Return of the King trailer?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Artur Meinild, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

Will there never be a trailer for Return of the King??? I've been to the cinema twice in the last couple of weeks, and I still haven't seen a trailer - and there aren't any on the website either... Is it not correct that the trailer for the other Lord of the Rings movies were out by this time?
    I mean before you get to look around the ticket pre-sale will start, and shouldn't both the teaser and the real trailer be out by that time???

2. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

It's rumored to debut on 9/26.

3. Artur Meinild

Isn't that very late?

4. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

The movie doesn't come out until December, and it's not like they need to build awareness for it.

5. DavidBL

DavidBL Stunt Coordinator

New Line and Peter Jackson decided that the success of the first two was sufficient that ROTK has basically already sold itself, so they didn't bother with a summertime "teaser trailer," and instead strategized on a single, hopefully awesome, full trailer for fall release to crank up the marketing before release. As Martin said, all signs so far have pointed to a 9/26 release.

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I didn't think full trailers for the first two films started appearing until around October.

7. Bruce_S

Bruce_S Second Unit

New Line should put the trailer with the "Matrix Revolution". MR comes out in 11/5, perfect timing!

-bruce

8. Jeremy:L

Jeremy:L Agent

I saw a TT trailer when I saw FOTR for the last time in the theater in March of '02...

9. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

It may (hint, hint [​IMG] )be available through some online resources. I have seen it. There may be places that you could download a copy for yourself.

10. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

What you've (hint, hint) seen ([​IMG]) is most likely the mini-teaser off the TTT DVD.

11. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    The official full trailers for FOTR and TTT were not out until September/October. Both did have teasers, though, which ROTK has not had.

The Two Towers footage shown in theaters at the end of FOTR at the end of its run was not really an official trailer. It was part of the film (added before the credits mind you) that was added on just as a gift to the fans who wanted to see FOTR one last time in the theater. It was not made to increase awareness of TTT for people who didn't know about (which is really the purpose of a trailer). It did not play with any other films.

12. Artur Meinild

The one that's online now, isn't that just the last part of the DVD preview???

13. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    I don't know which "one" you're are asking about. Yes, the 1½ minute "teaser" at the end of the ROTK behind the scenes preview on the DVD was (and probably still is) online.

However, more recently a fan made a FAKE ROTK trailer using that material as well as additional material from earlier in that preview (the stuff shown between interview comments) and (possibly) some stuff from the Two Towers:EE preview. I haven't seen it. Apparently, the material was edited together with new music, and it was quite good. Good enough that some thought it was a new official trailer.

It is close enough to the release date of the real trailer that it wouldn't surprise me it actually did find its way online. But there is this new fake trailer out there. So that's why I asked if Chris was aware of this new fake trailer and if what he was referring to was something different.

14. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I don't know if it is fake or where it came from originaly, but it starts with Merry and Pipin speaking with Gandalf, Gandalf riding up some steps on a white horse, orcs knocking down a door, a huge battle on horseback, Gollum talking to his reflection in a pool of water, and Gandolf fending off a dragon at the end of it.
    The trailer is credited to TheOneRing.net, if that means anyhting. Running time is 1:37. Didn't they have a trailer up for a short time that they had to remove?

Some of the scenes are exactly recreated in the CGI ROTK videogame preview.

15. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Chris, that's indeed the teaser included at the end of the ROTK preview on the TTT DVD.

There's anothe one that begins with a scene from the very frst teaser (the orc armies bearing Sauron's banner) and then, after a few seoncds, the words "You didn't think this was the real deal, did you?" come on screen :p)

16. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    Ok. Here, check this out.

I believe this is the fake fan-made trailer, but I haven't watched it yet. Going to try now.

17. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    Well, I wasn't able to download it. I think it may have been removed.

There was a fan-made Hobbit trailer out not to long ago that was also supposed to be pretty well done. Did anyone see that?

18. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

I saw it.

It sucked.

19. Shane S.

Shane S. Stunt Coordinator

I've seen a couple of teasers so far that had a pretty good look to them. I did see the one that was taken from the TT dvd but I have seen the one Chris saw as well. It was up on theonering but New line cinemas asked for it to be rmoved. I don't know if ti was fan-made or not but it was pretty good.

20. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    According to TheOneRing, it MIGHT debut before the film "Secondhand Lions" in its SECOND weekend, 9/26. "Lions" was bumped up a week, and the ROTK trailer wasn't going to be printed in time.

They have not confirmed this, though... just heard it from a tipster who has been reliable in the past.