Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Can anybody name some big speakers?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 of 37 OFFLINE   Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 05:59 PM

My brother is lookin 2 get a pair of floorstandings for this pretty old like 600 watt into 2 ohm amp. He's got these 2 very old mtx speakers and he's going to get new ones for his basement i guess he's tryin to fill the room with just 2 speakers i dunno. He wants big speakers, completely for music and doesnt want to get a subwoofer so the speakers are gonna have to be able to do some serious bass. He wants big speakers and by big i mean something bigger then 9 inches wide and something bigger then 45 inches tall. Price range probably somewhere between $3,000-$5,000 a pair, can anybody suggest any? The only speaker i know of that would be of any interest to him is the Klipsch RF-7 or the JBL E100s.
I work on Film, Animation & Sound Design in downtown Chicago.

#2 of 37 OFFLINE   Jack N

Jack N

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 07:06 PM

Try the Definitive Technology 7000 series. You'll have all the bass you can handle and then some.

#3 of 37 OFFLINE   Kevin T

Kevin T

Screenwriter

• 1,407 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 07:34 PM

in that price range, my fave is the gershman acoustic avant garde rx-20. it goes down to 24 hz though it doesn't fit his size requirement as they are only 36" high and have a pyramid-shape with a 12" by 12" base which tapers into a 6" x 2" top. how big is the room he's trying to fill with music? kevin t
religion is the opiate of the masses

#4 of 37 OFFLINE   Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 10:09 PM

Well it's gonna be in the basement so were talkin like 20x40 or something, it's basically a rectangle basement, i think he's basically just tryin to turn it into a party room sort of, i would of figured havin 4 or more speakers would do better but he's avid on just 2.

#5 of 37 OFFLINE   Eric Eash

Eric Eash

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 12:25 AM

i think he's looking for these Alpha LScompletely assembled and ready to play, they are $100 under his budget at $4900, or if he wants to build the cabinet himself, only $2000. i wish i had room for some, but my sub is already too big, more big speakers and the wife would kill me.

eric
"Everybody thinks they have a sense of humor, even if they don't." -favorite movie quote!

Can your sub hit 120db @ 10Hz?...Just wondering.
My DIY Sub for sale
My DVDs

#6 of 37 OFFLINE   Eric C D

Eric C D

Second Unit

• 285 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 02:34 AM

Wow! That budget will buy some very nice speakers. My tastes run into things slightly smaller and right about that width, but here's a very good LARGE speaker:
VMPS RM40

Or that price will get him into electostatics - I'd still recommend a subwoofer though:
Martin Logan

[edit]Had another thought: Vandersteen 3As [/edit]

good luck,

Eric

#7 of 37 OFFLINE   Jacinto

Jacinto

Second Unit

• 418 posts
  • LocationLittleton, Colorado

Posted January 27 2004 - 04:51 AM

If he tripled his budget, he could pick up some used Dunlavy SC-VI's. Since he's looking for a big speaker, 78" tall by 18" wide at 530 lbs. each should do the trick...
Chachi Hernandez
Illustrator

#8 of 37 OFFLINE   alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 05:42 AM

These are priced a bit higher than $5,000 at $6,200, but they'll really do - suggest the Legacy Focus 20/20. I've owned a pair for a number of years and can give them a glowing endorsement, and the latest version seems to be even better. Dimensions are 55" x 15" x 13". Weight is 185 lbs. each.
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#9 of 37 OFFLINE   Tom Fynan

Tom Fynan

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 05:55 AM

Your brother should also check out Magnepan speakers. They are planar, floor standing, and can get very big. I have a pair of 20's that are 72 x 24 inches apiece. They are outstanding speakers, do not need a subwofer, but are more money than he may want to spend ($20,000 for the pair). Magnepan 3.6s are smaller, around 60 x 18 inches, and less expensive. I don't know the exact price, but it is well within the budget you mentioned. 3.6's could get by without a subwoofer, especially if they are used mainly for music. Tom Fynan

#10 of 37 OFFLINE   Doug_H

Doug_H

Supporting Actor

• 588 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 06:05 AM

I agree with tom, I just picked up a full maggie set up and I couldn't be more please. There simply isn't anything out there like them.
Every child has many wishes. Some include a wallet, two chicks, and a cigar, but that's another story.

#11 of 37 OFFLINE   Lee-M

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator

• 162 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 09:15 AM

The Mighty Klipschorn owns all other speakers' collective ass... they just need that corner placement, and the whole room becomes a vessel for musical ambrosia...

#12 of 37 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 09:43 AM

The new Onix Reference 3s would fit in that budget range. I’ve not heard them, but I have listened to both the Ref 1 & Ref 2 speakers—they are very detailed and like to be driven by good electronics. Also beautiful cabinetwork—but only available in maple and a black lacquer. The ACI Talisman is another speaker I’ve not heard, but I have never heard anything from this company that was not worth every penny. And a pair of these comes right in at $5,000. ACI is another company with just outstanding cabinet work (a variety of finishes).
¡Time is not my master!

#13 of 37 OFFLINE   Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 09:45 AM

Im wondering about that Alpha LS, since there's so many drivers from your feet to a foot above your head does the sound center well if your close to it?

#14 of 37 OFFLINE   Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 09:58 AM

the Alpha has 9 6" subs which makes me wonder, is it possible for a sub with four 6" subs in it to create more bass then a PB2-Ultra?

#15 of 37 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,919 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 11:39 AM

How old of an amp is "pretty old". I would think at that budget he might also think about upgrading the amp, as well.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#16 of 37 OFFLINE   Eric Eash

Eric Eash

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 12:17 PM

the alpha LS is a line-array speaker. i'm not sure about the technicals, but if you did some searching on the forum, you should be able to find some answers. also, the whole page the LS is on is pretty informative. i don't think 4 6" would equal a PB2+, let alone a PB2 ultra, but 9 per side, equaling 18 total, might give them a run for their money. eric
"Everybody thinks they have a sense of humor, even if they don't." -favorite movie quote!

My DIY Sub for sale
My DVDs

#17 of 37 OFFLINE   Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts

Posted January 30 2004 - 12:10 AM

I've printed out alot of the speakers named and showed it to him and reviews. But what's this about the Onix Ref 3? it's not on there site

#18 of 37 OFFLINE   Eric Eash

Eric Eash

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted January 30 2004 - 12:37 AM

it was introduced at CES a few weeks ago. do a search on the av123 forum and you'll be able to find some pics. looks big and nice, and expensive. should be around $3500/pr., just a guess though. eric

My DIY Sub for sale
My DVDs

#19 of 37 OFFLINE   cabreau

cabreau

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted January 30 2004 - 01:13 AM

With a budget like that...your brother needs to buy these...

http://signature.par....ash/S8/S8.html
"...He who knows how to live can walk abroad without fear of rhinocerous or tiger. He will not be wounded in battle. For in him rhinoceroses can find no place to thrust their horn, tigers can find no place to use their claws, and weapons no place to pierce. Why is this so? Because he has no...

#20 of 37 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted January 30 2004 - 03:04 AM

With that powerful amp, I think this speaker should definitely be considered. There's a really wonderful review in last month's Stereophile, which you can access here: http://www.stereophi....ews/104legacy/

I'd also wonder if any of the Wilson Watt/Puppies would be in his price-range? Or maybe the Triangle Celius? Mmmmm.... JMLabs Grand Utopia Be (just a tad out of the price-range!).
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users