What's new

Bose wave radio alternative (1 Viewer)

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
OK, I have heard them all and I know what an over priced piece of crap anything with Bose on the front is. My dilemma is that with all my theater research and higher end buying habits I have never looked into an alternative for the Bose wave radio/cd.

My sister just left me a message asking if I would go in on one with her for my parents. My initial reaction was to call her back and explain what a marketing puppet she was blah blah balh.

It then occured to me that I don't know of an alternative that isn't a standard boom box. Let me know what you have found out there so I can continue as part of a Bose free family.

Thanks

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
This is my sisters idea and not my parents otherwise I would just get it.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well I think your best bet would be a nice boom box. I actually just picked up a Sony system that came with 2 3-way speakers that weren't too big and it comes with a nice little 8" subwoofer that can be placed wherever.

The cambridge system is nice if you are willing to pay about $400, if not go to a place like BestBuy and see what kind of stuff they are selling that is good.

BrianAe

Second Unit
I second the recommendation for the cambridge soundworks and sony also makes a similar product.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
I heard the Cambridge Soundworks CD740 CD/Radio the other day and it was the best sounding clock/cd/radio I have ever heard. It's sound is leaps and bounds ahead of the Bose Wave Radio. Sure a dedicated small stereo system would sound as good or better but if it must be the clock/radio style I don't think you can go wrong with the CD740.

Jonty Rees

Stunt Coordinator
...and I just got the Soundcity flyer in the mail, advertizing the Cambridge radio for, I think, less than $399. There was another similar alternative there also, with a little downward firing sub, (same as Cambridge).

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Is the Cambridge Soundworks option still the best recommended alternative to the Wave Radio?

RickyM

Agent
Tivoli also makes a really nice table radio. Around 100 bucks for a mono and an extra 50 or so for a second 'stereo' speaker. Sounds GREAT. You can add a subwoofer (75+/-) and a CD, but the cost starts getting up there.

I've listened to the Cambridge, the Boston, and the Tivoli (never heard the Wave, though). They all sounded great, but the Boston seemed like the best buy price/sound wise (to me).

Whatever you get.... NICE GIFT!

BenCosta

Agent
The Boston and Tivoli Models are NOT the same as the Cambridge and wave. The Cambirdig and Wave are built on a similar design philosophy to create additional bass. The Tivoli and the Boston use a more conventional system to create bass. There really is no comparison. I use the Tivoli in my office, it sounds fine for what it is. I bought the original Model 88 CD for my folks for Christmas a couple of years ago and it beats the pants off my Tivoli but again, these are entirely different animals.

Ben

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Ben is correct. The closest match to the Bose is the Cambridge Soundworks radio. The Boston is a nice radio, its tuner is especially good, but the sound of the Cambridge is much better for music. I'd go with the Boston if you listen to NPR news, talk radio, sports broadcasts and music as background. If you're looking to use it as a serious source for music, the Cambridge (or even Bose for a lot more money) will be much better.

demapples

Auditioning
Real Name
John Smith
Dear Doug: I am doing the same thing now, I just can't believe that small little box really cost $500 bucks to buy, The Bose Wave Radio, so I am also searching the web right now for a comparable radio, someone must have taken this thing apart and made it for $25 bucks somewhere, I just can't believe they are charging this much for their crap, it is a good sounding radio, but their company would explode if they just lowered the darn price so people could actually feel good about buying a product you know in your own mind can't cost much to make at all. I would feel like a sucker if I paid that much for a small table top radio, even if the "name brand" is BOSE! Let me know if you located a great alternative, I will do the same. Thanks for listening and am as frustrated as you sounded. John Smith Michigan :P

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
You're responding to an eight-year-old question, but welcome to HTF!

I'm not up to date on the latest models of any of these, but I strongly recommend that anyone interested in good radio to explore the offerings of Cambridge and Tivoli. I forget the history and relationships now, but these are in one way or another based on the original, and still highly prized, radios designed by KLH's Henry Kloss in the early 1960s. You can't do better than that. Hell, if you're so inclined, get yourself an original KLH on the secondhand market. Just make sure it's in good condition.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Oh, I forgot...

I would feel like a sucker if I paid that much for a small table top radio, even if the "name brand" is BOSE!

I'd feel like a sucker if I paid that much, ESPECIALLY if the "name brand" is BOSE.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks