Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Best Movie With The Worst Music??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
97 replies to this topic

#1 of 98 OFFLINE   Matthew_S

Matthew_S

Second Unit

• 362 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 01:39 PM

In honor of the new dvd release of Scarface, i thought i'd pose this question....What's your pick for the best movie you've seen with the worst music...it can be scored music or pre-recorded....I would definitely say Scarface...that "Take It To The Limit" song is soooo awful...I don't mind the scored music but the rest.....

#2 of 98 OFFLINE   RyanPC

RyanPC

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 01:47 PM

I find those songs very cheesy and funny. In fact, I just downloaded "I'm Hot Tonight" off of Kazaa. Posted Image

I'd have to nominate Halloween 2... while it's basically the same music from the original, they changed it by making it more synthesizer-oriented... and it's horrible. I have grown accustomed to it for my love of the movie, but other than that I hate the score.

#3 of 98 OFFLINE   Seth--L

Seth--L

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 03:06 PM

I'm probably alone here, but I hate Blade Runner's score.
Well - There it is.
My Music Collection

#4 of 98 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 03:35 PM

It's actually "Push It To The Limit".

Hey, I thought that song was cool.....in the context of Grand Theft Auto III.

Posted Image

Seriously, I vote..... I don't know at the moment. Posted Image

#5 of 98 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,034 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 05:37 PM

I'll almost certainly be alone in this one.

I really love The Third Man.
And I love the Harry Lime Theme played by Anton Karas on the zither.

BUT...

They just do not seem to match up on film. The Third Man is a wonderfully dark film noir. The score sounds rather bright and cheerful and fun. I find it jarring every time I watch it.

But, as I say, it's not "the worst music" as the thread title says. It's just music that I personally find a poor match for the film (and I know most people will disagree).

#6 of 98 OFFLINE   Nick Senger

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 06:20 PM

I'll go with Ladyhawke . I think it's a terrific movie (one of my favorite fantasy flicks), but the music by Alan Parsons just doesn't fit.

#7 of 98 OFFLINE   JohnE

JohnE

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 07:24 PM

13th Warrior. I love the movie but for some reason the music just dosen't work for me. It makes some of the scenes that could have been great feel mediocre.

#8 of 98 OFFLINE   Krystian C

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 08:45 PM

I know I will be alone here, but almost all the Tarentino films, I love the movies but man do the music choices suck in my opinion. The only exception for the most part is True romance, which overall was pretty damn good.

#9 of 98 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted October 02 2003 - 03:01 AM

Quote:
I'll go with Ladyhawke.

Yep, Ladyhawke gets top honors. A pretty good movie ruined by a cheeseball soundtrack.

Jason

#10 of 98 OFFLINE   Michael Martin

Michael Martin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted October 02 2003 - 03:57 AM

Quote:
Ladyhawke gets top honors. A pretty good movie ruined by a cheeseball soundtrack.

Another vote for Ladyhawke. The atrociously dated score has kept me from owning this otherwise great movie. Was Alan Parsons the original choice, or was this another case of The Suits making a stupid decision based on demographics and marketing?

"You know, God has some really weird kids, and I find it hard to be in their company most of the time."
--Paul "Bono" Hewson

#11 of 98 OFFLINE   Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer

• 5,337 posts

Posted October 02 2003 - 04:17 AM

even another Ladyhawke. Someone needs to re-work that monstrosity.

bladerunner-thumb-510x227-39115_zpse210a

#12 of 98 OFFLINE   Charles Coates

Charles Coates

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted October 02 2003 - 04:50 AM

MANHUNTER, hands down. What were they thinking with that music?!

#13 of 98 OFFLINE   todd stone

todd stone

Screenwriter

• 1,768 posts

Posted October 02 2003 - 05:39 AM

Scarface
Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers, Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning, Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla,where the brave may live...

#14 of 98 OFFLINE   John Watson

John Watson

Screenwriter

• 1,937 posts

Posted October 02 2003 - 06:35 AM

The Birds

the music was cheep, cheep...

#15 of 98 OFFLINE   Matthew_S

Matthew_S

Second Unit

• 362 posts

Posted October 02 2003 - 06:39 AM

what about Highlander? I forgot about that one...the music for that is pretty awful. And Matthew...mismatched music is what i mean also.

#16 of 98 OFFLINE   Brent Bridgeman

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted October 02 2003 - 07:27 AM

Matthew, you're not alone in finding the zither music in "The Third Man" disconcerting. I'm getting more and more used to it every time I watch the film, but it used to bother me quite a bit. I felt like a philistine since it is so prominently featured in the credits and also so praised by reviewers, but hey, to each their own. It's still one of my favorite movies. The scene with
Harry Lime
leaning out from the shadows, giving us our first look at him, is a classic moment.

#17 of 98 OFFLINE   todd stone

todd stone

Screenwriter

• 1,768 posts

Posted October 02 2003 - 07:45 AM

"what about Highlander? I forgot about that one...the music for that is pretty awful"

no way, QUEEN was awesome music for Highlander.
Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers, Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning, Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla,where the brave may live...

#18 of 98 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted October 02 2003 - 08:01 AM

Wow, I was going to come in and bust out my favorite "worst score in a good film" choice Ladyhawk but I see that I am definitely not alone in my dislike for Parson's extremely out of place score.

Couldn't disagree more about Vangelis' outstanding BladeRunner score...to each his own I suppose but I simply couldn't think of this film without that groundbreaking soundtrack.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#19 of 98 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted October 02 2003 - 08:35 AM

Alan Parsons did NOT compose the score for Donner's awful Ladyhawke film. The music was composed, orchestrated and conducted by Andrew Powell. Parsons is only credited as being "Music score producer".
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#20 of 98 OFFLINE   BarryS

BarryS

Second Unit

• 424 posts

Posted October 02 2003 - 08:36 AM

Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Great movie. Baaaaaaad music.

Forum Nav Content I Follow