-

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3244 replies to this topic

#1 of 3245 OFFLINE   Bill Laskowski

Bill Laskowski

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted December 18 2003 - 02:12 PM

A couple of observations after a second viewing:

1) When Aragorn et al. ride back from the Black Gate, there's black blood on Anduril. Remnants of the deleted MOS scene?

2) If you want to know where the idea of the fire beacons originate, read the beginning of Aeschylus's Agamemnon. They are used to signal the fall of Troy back to Greece.

3) Two weird reflections, in my mind, of the old Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., movie Sinbad the Sailor. PJ as the corsair reminds me of Walter Slezak (bushy eyebrows, baggy pants) in that movie, and the POV shot of the stone heading out of the sky at Gothmog is reminiscent of the way Anthony Quinn's demise is filmed (POV shot of Greek-fire ball descending).

#2 of 3245 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,685 posts

Posted January 14 2004 - 10:36 AM

Wow, I'm a huge fan of the EEs of the first two movies, seeing nearly every addition as a benefit, but damn, I sure hope some of those scenes you mentioned are *not* put back in there. Specifically:

1. The Mouth of Sauron, including a hand-to-hand battle between him and Aragorn, possibly also changing the dynamic of the final charge depending on how it's portrayed.

My Reason: I wasn't a fan of the first hand-to-hand scene with Isildur (I always thought Sauron was best unseen for the most part) and it was a little hokey how he's reaching down apparently so Isildur can cut his ring off. A hand-to-hand w/ Aragorn could be worse.

2. Gandalf confronting the Witch King, where the Witch King breaks Gandalf's staff. What ends the confrontation is unknown, as presumably it would take place after the Rohirrim arrive given the editing of the theatrical cut, which is what ends it in the book.

My Reason: First of all, has no precedence in the book. Second of all, as you pointed out, it would be odd to break Saruman's staff, and the to have Gandalf's staff broken.

3. All hell breaking loose in the Paths of the Dead according to Viggo.

My reason: Why is this needed? We've already got tons of war footage/all hell breaking loose footage. This would just be like heaping another 15 minutes onto Helm's Deep.

Aside from those three, the others you have hinted at would be more than welcome from my point of view. The three I have reservations with I hope PJ & Co. don't include, like how they cut Arwen from Helm's Deep (despite being filmed).

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#3 of 3245 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,685 posts

Posted January 14 2004 - 11:14 AM

That would make it more palatable, Craig...

#4 of 3245 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,685 posts

Posted January 15 2004 - 04:11 AM

John Doran Posted Image

Why do I get the feeling that you and I could talk for days about the book... Posted Image

Excellent points, great post.

#5 of 3245 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,685 posts

Posted January 19 2004 - 08:15 AM

Quote:
1 - "The Ringbearer has passed beyond my sight, I can no longer see Frodo from afar" or something to that effect, sayz Gandalf. Huh? Was this not the same Wizard who was wondering if we knew Frodo was alive earlier in the movie?
Holadem - I agree completely. This line was a Jackson/Boyens/Walsh addition for "tension" or whatever. This was not in the book at all, and if anything, in Tolkien's mythology the lines would probably be reversed, with Aragorn wondering and Gandalf asking him what his heart told him.

#6 of 3245 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted December 16 2003 - 09:25 PM

Incredible. I'm exhausted. Only time in my life I've ever been to a theater that started a movie on four screens, and had to "widen" it that evening to an extra 3 because, due to online ticket sales, etc. they had an overcommittal of tickets Posted Image All films released at the same time.

Madhouse in the parking lot Posted Image But, it was all worth it.. a row in front of me of all girls rooted on their apparent favorite character (care to take a guess?) and there were notable sobs and cheering at the right moments; ended with a big standing O.. that's rare.. to be honest, outside of really cult films, I can't think of any other film to ellicit that in a public showing.. not since Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back (and that -was- a cult audience)
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#7 of 3245 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,639 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 11:11 PM

Niklas,

Re posters:
Quote:
So it would be a lot easier if I could find a european source. Any advice is welcome.
I have used CloseUP posters for some time. I'm uncertain, of course, if they carry the "exclusive-for-NewLine posters you mentioned, but you could take a look.
They're located in Germany and they ship all across Europe (and perhaps further). Their prices are reasonable, they ship very professionally and will probably send you their free season folder ever since your order. Posted Image

Recommended.

Cees

#8 of 3245 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,639 posts

Posted December 24 2003 - 11:21 PM

Excellent post, David.

May I add a fourth possible reason?
(d) Perhaps it's a matter of honor not to use highly sophisticated power, unless absolutely necessary, against other intelligent beings who do not posess that power.

As an example, compare what happened during a battle in France during WW1. When the attack commenced, at a sign the French cavalry drew their sabers and, pointing them forward, gave their horses the spurs. In a wide row, they gallantly and forcefully charged towards the German positions - but the German soldiers didn't react for almost a minute. Not only because they had to recover their jaws from the cold ground, but also because they, with some of the old-fashioned gallantry as well, hesitated to start firing the machine guns they were lying behind.

Cees

(PS:
Old-fashioned gallantry. I believe it was in that same WW1, in Africa, during Christmas, that the German and English troops sort of declared a very local and short during truce. At Christmas eve they entered the no-man's land between the lines, unarmed except for some food, sweeties and bottles and spend the evening together, singing hymns, telling about their sweethearts and wishing each other a merry Christmas - after which they returned to their positions to resume the war.
C.)

#9 of 3245 OFFLINE   Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,567 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 06:47 AM

About Gandalf using his "magic" powers:

I have always taken it that wizard's "magic" can only affect other magic creatures and not mortals, or at least they were not allowed to use it on them. Also these magical creatures cannot be killed by mortal weapons, only by magic.

When Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas first meet Gandalf the White.
Aragorn?: I'm glad we didn't hurt you.
Gandalf the White: You could not have harmed me.

Gandalf could only inflict wounds to mortals if he actually fought with mortal weapons. Yes, in The Hobbit he kills goblins in a flash but I thought that was like gunpowder or other magical (as in technologically advanced) potion / substance.

Chuck Anstey

#10 of 3245 OFFLINE   Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,567 posts

Posted December 24 2003 - 06:26 AM

Quote:
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have always taken it that wizard's "magic" can only affect other magic creatures and not mortals, or at least they were not allowed to use it on them. Also these magical creatures cannot be killed by mortal weapons, only by magic.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, but there is absolutely no evidence of this assertion.

quote:

When Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas first meet Gandalf the White.
Aragorn?: I'm glad we didn't hurt you.
Gandalf the White: You could not have harmed me.

Few in Middle Earth could have harmed Mithrandir.

quote:

Gandalf could only inflict wounds to mortals if he actually fought with mortal weapons. Yes, in The Hobbit he kills goblins in a flash but I thought that was like gunpowder or other magical (as in technologically advanced) potion / substance.

Again, no such "rule" in middle earth. Things just don't work in such a clean cut manner in Tolkien's world. Pipin could have snuck up on Gandalf, cut his head off in his sleep if he had been so inclined. And Gandalf would have died... if you think this contradicts what I just wrote above, you're missing the context.

Gandalf simply uses as little "magic" as he can. IIRC, things got really really bad (as in cold) on Caradhras before he bothered to create a fire.

Wow, that was a pretty harsh rebuttal without a single reference to back it up. Now I will fully justify my general belief with explicit references.

Let's look at the three times that Gandalf used significant magical powers.

1. The wizard duel with Saruman. Significant amounts of magical energy and spells were used.
2. Weathertop. Here he used enough power against the Nazgul that the fight could be seen for many miles. You would think that that much magical power could kill or wound many many mortal creatures. This was also as the weaker Gandalf the Gray.
3. Moria. Gandalf first uses an incredibly powerful locking spell that is eventually broken by another magical creature, the Balrog, which causes the passageway to collapse. He then stops the Balrog from crossing the bridge, fights him up the long stairs and at the top of the mountain using a combination of weapons and magic.

With that much power there are not too many explanations to the question: "Why didn't Gandalf use his serious magical powers against the orc army?"

1. His and other magical creatures' powers and spells do not affect mortals. I cannot think of a single instance in LOTR where a magical attack was used against a mortal. Plently of ancient literature in the world to have that be the justification. Lots of stories about demons being held / destroyed / sent away by the equivalent of a spell that has no affect upon humans. Also those demons could not be harmed by weapons.

2. All magical creatures either by some higher force or agreement never use their powers on mortails. Again I do not recall a single instance in LOTR where a magical attack was used against a mortal. This also is the rebuttal to "But for the men of the world to successfully rule the 4th age they had to defeat the evil creatures of the worlds and not have some wizard / magical creature wipe them all out." Obviously there was an agreement to not use their powers directly in battle.

If you do not think of the those two reasons as being true, there is always a 3rd reason: Tolkien was a weak writer when it comes to logic.

Chuck Anstey

#11 of 3245 OFFLINE   DanR

DanR

Supporting Actor

• 676 posts

Posted December 18 2003 - 01:33 PM

I have not read the books. Loved the movie, but thought it felt like a few things were missing which I hope will be the the EE:

Denethor (Baromir and Faramir's father) - what exactly was the point of this character? He's an ass, likes his first son better, and tries to burn himself and his 2nd son. Oooohhhkay. Seems woefully undeveloped, and like a bunch of stuff was cut out.

Aragorn "shows up" - Ok, so there were some reinforcements of Orcs traveling via some ships. We know that. But then all of the sudden Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas show up with the Army of Ghosts on those ships? What happened? I want to see it (see my next point).

The Dead/Ghost Army - So the dead guys fight with Aragorn to fulfill their service/curse from when they bailed on Isuildur. Fine. But they show up, and magically just win the Minis Tirith battle in in like 5 seconds, seemingly whisping away every last troll, orc, etc almost instantaneously. This doesn't work. If they had showed what this army was capable of earlier (like maybe them attacking the orc re-inforcement ships), it would have played better. As it stands now, we see Aragorn recruit them, they show up and BAM, the battle is over. Like Aragorn opened up a magic box of ghosts. If that is the case, it is a huge letdown/ending to a great battle.

There were other small moments or lapses of time in the film that seemed rushed to me. Again, I hope all this stuff is shown in the EE.

Regards,
Dan

#12 of 3245 OFFLINE   DanR

DanR

Supporting Actor

• 676 posts

Posted December 18 2003 - 02:35 PM

Haggai, Yeah, that's what I mean. We know those ships are headed to battle with re-inforcements for the bad guys. But we never actually see Aragorn and the army of ghosts go and fight those ships and then sail them to the Palennor battle to surprise the orcs (as you mentioned the surprise element).

Quote:
Elrond also states that no living army can compare to them.
Well, I guess I'll have to take Elrond's word for it. Posted Image Perhaps a better way of stating my issue with this army is that they just show up and annihilate all the bad guys so quickly...we have nothing on which to base their ability in combat. Had we seen them in a smaller, more intimate battle (like overtaking the ships in a rather easily), it would be more "reasonable" for them to show up and make quick work of everyone in the Palennor Fields. As it stands now, they just kind of show up and obliterate everything, and to me it comes off as a poor ending to a great battle...almost too convenient. Had we see Aragorn and this army over-take the boats, we'd have been like, "Ok, cool, these guys are unstoppable, and Aragorn is taking them to turn the tide in the big battle." Then when they show up, it's much more plausible to me.

Again, having not read the books, maybe this is how it happens in the ROTK book. If so, then fine. My more cynical side says that there was a small "side-battle" for the boats in the book, but that New Line or Peter Jackson didn't want to incur the expense and hassle of shooting a water battle?!?!?!?

Overall, the movie was great...it's just that some things seemed cut-up a bit to me. If 45 minutes is indeed missing, then perhaps I'll just need to view the EE. No doubt in my mind though that this is the greatest trilogy and set of movies ever put to film. I kind of feel bad that it's over now...like I'm never going to see anything on a movie screen that quite equals what Peter Jackson has done here. That is such a depressing thought.

Regards,
Dan

#13 of 3245 OFFLINE   Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher

Producer

• 3,452 posts

Posted December 17 2003 - 08:57 AM

Quote:
Dan Brecher who i saw the film with today swore blind he saw Frodo's mithril shirt on the ground just before that fight starts! (he's seeing again as I type so he'll probably come back and confirm).

Whoaaaa there..... Posted Image "swore blind" is a bit off the mark, old boy. On second inspection, I believe it to simply be a white rock. There's a few little bits like that scattered about the place.

Dan

PS: It was frankly just as good the second time. Jackson having his usual editor Jamie Selkirk to work with on this one really makes the editing fluid, and dare I say it, near flawless. It flies by at a scary pace.

#14 of 3245 OFFLINE   Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor

• 978 posts

Posted December 16 2003 - 03:17 AM

Only 13 hours until the hour of doom ... how did it come to this? Posted Image

I've avoided most audio-visual spoilers, only reading descriptions of ROTK's content where possible (I did see the trailer and hear Into the West though).

I'm VERY psyched, and a lot of people here at work are, too. For once, I really do think the film will actually live up to the hype.

I remember two years ago, when Ron Epstein had announced he had seen Fellowship of the Ring, I asked him a question: Did it provide that true but elusive fantasy feel that very very few films of its genre have given? He had said yes, and to a good degree I thought it did as well when I saw it. The Two Towers did not nearly as much elicit that feel, but both films really did give something more than I expected: I got to witness *great* filmmaking in a mass-marketed film, something I usually have gotten only from independent, lesser-known titles. While I'm really hoping Jackson has recaptured for us that oh-so-hard-to-do-right fantasy feel, I'm still confident that, after seeing ROTK tonight, this series of films will go down as one of the greatest classics -- for storytelling, for film, for sheer epic scope, and (with some luck) for that true fantasy quality that will be the epitomy of its genre.

Oh, were it midnight already! Oh, the agony of the wait! Posted Image

--

On a tangential note, about that MSNBC article posted in the other thread, I have a friend like that -- he cannot get any enjoyment out of cartoons because his mind is SO literal that he cannot accept the "Cartoon Reality Rules", so when Wile E. Coyote hovers in midair for a couple seconds before falling 1000 feet to his "doom", only to come back again in another scene...my friend switches off immediately and rants about it. Though I do value our friendship, that's one of the most frustrating things to deal with in it -- and I think that MSNBC "critic" is of the same mold, and there's nothing you can do to change his ways. I don't think it's attention he's craving, but just the same, best to ignore him.

--

Is it midnight yet? What...only 11:15am, 15 minutes after I last checked?! Arrrrrgh!

DVDs (24 Feb 2006): Discs - 2579, Titles - 1688 (Avg. 17 Titles/Month) • Films I've Seen: 20052004200320022001

#15 of 3245 OFFLINE   Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor

• 978 posts

Posted December 17 2003 - 04:57 PM

I just wanted to quickly chime in a few words before going to bed -- saw it on the midnight first-show the previous night, and only now am having a chance to collect my thoughts on it. I'll have more to say after I do my review for the 2003 Film List thread tomorrow.

But for now just...WOW, WOW, WOW!!! I've never been more psyched to re-see a film EVER in my life...I think the closest in my past to this much excitement over the need to see it again was (amusingly coincidentally) Return of the Jedi back in the 80's when I was 12 (and for a film today to make me feel like the kid I was those years ago -- THAT is one of the highest praises I can give). FOTR I wanted to see again, but not desire deeply to see over and over and over, but this one I do. Despite some flaws (to me almost all very minor) I feel perfectly justified giving this film a 100%, and am comfortable in placing it instantly at a tie first-place spot as my favorite film of all time, right next to Miyazaki's Kaze no tani no Nausicaa (Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind).

I'll leave out all of my nitpicks for now (save them for my review), and dwell on some of my favorite moments.
[*]The flying shots of Minas Tirith, especially Gandalf's arrival and one of the battle-scene flyovers with the Nazgul attacking left and right...such incredible grandeur![*]The green-fire beacon of Cirith Ungul (or was that Minas Morgul?). That played PERFECTLY, and I think was the scene that really set everything into motion so well.[*]Gandalf's ride out to help the Rohirrim, and using his staff to thwart the Nazgul -- man that was sweet! Wish it'd lasted longer, that light was SO perfect![*]Faramir's final words to his father before leaving...I almost choked on tears, there was great emotion in that scene.[*]Eowyn's attack on the Witch King and its demise were utter perfection, both as a film scene and as a totally harmonious reflection of the book.[*]Shelob. Holy )%(%)@(#!!! I really DID feel the dread -- not the first moments of encounter (though I did enjoy Gollum's sudden panic into hiding), but the later "cat and mouse" game with Frodo ... creepy, if slightly amusing, but handled with JUST the right amount of horror. I also was on the edge of my seat with Sam versus Shelob -- great cinematic fight![*]Elrond's final expression at Aragorn's coronation -- wonderful![*]Haven't seen this mentioned yet (though I still have about 200 more posts to go through): The song "Into the West" fit SO WELL with the character sketches, watching these and listening to that song actually brought tears to my eyes. I still can't get that song and credit scene out of my mind -- it's like Jackson pencil-etched it in my brain as I watched the credits roll. I've not been so affected by a credit-ending audio/visual combo of this style since Time Bandits.[*]Sam's "but I can carry you" line and subsequent climb into the Crack of Doom -- that really got to me.[*]Theoden's end with Eowyn at his side probably brought the most amount of tears from me. If Sean Astin gets nominated (which I think he deserves), I think Bernard Hill should get equal consideration -- his performance was THE most powerful in the film, in my opinion.[*]The beacon fires were astounding (though I must admit I did think about the logistics of doing it on the mountaintops at some point).[*]"That still only counts as ONE!" (and what caused that line). That will go down with the very best lines of humor of all time.[*]Very tearful moment with Frodo leaving for the Grey Havens. And I did shed a tear or two on Sam's last line in the film.[*]I just can't say enough of the beauty and majesty of Minas Tirith. Just about every shot of that city was done with complete perfection. Wow, Wow, WOW, I can't give it enough praise! Those scenes alone make me want to charge right back into the theatre and see it again!

More later when I've reflected more on it (or when I've seen it again, likely on Friday).

DVDs (24 Feb 2006): Discs - 2579, Titles - 1688 (Avg. 17 Titles/Month) • Films I've Seen: 20052004200320022001

#16 of 3245 OFFLINE   Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor

• 867 posts

Posted December 21 2003 - 07:11 PM

That scream is heard in every single LOTR film...it's become somewhat of an industry joke since it always seems to get crammed in to just about every big action film somewhere these days. And it always sounds cheesy and out of place. And I think the sound designers know that but don't care one bit! Posted Image

-Dennis
He must have died while carving it!...

#17 of 3245 OFFLINE   Doug Pyle

Doug Pyle

Second Unit

• 278 posts
  • LocationMiddle of the Pacific

Posted February 01 2004 - 10:02 PM

Quote:
I still expect to discover he has a palantir in the EE
Denethor HAS to have a palantir for his behavior to make any sense. I never read Tolkien's book before seeing the film, and I did not understand what was incredibly wrong with Faramir's father. He seemed an unexplainable nut-case, which was very jarring.

Overall, I found ROTK weakest among the 3 LOTR theatrical releases, because it depends so much on the viewer's filling in gaps by remembering storylines & facts from the book. Since I have not read ROTK, those gaps remain holes in the plot. The Denethor/palantir issue is one such hole.

On the other hand, both FOTR & TTT held up on their own - except that TTT desperately needed the trees to move to explain the turn of the tide at Helms Deep, as they did only in the EE. Apart from that, no knowledge of the book's storyline were needed to enjoy these first 2 theatrical editions.

ROTK will no doubt be a great film in its EE. Moments in the theatrical version that make no sense unless filled in by the viewer's knowledge of the book, include:

- Denethor's unexplained madness (needs the palantir as discussed).
- Where the heck are Bilbo and Frodo
going by boat at the end,
and what is such a big deal about it that it should drag on so? How often can they visit the Shire from there? It appears to be for post-traumatic stress recouperation. (I understand the book makes this departure clear, and that fans of the book love this ending, but without having read the book, the film absolutely fails on this point.)
- Why does Frodo have to
leave the Shire? A little shoulder pain once a year is the only explanation the film offers.
(Again the book makes this more clear, I am told.)
- Post ring conflict is needed, i.e. Saruman needs to mess with the Shire as I'm told happens in the book. Otherwise, why would the hobbits want Sam in charge? They know nothing of his heroism. He'd be seen as an odd-ball like Bilbo and Frodo, meddling in far-off matters of no concern to hobbits. And it offers some surprise, as we all knew what would become of the ring. More importantly, this part would support the theme that Gandalf wants Men (and hobbits) to learn to deal with problems without the aid of wizards.
- What happened to Saruman? He completely disappeared in ROTK. How is it that he's stuck in his tower? He can't swim? He simply gives up? Why does Gandalf say he is now powerless? (I have since read this part of the book, and of course the confrontation where Saruman is
cast from the council of wizards, and the palantir thrown by Wormtongue, and Treebeard is guarding the tower
are all essentials that were left out.

There are a few others but these are uppermost in mind. I expect the EE will take care of at least some of these shortcomings.

#18 of 3245 OFFLINE   Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra

Producer

• 3,501 posts

Posted December 16 2003 - 01:15 AM

I won't be at the midnight showing but will be there with the missis on Wednesday afternoon (the start of my holiday vacation). Posted Image We are both looking forward to this one. Have fun, everyone.

~Edwin
DVD Unwind: Paradise Now (Coming) • King Kong - - • KeaneThe Squid And The WhaleA History Of ViolenceHarry Potter and the Goblet of FireThe Best Of Youth (Italy) • Good Night And Good LuckHowl's Moving CastleWalk The Line - - • ZathuraNorth Country

#19 of 3245 OFFLINE   Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra

Producer

• 3,501 posts

Posted December 18 2003 - 02:09 AM

Very nice discussion points. This is quite a trilogy in itself. I loved it. I got a good laugh from this one:

Quote:
Set on its two giant legs of the towers, the "eye of Sauron" looks unmistakably like a big, angry vagina in the sky.

It just shows where this critic's mind was when he was watching the film. Posted Image Oh well.

~Edwin
DVD Unwind: Paradise Now (Coming) • King Kong - - • KeaneThe Squid And The WhaleA History Of ViolenceHarry Potter and the Goblet of FireThe Best Of Youth (Italy) • Good Night And Good LuckHowl's Moving CastleWalk The Line - - • ZathuraNorth Country

#20 of 3245 OFFLINE   Graham Perks

Graham Perks

Second Unit

• 320 posts

Posted December 18 2003 - 08:28 AM

I didn't care too much for the lighthouse Sauron. I wasn't too sure why it should be scanning inside Mordor, since the whole point is that Aragorn and co are bringing up the army so that Sauron thinks that *they* have the Ring.

But it all paid off with once the Black Gate open, and everyone is basking in the glow of the Eye. You could almost feel Sauron's will pushing his troops forth. Fantastic climax.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow