 29 (?).
ISO "Lost" ARG prints from Kevin Tong, Olly Moss, Eric Tan and Methane Studios.  PM me if you want to sell!

All reviews done on a Marantz VP11S1 1080p DLP projector.

Displays professionally calibrated by Gregg Loewen of Lion AV.

#8 of 26 David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted April 14 2004 - 12:49 PM

Pat, the first season was 18 episodes long and the second season only had six episodes made before teh show was cancelled.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

#9 of 26 Tim-H.

Tim-H.

Second Unit

• 427 posts

Posted April 14 2004 - 02:31 PM

Awesome. I loved this show, although I felt the 2nd season eps were diminished by trying to be more 'straightforward' in structure. I'll pick it up.

My only concern, since this is Lion's Gate, is that the special features appear on the discs, and not just the box. (That's right, LG--You've Been Served.)
Watch THE SNUGGIE KILLER on YouTube!

#10 of 26 Adam T

Adam T

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted April 14 2004 - 04:49 PM

Boomtown was one of the best shows on tv. These great shows always go unwatched. July 20 is around my birthday and last year I bought some tv shows. Guess what im getting. Posted Image

#11 of 26 Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted April 14 2004 - 06:05 PM

There will be special features - I know someone that was working on them.

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#12 of 26 Mark_Johnson

Mark_Johnson

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted April 14 2004 - 06:41 PM

Yes, I will definately be the first one to pick this up.

Unfortunately, the second season eps pale in comparison to the first on account of the adjustments the network made to it--totally abandoning the nonlinear format which made the show so original and entertaining in the first place.

The show wasnt getting the same ratings as gems like Fear Factor and Whoopi so NBC had to dumb it down for the masses. Its a shame. I hope they dont decide to kill Scrubs as well but I wouldnt be surprised.

#13 of 26 Mark_Johnson

Mark_Johnson

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted April 14 2004 - 06:44 PM

double post

#14 of 26 Larry Geller

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor

• 562 posts

Posted April 15 2004 - 04:51 AM

Quote:
The show wasnt getting the same ratings as gems like Fear Factor and Whoopi so NBC had to dumb it down for the masses.
If you think Whoopi is "dumbed down", and can be lumped with trash like Fear Factor, you obviously never seen it. It's one of the funniest, most intelligent, edgiest series out there. I liked Boomtown too, but I like Whoopi more.
Mmmm, snout!-Homer Simpson

#15 of 26 Mark_Johnson

Mark_Johnson

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted April 15 2004 - 05:10 AM

I have actually not seen an entire episode simply because it is painful to watch.

Where the hell do you get "intelligent and edgy" from? I havent seen more cliched and hackney jokes in a primetime sitcom in a while.

#16 of 26 Larry Geller

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor

• 562 posts

Posted April 15 2004 - 05:25 AM

Quote:
I have actually not seen an entire episode simply because it is painful to watch.
Real good way to fairly judge something, watch just a portion of it & then slag the entire series! She is trying to be kind of a liberal Archie Bunker, and is dealing with some of the same political & social issues. Unless you're a total right-winger, give it a chance. It's hilarious, much funnier now than in the first couple of episodes, as they have developed the characters more, and are dealing with the election.
Mmmm, snout!-Homer Simpson

#17 of 26 Joe_Pinney

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator

• 183 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted April 15 2004 - 02:13 PM

Wow, coming in late July? This is excellent news. Shame NBC canned it. It was a really well-made show.

#18 of 26 Gary Cliff

Gary Cliff

Stunt Coordinator

• 180 posts

Posted May 07 2004 - 11:32 AM

I just noticed that DVDSoon has Boomtown listed for pre-ordering...and it's listed at $43CAD (that's only about $31USD)!

#19 of 26 Joe Barclay

Joe Barclay

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted December 07 2004 - 01:57 PM

Is there any news on getting the last few episodes released?

#20 of 26 Jim Saunders

Jim Saunders

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted April 12 2005 - 04:50 AM

Best Buy has season 1 on sale this week for $17.99. I've never seen the show but based on reviews, I'm picking it up today.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow