Remote Volume Controlled Subs: What's Available?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Arthur S, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

I've had a remote volume controlled sub for about 8 years. It is much more convenient for me to adjust the volume of the sub (with different listening material) than to use the remote on my receiver.

Velodyne's high end (HGS) have remote, but that line has been replaced and it doesn't look like the new ones have remote.

I know Aerial has one but it is about $4,500.

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks

Artie

2. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

Hi Artie,

The 12" and 15" SuperNova's by Earthquake have remotes.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The Cambridge Soundworks P500 and P1000 have a separate control module that includes a remote. They are decent subs, but not the best bang for the buck.

I just replaced my old Yamaha sub that was remote controlled, and I have to say that I have not needed to adjust anything since getting the new sub. It WAS however, MUCH more difficult and time consuming to calibrate!

4. Curt C

Curt C Agent

The new Velodyne DD (Digital Drive) subs which replaced the HGS's are almost totally remote controlled. Any of the older F-series that have an R (FSR-15) in their model number are also remote equipped.
    Curt

5. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Alternatively, you might consider just getting the sub you want and adding an in-line remote volume control. You could calibrate so that exactly half-way up on the volume is reference. Then you could go up a bit or down a bit from the comfort of your chair!

e.g. the Creek OBH-10 sells for around $200 used. I'm sure there are many others and probably a cheaper solution as well.

6. DaleBesh

DaleBesh Stunt Coordinator

M&K provides a nice one for $100. Maybe even less at a dealer. It can be configured for both mono or dual subs.

www.mksound.com

7. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

I don't think the M&K can be controlled by a remote. It's function is to move the volume control from the back of the sub to a more convenient location.

8. Peter Jessee

Peter Jessee Stunt Coordinator