What's new

Best Movie With The Worst Music?? (1 Viewer)

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Another redundant vote for Ladyhawke. I would also like to vote for:

Every damn score James Horner has done where he ripped off his own work on Star Trek II! It seems like the guy had one good idea and he keeps repeating the same thing every time out.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Every damn score James Horner has done where he ripped off his own work on Star Trek II!
IMO every sci-fi score Horner did in the 80's (including Khan) was actually ripping off his earlier 1980 score for Battle Beyond The Stars....which of course was ripping off Jerry Goldsmith's score for Star Trek The Motion Picture.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yes there is nekkidness involved however be warned that it is in the context of a rape...but let's be honest here, in a Death Wish film (particularly #3) any violence is cartoonish in the extreme and this scene is no different so I feel no moral ambivalence in enjoying the nudity and disregarding the context of the scene...it's a Death Wish film for cripes sake! If I can't enjoy violence and nudity in a Death Wish film then...I...I just don't know what the hell this world is coming to!!:frowning: Besides...it's frickin counselor TROY man!!!

;)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Oh while I'm on the off topic Marina Sirtis engaging in nude scenes subject, I really wish they would release the 1983/84 Joseph Bottoms - Kirstie Alley thriller Blind Date , not only does it feature Miss Alley's only nude scene to date but it also features a rather nice extended scene with Marina....oh, and it's not a bad little thriller either.

WHOA...hold on a sec...you mean this film IS out on DVD for $5.99??? Well I know what I am buying next, Blind Date DVD

DeeF

Screenwriter
There are plenty of movies which would be better off without their music scores. Almost anything by Max Steiner comes to mind...

As big, famous films go, Dr. Zhivago could certainly lose its score by Jarre, talk about repetitive...

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
As big, famous films go, Dr. Zhivago could certainly lose its score by Jarre, talk about repetitive...
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
Blasphomus!

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I would have to disagree with those who don't like Office Space. I love how a movie with 2 white guys and a Indian guy uses rap music on the score. It fits in perfectly in the movie. I honestly don't think the movie would be as good without the rap songs.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I also disagree with...man I don't want to spend the whole thread just disagreeing but, anyway...
Witness. All the music is played on Synclavier, and it's by Jarre? Morricone? Whoever wrote it, it's bad, bad, almost ruins the movie.
Maurice Jarre's Oscar nominated synth score for Witness was an odd choice I agree but also pretty damn good IMO, the juxtaposition between the natural world the Amish inhabited and the cold artificiality of the synthesizer was very interesting and totally appropriate I thought...essentially they were being invaded by the "outside" world on all fronts, even in the soundtrack.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
my vote is for Office Space...movie is about as funny as they come, but that cRAP music really gets on my nerves..
IMO the rap music scenes are very accurate... esp. the beginning when he's driving to work. It's these little details (like Peter's apartment and furnishings) that make this movie a classic. People who haven't worked in those types of offices rarely get the humor of this movie...

I agree with Shrek 2... the Ricky Martin ending made me want to vomit. Why not toss in the Macarena while you're at it?

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Ill-advised pop samplings aside, I heartily agree with those who pointed out the marked decline of James Horner's orchestral scores over the years. Sure, his earlier stuff is derivative (of himself and others) as well, but it was certainly energetic, well-spotted, and engaging. From about the mid-90s, though...good lord. It literally became the SAME score over and over again, except every time it got slower, duller, and infected more and more of the movie's running time. 'Enemy at the Gates' and 'The Perfect Storm' are prime examples. Those don't hold a candle, however, to 'Troy,' where the music was so lackluster and overbearing (not to mention ripped-off wholesale from Shostakovitch and Britten) that it actively made me dislike what might have been an otherwise fun movie. (The horrible truth about that one, of course, is that it originally had a huge choral/orchestral score by Gabriel Yared, which was pulled at the last minute by a focus group. The pain!) So, yeah, I suppose my vote in this category would be 'Troy.'

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
(The horrible truth about that one, of course, is that it originally had a huge choral/orchestral score by Gabriel Yared, which was pulled at the last minute by a focus group. The pain!)
What's even more horrible is that Yared had samples of his score on his Website. They were FANTASTIC - some of the best action/epic music I'd heard in a while.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Shrek 2 is an easy candidate -- excruciating karaoke-esque covers of "Holding Out For a Hero" and "La Vida Loca", and the DVD is even worse, with the astoundingly bad, overlong, and unfunny "American Idol" parody at the end of the credits.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
excruciating karaoke-esque covers of "Holding Out For a Hero" and "La Vida Loca"
You're the first person I've run across that didn't love Jennifer Saunders or Eddie Murphy/Antonio Banderas' covers. The Holding Out For A Hero sequence was one of the best in the whole movie. Far Far Away Idol was a lame attempt at capturing the magic of the original home video ending (akthough I did enjoy Doris' bit... glad she won the contest!).

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"The Holding Out For A Hero sequence was one of the best in the whole movie."

Which doesn't speak well for the whole movie in my opinion. Just the mention of that sequence causes a sense memory of deep nausea.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Not that it's a "Best Movie" but when I think of bad movie music I think OMEGA MAN. Cheesy, funky 70's rhthyms that totally don't match what's going on. I generally don't pay a whole lot of attention to the music as long as it's decent, so you know it has to be bad for me to notice it so easily.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
I have not seen Nighthawke ... but does that really score that well as a movie? Same thing holds for To Live and Die In L.A. and Never Say Never Again. Awful music but the films hardly are in the category of terrific films - at least in my book.

Scarface was an awful score but I'm particularly tough on synthesizer music - I greatly prefer more natural tones and find most of it quite grating. I find Scarface to be overrated and predictable. You know where the film is going an hour before it ends.

How about tragic movies that made decent music stink. My votes go to:

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and
Tommy. Both so tragic in execution that they are worth no further comment.

To my mind, it's not that the music to The Third Man was that bad it was that they kept repeating the same music over and over again. Heck, the same could be said for High Noon. How many times did they go into Do not foresake me oh my darlin'?

But the category was best movie with worst music so I guess I add my vote to The Third Man.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
I don't know if this should be considered a "Best score in an awful movie" or what. How about Jerry Goldsmith's score in Star Trek the Motion Picture?

It was wonderful music, so no slurs from me on the late, great Mr. Goldsmith. It was the most exciting thing about ST:TMP, but at times, whoever mixed it with the rest of the soundtrack had crescendos at inappropriate or downright weird moments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks