What's new

Best Movie With The Worst Music?? (1 Viewer)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Here are two very good comic book based action movies that could have been much better with truly distinguished music: Spider-Man and X-Men. Spider-Man in particular really needed a zippy theme to it.
I have to agree with Amy... Both Spider-Mans popped into my head as soon as I saw the thread title. The first commandment of making comic book super hero movies should be: The hero shall have a recognizable theme. Both X-Men and Spider-Man have themes but they aren't used prominantly or often enough to invoke the hero image when disassociated from the movie.

Superman and Batman both have iconic themes and I felt the only downside to The Incredibles was the lack of a powerful & cohesive hero theme (Their trailers got it right, weirdly enough. Now whenever I hear the music from OHMSS I think of The Incredibles).

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Goldeneye ...terrific Bond film, but Eric Serra's score is LAME. The brooding euro-techno sound feels completely wrong for a 007 adventure
No way Jose![Tim];)
I whish Eric was kept over David Arnold.The same goes for the Director:Martin Campbell over the ones that followed.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I also have to say that the Ladyhawke really sticks out for me, but that style was all the rage in the mid-eighties, so I guess they really didn't know any better.

I will admit I have a certain fondness for the Tangerine Dream score of Legend though. They did a much better job of making the score work with the film than the composers for Ladyhawke did.

I also dug the score for The Untouchables, especially the main theme.

And I have to agree with Krystian that the soundtrack to True Romance was quite solid, espcially the main theme, "You're So Cool", by Hans Zimmer. But I will admit that I also liked the other Tarantino music choices, especially on Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Death Wish 3.

Yea, the movie wasn't great, but it was fun to watch.

The soundtrack though, by Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin, did the music, and it is down right horrible and out of place by about 10 years.

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
I dunno, I was actually listening to the SpiderMan 2 soundtrack on the way to work today and (while the rock/folkish songs are pretty good too) I was actually very impressed with the two orchestral works. I remember them clearly from the theater and think they were pretty well tied into their characters. So I'm gonna chalk that up as a positive soundtrack, but thats just my opinion.

Been too many years since I've seen ladyhawk to comment though. I will throw my vote in that the Bladerunner soundtrack is great material...love it!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Agree with Never Say Never Again, dreadful droning 'muzak' by Michel Legrand.
What was Irvin Kershner thinking picking Legrand as composer of a James Bond score? And Kirshner did it again a few years later replacing Basil Poledouris with Leonard Rosenman [he of the Star Trek IV Xmas music ;)] for Robocop 2.

At first I hated Eric Serra's technopap score for Goldeneye, but it's sort of grown on me over the years, still it's the 3rd worst 007 score of all time, Bill Conti's crap score for For Your Eyes Only is no.2, with Michel Legrand's Never Say Never turkey of a score numero uno.:)

JonRowell

Auditioning
Goldeneye ...terrific Bond film, but Eric Serra's score is LAME. The brooding euro-techno sound feels completely wrong for a 007 adventure.
i'd have to agree with that. i haven't seen that film in a while (someone stole my dvd when i was in the dorms my first year), but one scene i remember being bad was the car chase with bond and moneypenney in his aston and onnatop in her ferrari. cool scene, odd music...:)

strangely enough, i liked the music a lot in the n64 game. :)

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
Someone mentioned "Witness", but I think another Peter weir film has an even worse score. "Gallipoli" is a very good World War I film, but it has an electronic soundtrack that is just awful. There is one particularly powerful scene with Mel Gibson struggling to get up a hill with abunch of bleeps and boops in the background. Just horrid!

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I will admit I have a certain fondness for the Tangerine Dream score of Legend though. They did a much better job of making the score work with the film than the composers for Ladyhawke did.
I agree, but watch the Director's Cut with Jerry Goldsmith's score; with the exception of one scene, Goldsmith's music is vastly superior to TD's very "of the moment" score.

The one scene where TD's music actually works better, IMNSHO, is the scene where Lily "merges" with the black dress. TD nailed the creepy feeling to the scene, and Goldsmith's music, while good, just didn't fit as well.

EricWilliam

Agent
my vote is for Office Space...movie is about as funny as they come, but that cRAP music really gets on my nerves..and please don't give me the "its suppose to be funny watching white people listening to cRAP.." no its not funny...

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Shrek 2

One of the things I loved about the first movie was the soundtrack. The music in the sequel was awful.

Peace,

DM

Matthew Prince

Stunt Coordinator
I must put forward Biggles: Adventures In Time (1986). Although it's a childhood favourite, (don't ask why!) for a film that mixes an interesting and unusual premise, why for the love of God, do we get this horrible synthesizer/soft rock score?? I mean there's Deep Purple and Motley Crue songs in there!

According to the IMDb "Stanislas" the music scorer has only done STV and low-budget films since, wonder why...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Day Of the Dead. Too 80's, and makes it hard to get into the movie.

A genre of film music I hate is the 70's horror soundtrack of misc. percussion hit randomly (Texas Chainsaw Massacre style) and loudly, with no beat, timing or rythm. I understand the intent to unsettle viewers, but it just annoys the piss out of me. Granted, I can't say it ever ruined a movie for me.

Rap music in Office Space, yeah, rap ruined Beat Street, Breakin', New Jack City, Krush Groove and The Wash too!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks