Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Remote Volume Controlled Subs: What's Available?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Arthur S

Arthur S

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted August 17 2003 - 06:09 AM

I've had a remote volume controlled sub for about 8 years. It is much more convenient for me to adjust the volume of the sub (with different listening material) than to use the remote on my receiver.

Velodyne's high end (HGS) have remote, but that line has been replaced and it doesn't look like the new ones have remote.

I know Aerial has one but it is about $4,500.

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks

Artie

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   John A. Casler

John A. Casler

Second Unit

• 479 posts

Posted August 17 2003 - 11:53 AM

Hi Artie,

The 12" and 15" SuperNova's by Earthquake have remotes.
John Casler
Summit Audio Video

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted August 17 2003 - 12:28 PM

The Cambridge Soundworks P500 and P1000 have a separate control module that includes a remote. They are decent subs, but not the best bang for the buck.

I just replaced my old Yamaha sub that was remote controlled, and I have to say that I have not needed to adjust anything since getting the new sub. It WAS however, MUCH more difficult and time consuming to calibrate!
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Curt C

Curt C

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted August 18 2003 - 04:35 AM

The new Velodyne DD (Digital Drive) subs which replaced the HGS's are almost totally remote controlled. Any of the older F-series that have an R (FSR-15) in their model number are also remote equipped.
Curt

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   RichardH

RichardH

Supporting Actor

• 742 posts

Posted August 18 2003 - 01:37 PM

Alternatively, you might consider just getting the sub you want and adding an in-line remote volume control. You could calibrate so that exactly half-way up on the volume is reference. Then you could go up a bit or down a bit from the comfort of your chair!

e.g. the Creek OBH-10 sells for around $200 used. I'm sure there are many others and probably a cheaper solution as well.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   DaleBesh

DaleBesh

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted August 31 2003 - 02:54 AM

M&K provides a nice one for $100. Maybe even less at a dealer. It can be configured for both mono or dual subs.

www.mksound.com

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor

• 814 posts

Posted August 31 2003 - 04:17 AM

I don't think the M&K can be controlled by a remote. It's function is to move the volume control from the back of the sub to a more convenient location.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Peter Jessee

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted September 01 2003 - 06:28 AM

Quote:
I've had a remote volume controlled sub for about 8 years. It is much more convenient for me to adjust the volume of the sub (with different listening material) than to use the remote on my receiver.

If you are halfway handy with tools, you can build your own that will A.)Save you money over retail subs, and B.)Outperform almost anything you can buy. Consider: an Adire DPL12 driver, a Parts Express 300-793 250 watt amp with remote, and a MCM 80-430 enclosure. Total cost is about $370, and it will sound MUCH better than most $800 retail subs. Check out the DIY forum for lots of help with similar projects. Or drop me an e-mail if this sounds interesting.

Peter