Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Return of the King trailer?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
166 replies to this topic

#1 of 167 OFFLINE   Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter

• 1,300 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 03:58 AM

Will there never be a trailer for Return of the King??? I've been to the cinema twice in the last couple of weeks, and I still haven't seen a trailer - and there aren't any on the website either... Is it not correct that the trailer for the other Lord of the Rings movies were out by this time?
I mean before you get to look around the ticket pre-sale will start, and shouldn't both the teaser and the real trailer be out by that time???

A r t u r M e i n i l d
People Strategy Consultant (M.Sc. Eng.)Semi-professional Composer & Musician

#2 of 167 OFFLINE   MartinTeller

MartinTeller

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 04:06 AM

It's rumored to debut on 9/26.

#3 of 167 OFFLINE   Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter

• 1,300 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 04:59 AM

Isn't that very late?
A r t u r M e i n i l d

#4 of 167 OFFLINE   MartinTeller

MartinTeller

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 05:10 AM

The movie doesn't come out until December, and it's not like they need to build awareness for it.

#5 of 167 OFFLINE   DavidBL

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 05:14 AM

New Line and Peter Jackson decided that the success of the first two was sufficient that ROTK has basically already sold itself, so they didn't bother with a summertime "teaser trailer," and instead strategized on a single, hopefully awesome, full trailer for fall release to crank up the marketing before release. As Martin said, all signs so far have pointed to a 9/26 release.

#6 of 167 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,683 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 12 2003 - 05:45 AM

I didn't think full trailers for the first two films started appearing until around October.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#7 of 167 OFFLINE   Bruce_S

Bruce_S

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 06:44 AM

New Line should put the trailer with the "Matrix Revolution". MR comes out in 11/5, perfect timing!

-bruce

#8 of 167 OFFLINE   Jeremy:L

Jeremy:L

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 07:01 AM

I saw a TT trailer when I saw FOTR for the last time in the theater in March of '02...

#9 of 167 OFFLINE   ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 07:20 AM

It may (hint, hint Posted Image )be available through some online resources. I have seen it. There may be places that you could download a copy for yourself.

#10 of 167 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 07:34 AM

What you've (hint, hint) seen (Posted Image) is most likely the mini-teaser off the TTT DVD.
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#11 of 167 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Screenwriter

• 2,737 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 07:36 AM

The official full trailers for FOTR and TTT were not out until September/October. Both did have teasers, though, which ROTK has not had.

The Two Towers footage shown in theaters at the end of FOTR at the end of its run was not really an official trailer. It was part of the film (added before the credits mind you) that was added on just as a gift to the fans who wanted to see FOTR one last time in the theater. It was not made to increase awareness of TTT for people who didn't know about (which is really the purpose of a trailer). It did not play with any other films.

Quote:
It may (hint, hint )be available through some online resources. I have seen it. There may be places that you could download a copy for yourself.

Curious. There is a very well made FAKE fan-made ROTK trailer out on the internet now. Is what you are refering to something different, or are you referring to the fan-trailer thinking it is official?
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#12 of 167 OFFLINE   Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter

• 1,300 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 07:41 AM

The one that's online now, isn't that just the last part of the DVD preview???
A r t u r M e i n i l d

#13 of 167 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Screenwriter

• 2,737 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 08:27 AM

I don't know which "one" you're are asking about. Yes, the 1½ minute "teaser" at the end of the ROTK behind the scenes preview on the DVD was (and probably still is) online.

However, more recently a fan made a FAKE ROTK trailer using that material as well as additional material from earlier in that preview (the stuff shown between interview comments) and (possibly) some stuff from the Two Towers:EE preview. I haven't seen it. Apparently, the material was edited together with new music, and it was quite good. Good enough that some thought it was a new official trailer.

It is close enough to the release date of the real trailer that it wouldn't surprise me it actually did find its way online. But there is this new fake trailer out there. So that's why I asked if Chris was aware of this new fake trailer and if what he was referring to was something different.

#14 of 167 OFFLINE   ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 10:17 AM

I don't know if it is fake or where it came from originaly, but it starts with
Merry and Pipin speaking with Gandalf, Gandalf riding up some steps on a white horse, orcs knocking down a door, a huge battle on horseback, Gollum talking to his reflection in a pool of water, and Gandolf fending off a dragon at the end of it.
The trailer is credited to TheOneRing.net, if that means anyhting. Running time is 1:37. Didn't they have a trailer up for a short time that they had to remove?

Some of the scenes are exactly recreated in the CGI ROTK videogame preview.

#15 of 167 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 10:25 AM

Chris, that's indeed the teaser included at the end of the ROTK preview on the TTT DVD.

There's anothe one that begins with a scene from the very frst teaser (the orc armies bearing Sauron's banner) and then, after a few seoncds, the words "You didn't think this was the real deal, did you?" come on screen :P)

Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#16 of 167 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Screenwriter

• 2,737 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 11:15 AM

Ok. Here, check this out.

I believe this is the fake fan-made trailer, but I haven't watched it yet. Going to try now.

#17 of 167 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Screenwriter

• 2,737 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 11:17 AM

Well, I wasn't able to download it. I think it may have been removed.

There was a fan-made Hobbit trailer out not to long ago that was also supposed to be pretty well done. Did anyone see that?

#18 of 167 OFFLINE   Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony

Producer

• 3,218 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 11:44 AM

I saw it.

It sucked.

#19 of 167 OFFLINE   Shane S.

Shane S.

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 12:03 PM

I've seen a couple of teasers so far that had a pretty good look to them. I did see the one that was taken from the TT dvd but I have seen the one Chris saw as well. It was up on theonering but New line cinemas asked for it to be rmoved. I don't know if ti was fan-made or not but it was pretty good.
If Jimmy cracked corn and nobody cares then why is there a song about it?

#20 of 167 OFFLINE   Brian W.

Brian W.

Screenwriter

• 1,958 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted September 12 2003 - 01:14 PM

According to TheOneRing, it MIGHT debut before the film "Secondhand Lions" in its SECOND weekend, 9/26. "Lions" was bumped up a week, and the ROTK trailer wasn't going to be printed in time.

They have not confirmed this, though... just heard it from a tipster who has been reliable in the past.