What's new

Can i get better than Apple Homepods for Dolby Atmos? (1 Viewer)

jack ZZ

Auditioning
Real Name
jack
Hi,

I have ATV 4k and Sony KD-75XF9005 TV. I bought a pair of Apple Homepod (not the mini) to replace an old KEF sound bar i had so I can get Dolby Atmos. They have far more clarity but I was expecting a more submersive surround sound. Its great sound but only infront 0f me, nothing really gets to me or over and to the sides of me. Can I get better or am i expecting too much without building a true home theater?

To keep compliant with the missus if i upgrade again i need to get another soundbar so it visually looks like how it used to and could sneak in some rear speakers if wireless from the soundbar. But no big receivers and floor speakers and cables everywhere etc.

As my TV isnt eARC i understand i need to connect the ATV 4K into the soundbar and then make sure the soundbar is compatible to pass through the dolby vision 4k to the TV. Then set the ATV to use the soundbar as default sound output.

I want it this way as well as my missus hates loud noises so when she watches terestrial TV or a DVD she will want it just playing on the TV speakers so i will connect the DVD directly into the TV and set the TV to use internal speakers.

My room is large open plan L shaped with high ceiling (see below attached). Can the Ambeo handle this, will it fill the area where we sit with sound for movies. Or is there a better solution? I was looking at Bluesound setup as it has rear speakers but their sub doesnt have multiple HDMI and my TV doesnt have eARC for supporting Dolby Atmos.

Attachments

• floortv.png
    floortv.png
    45.4 KB · Views: 87

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hi,

I have ATV 4k and Sony KD-75XF9005 TV. I bought a pair of Apple Homepod (not the mini) to replace an old KEF sound bar i had so I can get Dolby Atmos. They have far more clarity but I was expecting a more submersive surround sound. Its great sound but only infront 0f me, nothing really gets to me or over and to the sides of me. Can I get better or am i expecting too much without building a true home theater?

To keep compliant with the missus if i upgrade again i need to get another soundbar so it visually looks like how it used to and could sneak in some rear speakers if wireless from the soundbar. But no big receivers and floor speakers and cables everywhere etc.

As my TV isnt eARC i understand i need to connect the ATV 4K into the soundbar and then make sure the soundbar is compatible to pass through the dolby vision 4k to the TV. Then set the ATV to use the soundbar as default sound output.

I want it this way as well as my missus hates loud noises so when she watches terestrial TV or a DVD she will want it just playing on the TV speakers so i will connect the DVD directly into the TV and set the TV to use internal speakers.

My room is large open plan L shaped with high ceiling (see below attached). Can the Ambeo handle this, will it fill the area where we sit with sound for movies. Or is there a better solution? I was looking at Bluesound setup as it has rear speakers but their sub doesnt have multiple HDMI and my TV doesnt have eARC for supporting Dolby Atmos.

Yeah, basically... can't expect much more w/ that.

However, this recent offering might be right up your alley (although it likely still won't give the impression of height/overhead that Atmos promises/offers), if the price isn't too high for you...

Maybe they'll add height channel speakers at some point...

_Man_

jack ZZ

Auditioning
Real Name
jack
yes that Sony looks nice. just wonder if my ceiling is too high as the speakers will have to be stood on the cabinet that runs along the wall under the TV so about 60cm high off the ground. meaning the top of the speaker will be about 2.3m under the ceiling. But i like the promo video i saw of the dome it creates.

Local shop is trying to sell me Bluesound system (soundbar + sub + 2 rears) which is similar price to the sony. They claim it will give same Atmos submersive experience. But i asked them how much of the cost has gone into the stuff i dont want (the streaming stuff and making the speakers generic).

Whats your view guys/gals?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks