-

Photo
- - - - -

Speakers....grills off?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 George Caronan

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator

• 215 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 11:55 AM

I don't know if this applies to ALL brands of speakers...maybe, maybe not but does anyone here run their speakers without the grills. Does it affect the sound like say make it "breathe" more for a lack of a better analogy? Just a general question posed looking for answers. Thanks all in advance. I live in a pet-free, child-free, smoke-free but unfortunately not free mortgage house. Posted Image Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Cheers.

#2 of 23 CharlesD

CharlesD

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 12:10 PM

I often take the grilles off my speakers (B&W DM602 & DM601 S3s) just because I think it looks cool. I always leave them on when I'm not watching a DVD though. I have convinced myself that it does make a very small amount of difference to the sound, at least if you are 2ft from the speaker, but that's proably just psychology!

Posted Image

#3 of 23 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,532 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted December 11 2003 - 01:03 PM

I very rarely take the grills off. No good reason, they sound great on or off...Posted Image

A/V-2s
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#4 of 23 Brian OK

Brian OK

Supporting Actor

• 551 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 01:13 PM

I listen to my front trio with grills off. The surrounds have the grills on.

BOK
BOK

#5 of 23 CarlosM

CarlosM

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 03:00 PM

is it wrong to stare at that picture of the b&w and drool, even though i own them too?

#6 of 23 Bret Pritchett

Bret Pritchett

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 03:33 PM

^ is that speaker stand made just for those B&Ws?

it looks very nice

#7 of 23 ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 04:07 PM

Does it affect the sound like say make it "breathe" more for a lack of a better analogy?

Yes. It affects the sound.

That does not mean that you should or should not use the grilles. Likely, most speakers are designed for grilles off, but listen, and do what you prefer. For instance, paradigm designs the grilles as part of the sound, they've got a baffle thing on the reference series, for instance. You are *supposed* to use them with the grilles on.

The grilles will tame the highs just a touch, so listen with them on and off, and see what you like.

#8 of 23 DavidLW

DavidLW

Stunt Coordinator

• 161 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 04:13 PM

It probably doesn't make any difference in HT. But most music audiophiles will swear that speakers with grill off sounds "better". Specially with the high frequencies. I never had to ponder the question with Martin Logans CLS2z.

#9 of 23 CharlesD

CharlesD

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 04:21 PM

Quote:
is that speaker stand made just for those B&Ws?

Yes I think it is, but I have different stands for mine.

#10 of 23 george.Legeza

george.Legeza

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 05:44 PM

I leave the grills off of my B&W DM303s and my LCR3. I'm pretty sure I can hear a difference with the grills on, but it's not enough of one to make me have a preference one way or another based on sound.

On the other hand, I think these speakers look great with the grills off, so that's the way they stay. Cleaning the grills of dust and whatever else collects in them is a pain too, so this fuels my laziness as well. Posted Image

I do keep the grills on the Polks I'm using at my rear, though. They're in somewhat odd places and the grills help them to blend in with the surroundings a little better.

Edit- CharlesD, your speakers are making me jealous. Posted Image

#11 of 23 Cagri

Cagri

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 09:53 PM

While I'm not an audiophile I can hear the difference with my Kef Q35.2s with grills on or off, they sound better with grills off. That might just be a phsychological situation though, the speakers look very beautiful to me and I may be biased Posted Image Still I leave them on all the time. When watching movies they distract me as they are a couple of feet away from the TV if the grills are off, and I can't hear the difference with movies anyway. With music I leave them on as well as I'm too lazy to put them on and off frequently...
Too much debt...

#12 of 23 Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 10:57 PM

Hell, I thought these were pretty honest answers.

It's pretty safe to say that the speaker grill is part of your overall system's frequency response and it's something entirely else to say that whomever designed the speaker did so with the knowledge that they would adjust the speaker's response characteristics to include that of the grill. As to whether these differences are of a significant nature is entirely a different matter. After all, something like an 1/8" increased toe-in, or leaving the blinds open or closed also has an effect on the FR.

There have been measurements done by individuals where the frequency response can be affected by several dB with the grills on and off and this occurs in the treble regions. Below a few kHz these differences essentially vanish. The situations where there are measureable differences are attributed to diffraction and interference effects from the driver. All of this is highly dependent such things as what drivers are used, where the crossover points are, where the driver is located on the face, the nature of the grill, etc.

So is it possible? Sure. If you happen to feel comfortable leaving them off, knock yourself out. You do realize though that this exposes your drivers to the elements and to the curious explorations of pets and children.

#13 of 23 Rich.S

Rich.S

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted December 12 2003 - 02:13 AM

I have Hales Concept 2s and whenever I'm doing serios listening, I take the grilles off. The grill assembly is about 3-4 lbs, and has a metal frame, with a bar that intersects the length of the speaker - so it's likely my grilles interfere more with the music than the average. Reviews might be a good place to read about the on/off dilemna. If you speaker has been reviewed, there's a good chance they mentioned what they sound like with the grilles on vs. off. Some speakers actually sound better with the grilles on.

#14 of 23 cabreau

cabreau

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted December 12 2003 - 03:04 AM

If I had some B&W's like that, I'd leave the grills off too. Posted Image
"...He who knows how to live can walk abroad without fear of rhinocerous or tiger. He will not be wounded in battle. For in him rhinoceroses can find no place to thrust their horn, tigers can find no place to use their claws, and weapons no place to pierce. Why is this so? Because he has no...

#15 of 23 cabreau

cabreau

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted December 12 2003 - 03:08 AM

???????

http://www.bwspeaker......del Nautilus

This is the first time I've been to their site.
"...He who knows how to live can walk abroad without fear of rhinocerous or tiger. He will not be wounded in battle. For in him rhinoceroses can find no place to thrust their horn, tigers can find no place to use their claws, and weapons no place to pierce. Why is this so? Because he has no...

#16 of 23 Kevin G.

Kevin G.

Second Unit

• 403 posts

Posted December 12 2003 - 03:20 AM

If I had some B&W's like that, I'd leave the grills off too.

NO S@#t!!! THOSE are SSOOOOOOO AWESOME!!!!!!!
glad I didn't see those when I was auditioning, (or maybe my wife is glad) It took me long enough as it was to decide
what's the price range of those pups?
If bread always lands buttered side down...
And a cat always lands on it's feet...
What happens when you strap a buttered piece of bread to a cat's back?????

#17 of 23 CharlesD

CharlesD

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted December 12 2003 - 05:36 AM

MSRP for the 602s is $600/pair (w/o stands) but typically they go for around $550. They sound as good as they look, so they are a bargain at the price IMO Posted Image

#18 of 23 cabreau

cabreau

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted December 12 2003 - 05:38 AM

I'm going to demo some Monday hopefully. I'm going to try to compare them to the Studio 20's, because I was VERY impressed with those.

#19 of 23 Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted December 12 2003 - 06:55 AM

Paradigm has designed the grills so that the speakers sound better with the grills on. A rep from Vienna Accoustics recommends that there speakers be listened with the grills off.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#20 of 23 ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted December 12 2003 - 06:57 AM

IMO, the 600 series is not fairly competitive with the studio series. The CDMs are more on par with the studio series, but more $$. The 700 series i've not yet heard, but is even more, and replaces the CDMs. I don't know how they will stand with regards to the V3 studios.

The 600 series is much more comparable with the monitor series in both price and performance.