What's new

Remote Volume Controlled Subs: What's Available? (1 Viewer)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I've had a remote volume controlled sub for about 8 years. It is much more convenient for me to adjust the volume of the sub (with different listening material) than to use the remote on my receiver.

Velodyne's high end (HGS) have remote, but that line has been replaced and it doesn't look like the new ones have remote.

I know Aerial has one but it is about $4,500.

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks

Artie

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Cambridge Soundworks P500 and P1000 have a separate control module that includes a remote. They are decent subs, but not the best bang for the buck.

I just replaced my old Yamaha sub that was remote controlled, and I have to say that I have not needed to adjust anything since getting the new sub. It WAS however, MUCH more difficult and time consuming to calibrate!

Curt C

Agent
The new Velodyne DD (Digital Drive) subs which replaced the HGS's are almost totally remote controlled. Any of the older F-series that have an R (FSR-15) in their model number are also remote equipped.
Curt

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Alternatively, you might consider just getting the sub you want and adding an in-line remote volume control. You could calibrate so that exactly half-way up on the volume is reference. Then you could go up a bit or down a bit from the comfort of your chair!

e.g. the Creek OBH-10 sells for around $200 used. I'm sure there are many others and probably a cheaper solution as well.

DaleBesh

Stunt Coordinator
M&K provides a nice one for $100. Maybe even less at a dealer. It can be configured for both mono or dual subs.

Link Removed

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
I don't think the M&K can be controlled by a remote. It's function is to move the volume control from the back of the sub to a more convenient location.

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator
I've had a remote volume controlled sub for about 8 years. It is much more convenient for me to adjust the volume of the sub (with different listening material) than to use the remote on my receiver.
If you are halfway handy with tools, you can build your own that will A.)Save you money over retail subs, and B.)Outperform almost anything you can buy. Consider: an Adire DPL12 driver, a Parts Express 300-793 250 watt amp with remote, and a MCM 80-430 enclosure. Total cost is about $370, and it will sound MUCH better than most $800 retail subs. Check out the DIY forum for lots of help with similar projects. Or drop me an e-mail if this sounds interesting.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks