Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

new Spider-Man Deluxe Edition DVD out before Spider-Man 2 hits the screen

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
175 replies to this topic

#1 of 176 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 01:51 AM

http://superherohype...ndex.php?id=625

this was to be expected.

Quote:
Columbia TriStar is preparing a Spider-Man deluxe edition for release before Spider-Man 2 lands July 2.

"The New Line strategy shows that consumers really will repeat a home video purchase of essentially the same product in a short time frame, provided there is sufficient differentiation between the releases," says Video Store magazine's Judith McCourt.

Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#2 of 176 Sven Lorenz

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 02:18 AM

Quote:
provided there is sufficient differentiation between the releases

That quote almost screams "Director's Cut" or "Extended Edition".

#3 of 176 JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted December 29 2003 - 02:41 AM

Come on extended in-the-rain scene in slo-mo... Posted Image

#4 of 176 PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 02:45 AM

Quote:
"The New Line strategy shows that consumers really will repeat a home video purchase of essentially the same product in a short time frame, provided there is sufficient differentiation between the releases," says Video Store magazine's Judith McCourt.

No, the New Line "strategy" involves letting people know in advance that two different releases will be made with different extras. What this is is basically cashing in on a sequel, which is generally frowned upon. And it's far from "essentially the same product"...

#5 of 176 Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,375 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 02:52 AM

PaulP,

I agree completely.

What Columbia/Tristar is doing is nothing they haven't done before. MiB II and Stuart Little come to mind.
And, unlike the LotR releases, those reissues were essentially crap and not upgradeworthy (I think the main difference was a new featurette on the sequel), so hopefully this time a deluxe rerelease will actually deserve the name deluxe. I'm not holding my breath.

Chris

#6 of 176 Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,263 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 02:53 AM

If they inserted two hours of the rain footage, I'd buy it. But probably not otherwise. Posted Image

#7 of 176 Eric Larsen

Eric Larsen

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 03:16 AM

This would have to at least have that Tobey Maguire commentary that was previously available through that online event. Of course it will have something from the new movie..

Or maybe it will just include a film cell and a book.

Digital Bits had listed the previous version as being a bit lacking. Maybe it will include more on the comic history. That Stan Lee disc was nice though.

Did that lawsuit with Stan Lee ever get worked out?

#8 of 176 Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor

• 740 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 03:54 AM

No, the New Line "strategy" involves letting people know in advance that two different releases will be made with different extras. What this is is basically cashing in on a sequel, which is generally frowned upon. And it's far from "essentially the same product"...

This is exactly what I was thinking when I read that quote. The absolute key to why people are so happy with New Line I think has to do with their honesty as much as the quality of the releases. I like knowing what is coming down the pipe for these releases.

That being said, I would love a 3 disc set along the lines of the Black Hawk Down set, just packed with extras.

#9 of 176 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 04:10 AM

It would be great to see a feature on Steve Ditko, co-creator of Spider-Man but that is very unlikely indeed.

I would guess that it is the Tobey Maguire commentary that will be added.

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#10 of 176 Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 04:19 AM

Somehow I'm thinking that it will mainly be re-packaged from the previous 2-disc set, taking some stuff out from that first set and adding in some Spider-Man 2 promo fluff.

As long as they took out all of the unnecessary Smith footage, that would be fine with me. Otherwise, no double dip.
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#11 of 176 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,197 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 04:19 AM

Quote:
No, the New Line "strategy" involves letting people know in advance that two different releases will be made with different extras.

Yup - if this Spider-Man disc does materialize, it follows the CTS strategy: milk every movie for as many releases as possible...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#12 of 176 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,229 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 04:46 AM

I am a "fan" of Superbits, but I agree New Line's strategy is much different than Columbia's. The writer and person quoted for that article don't seem to really understand the differences going on here.

Note the article never mentions the word "Superbit" but considering the word "Deluxe" is used with some of them, it seems more than likely it will be a Superbit.

#13 of 176 JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted December 29 2003 - 04:53 AM

That's right, I forgot about the DVDROM-only commentary that I never listened too, because I only recently got a DVDRom drive.

#14 of 176 Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit

• 420 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 05:15 AM

Cripes... and I just got the Spider-man limited edition box set a while ago. Anyone know if it would be wise to ditch this for the upcoming re-re-release? I try to minimize double-dipping unless I can't avoid getting the ideal set. I'm weird like that.
"-king sixty-three hundred dollar suit! COME ON!" - Gob

John 3:16My DVD CollectionMy CD Collection

#15 of 176 David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 06:51 AM

The only way I'd double dip on this is if it contained a new cut of the film.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#16 of 176 Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 07:21 AM

Quote:
The absolute key to why people are so happy with New Line I think has to do with their honesty as much as the quality of the releases.

Not only that, but New Line (and Peter Jackson) cleverly made sure that the two releases of The Lord of the Rings movies did not duplicate any content, not even the same cut of the film. Consumers could buy either the two-disc set or the four-disc set and be happy, but if they bought both, they essentially ended up with a six-disc set of the movie. I find it highly unlikely that Columbia Tristar would do the same, based on past releases.

Quote:
The writer and person quoted for that article don't seem to really understand the differences going on here.

The person quoted, Judith McCourt, is the director of marketing research for Video Store magazine. She specializes in statistics and sales numbers related to the DVD industry. Her quote is odd, though, because she's basically saying that people will buy the same product as long as it's different.
Randy A. Salas
DVD Columnist & Feature Writer
Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper

#17 of 176 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,229 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 07:34 AM

Quote:
Her quote is odd, though, because she's basically saying that people will buy the same product as long as it's different.

It's beyond odd. It's incorrect and misinformed --- especially from such an "expert." But, maybe she was misquoted.

The more I think about this, I am wondering about something. Has anyone noticed there have been no new Superbits announced for some time, and the article failed to mention "Superbit" with this new Deluxe Spider-Man that's coming. Is Columbia still doing Superbits?

#18 of 176 TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,001 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 07:41 AM

they did release a superbit of spider-man in japan.. which is region 2.

JACOB

#19 of 176 Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 07:48 AM

If it ain't a Superbit with DTS, then I'm not double-dipping!
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#20 of 176 Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter

• 1,300 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 08:11 AM

Quote:

I agree with what others have said and I can only add: She simply doesn't get it, does she? Posted Image

A r t u r M e i n i l d
People Strategy Consultant (M.Sc. Eng.)Semi-professional Composer & Musician

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow