What's new

Can anybody name some big speakers? (1 Viewer)

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
My brother is lookin 2 get a pair of floorstandings for this pretty old like 600 watt into 2 ohm amp. He's got these 2 very old mtx speakers and he's going to get new ones for his basement i guess he's tryin to fill the room with just 2 speakers i dunno. He wants big speakers, completely for music and doesnt want to get a subwoofer so the speakers are gonna have to be able to do some serious bass. He wants big speakers and by big i mean something bigger then 9 inches wide and something bigger then 45 inches tall. Price range probably somewhere between $3,000-$5,000 a pair, can anybody suggest any? The only speaker i know of that would be of any interest to him is the Klipsch RF-7 or the JBL E100s.

Jack N

Agent
Try the Definitive Technology 7000 series. You'll have all the bass you can handle and then some.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
in that price range, my fave is the gershman acoustic avant garde rx-20. it goes down to 24 hz though it doesn't fit his size requirement as they are only 36" high and have a pyramid-shape with a 12" by 12" base which tapers into a 6" x 2" top. how big is the room he's trying to fill with music?

kevin t

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
Well it's gonna be in the basement so were talkin like 20x40 or something, it's basically a rectangle basement, i think he's basically just tryin to turn it into a party room sort of, i would of figured havin 4 or more speakers would do better but he's avid on just 2.

Eric Eash

Second Unit
i think he's looking for these Alpha LScompletely assembled and ready to play, they are $100 under his budget at $4900, or if he wants to build the cabinet himself, only $2000. i wish i had room for some, but my sub is already too big, more big speakers and the wife would kill me.

eric

Eric C D

Second Unit
Wow! That budget will buy some very nice speakers. My tastes run into things slightly smaller and right about that width, but here's a very good LARGE speaker:
VMPS RM40

Or that price will get him into electostatics - I'd still recommend a subwoofer though:
Martin Logan

[edit]Had another thought: Vandersteen 3As [/edit]

good luck,

Eric

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
If he tripled his budget, he could pick up some used Dunlavy SC-VI's. Since he's looking for a big speaker, 78" tall by 18" wide at 530 lbs. each should do the trick...

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
These are priced a bit higher than $5,000 at $6,200, but they'll really do - suggest the Legacy Focus 20/20. I've owned a pair for a number of years and can give them a glowing endorsement, and the latest version seems to be even better. Dimensions are 55" x 15" x 13". Weight is 185 lbs. each.

Tom Fynan

Stunt Coordinator
Your brother should also check out Magnepan speakers. They are planar, floor standing, and can get very big. I have a pair of 20's that are 72 x 24 inches apiece. They are outstanding speakers, do not need a subwofer, but are more money than he may want to spend ($20,000 for the pair). Magnepan 3.6s are smaller, around 60 x 18 inches, and less expensive. I don't know the exact price, but it is well within the budget you mentioned. 3.6's could get by without a subwoofer, especially if they are used mainly for music.

Tom Fynan

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I agree with tom, I just picked up a full maggie set up and I couldn't be more please. There simply isn't anything out there like them.

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
The Mighty Klipschorn owns all other speakers' collective ass... they just need that corner placement, and the whole room becomes a vessel for musical ambrosia...

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The new Onix Reference 3s would fit in that budget range. I’ve not heard them, but I have listened to both the Ref 1 & Ref 2 speakers—they are very detailed and like to be driven by good electronics. Also beautiful cabinetwork—but only available in maple and a black lacquer.

The ACI Talisman is another speaker I’ve not heard, but I have never heard anything from this company that was not worth every penny. And a pair of these comes right in at $5,000. ACI is another company with just outstanding cabinet work (a variety of finishes).

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
Im wondering about that Alpha LS, since there's so many drivers from your feet to a foot above your head does the sound center well if your close to it?

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
the Alpha has 9 6" subs which makes me wonder, is it possible for a sub with four 6" subs in it to create more bass then a PB2-Ultra?

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
How old of an amp is "pretty old". I would think at that budget he might also think about upgrading the amp, as well.

Eric Eash

Second Unit
the alpha LS is a line-array speaker. i'm not sure about the technicals, but if you did some searching on the forum, you should be able to find some answers. also, the whole page the LS is on is pretty informative. i don't think 4 6" would equal a PB2+, let alone a PB2 ultra, but 9 per side, equaling 18 total, might give them a run for their money.

eric

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
I've printed out alot of the speakers named and showed it to him and reviews. But what's this about the Onix Ref 3? it's not on there site

Eric Eash

Second Unit
it was introduced at CES a few weeks ago. do a search on the av123 forum and you'll be able to find some pics. looks big and nice, and expensive. should be around $3500/pr., just a guess though.

eric

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
With that powerful amp, I think this speaker should definitely be considered. There's a really wonderful review in last month's Stereophile, which you can access here: http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeak...ews/104legacy/

I'd also wonder if any of the Wilson Watt/Puppies would be in his price-range? Or maybe the Triangle Celius? Mmmmm.... JMLabs Grand Utopia Be (just a tad out of the price-range!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks