Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Will this work? Newbie help!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Ron Heller

Ron Heller

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted November 29 2003 - 09:48 AM

I hace a Sony KP-43HT20 television hooked up to dss satellite. The picture is pretty good, but I want better. My question is will a scaler/doubler make a significant difference in satellite viewing?

Also most scalers/doublers have a db15(RGB) output. My manual states that this projection tv is not compatible with digital recievers configured with RGB or VGA output connectors. Will a db15 to RCA adapter fix this or will it just not work?

Thanks,
Ron

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   PaulT

PaulT

Supporting Actor

• 932 posts

Posted November 29 2003 - 10:23 AM

There is a similar question asked on the most recent Secrets of Home Theater Q&A. Here is the link:
http://www.hometheat...2003/qa373.html

check the 4th question from the top.
"One of the problems of taking things apart and seeing how they work--supposing you're trying to find out how a cat works--you take that cat apart to see how it works, what you've got in your hands is a non-working cat." -- Douglas Adams

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Ron Heller

Ron Heller

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted November 29 2003 - 02:20 PM

I see....so what I understand is there is no way to clean up dss satellite picture.

How about DB15 To RCA adapter, still curious if it will work on the 43ht20

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas

Second Unit

• 391 posts

Posted November 29 2003 - 04:20 PM

Hi Ron: I've been through the same situation as you. There's really not a good solution. It's amazing how the picture varies even from station to station. I purchased an external processor & used it for a while, but did not notice any improvement over my tv's ability to upconvert to 480p. The only advantage was the ability to connect the vcr, satellite & dvd to one component input on the tv. The picture quality gets even worse when watching a program that was recorded on our PVR (Tivo like recorder). This is one situation where my old 36" HDTV occasionally outperformed my current 58" HDTV! Blow up the picture & you an really see the imperfections!

I got the best results from calibrating the input using Video Essentials & turning the sharpness all the way down.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Ron Heller

Ron Heller

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted November 29 2003 - 04:46 PM

I ordered video essentials today. I guess I can't complain, everyone who comes over can't tell the difference between the old 36" picture compared to the 43". I will probably be happy after I calibrate it right, I was just hoping their was other options....but.....

thanks for the help and input guys

Ron