What's new

Large Room: Speaker and Subwoofer Recommendations (1 Viewer)

lenoxbirt85

Auditioning
Real Name
lenox
As I moving into a new house, I'm looking for advice on (1) subwoofer size and (2) floor vs. bookshelf speakers.
The Room: The room is 25 feet by 25 feet except that one wall, perpendicular to the tv, only extends for 15 feet. The couch will be a sectional that will have the person sitting about 14 feet back.
The Plan: I'm not much of an audiophile, and I intend to primarily use the speakers for TV/movies. The plan is for an 85 inch tv and 5.x.2 sound, with the .2 hopefully being in ceiling.
The Budget: I'm looking to spend around 5,000 on the receiver, speakers, and subwoofer.
The Questions: Given those parameters, I'm hoping that someone could advise me on:
  1. How large of subwoofer(s) to get? Should I get two of that size?
  2. Should I get floor or bookshelf speakers for the left/right fronts?
If anyone has any recommendations on brands or specific speakers, I would greatly appreciate that as well. I have looked at the speaker/subwoofers buying guides, but made no headway with my research. I understand that (1) speakers should all be the same brand, (2) the sub can be a different brand, and (3) people praise the HSU subs. But not sure what is ideal for my space.
Thank you in advance!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
So much to cover here, so I'll just start and see far I get ...
(1) The front (left, right, center) should be from the speaker line (not just brand); the idea is so the tonal characteristics are the same as a film sweeps back and forth. The rears/surround can be different since it's mostly effects, but same is best; and since you're getting all new, why not have them all the same.
(2) Subs absolutely can be different brands, and almost certainly should be (for some reason the "main" speaker guys don't do as well with the subs; maybe because subs need a built-in amp and that extends their resources; but I'm guessing).
(3) Hsu is good (I have three); SVS is equally good. You have a very large space and you're going to need a lot of sub; so anything but the VTF-2. In fact, it would probably be better in your space to have multiple subs; as layout and budget permit. You could also go with mongo subs, like:
(I love Axiom speakers, but I've always thought their subs were overkill; however others love them.)

For your other general questions, everyone will have their favorite speakers (as stated, mine is Axiom); but really it comes down to taste. If you don't know you like the sound of horn tweeters (for instance Klipsch) stay away from them or definitely demo first (and for a period of time, people say they sound good at first, but get fatiguing). I'll add that, arguably, if you don't care as much about music, your selection is wide open. If you can't demo, go with an internet direct company that offer no questions returns (again, Axiom is one).

For your space consider 7.x.2. I've always been happy with 5.1, but you have the space to take advantage of the effects of 7.x.

Bookshelf speakers are great and are much more flexible and have higher performance than most people give them credit for. However, generally towers will go lower. If you don't go with multiple subs, towers are a way to compensate. But make sure you get towers that actually go low (down to 30-35 hz). A lot of towers are really just bookshelfs with a "built-in stand" and they won't help the cause.

lenoxbirt85

Auditioning
Real Name
lenox
As I moving into a new house, I'm looking for advice on (1) subwoofer size and (2) floor vs. bookshelf speakers.
The Room: The room is 25 feet by 25 feet except that one wall, perpendicular to the tv, only extends for 15 feet. The couch will be a sectional that will have the person sitting about 14 feet back.
The Plan: I'm not much of an audiophile, and I intend to primarily use the speakers for TV/movies. The plan is for an 85 inch tv and 5.x.2 sound, with the .2 hopefully being in ceiling.
The Budget: I'm looking to spend around 5,000 on the receiver, speakers, and subwoofer.
The Questions: Given those parameters, I'm hoping that someone could advise me on:
  1. How large of subwoofer(s) to get? Should I get two of that size?
  2. Should I get floor or bookshelf speakers for the left/right fronts?
If anyone has any recommendations on brands or specific speakers, I would greatly appreciate that as well. I have looked at the speaker/subwoofers buying guides, but made no headway with my r 192.168.1.254 esearch. I understand that (1) speakers should all be the same brand, (2) the sub can be a different brand, and (3) people praise the HSU subs. But not sure what is ideal for my space.
Thank you in advance!
issue got solved

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks