Jump to content

Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

subwoofer hookup question

  • You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   MikeWe



  • 37 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 19 2003

Posted August 05 2003 - 03:58 PM

Picked up a Velodyne CHT-10 sub from Circuit City to test out with my Pioneer VSX-45tx. The receiver has a single rca connect subwoofer output while the sub has left and right rca connections, one for input and one for output. I thought that I would just need a single sub cable, with an RCA connector at each end to hook this up but this wasn't the case so I wasn't able to do it when I brought it home. So, to hook this up do I simply need a y-splitter cable and a subwoofer cable with the single end going from the receiver into the sub on the y end of the connector? Do I put this in the output or the input on the sub? Can you purchase a Y connector sub cable? Also, the sub has a direct/internal crossover switch. I want the Pioneer to handle the crossover so I should switch this to direct?

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   hitendra



  • 21 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 28 2003

Posted August 05 2003 - 06:33 PM

I would think that you just need to use a single RCA cable to connect the receiver to the velodyne input. If that doesnt work, then the 2 jacks on the sub are both input. In this case, you would need a Y-splitter. Are the sub jacks labeled as input and output? Reg. the crossover, if you want your receiver to handle the crossover, leave it to Direct on the sub. In this case, you need to ensure that the sub is connected to the LFE output of the receiver.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   David Preston

David Preston

    Supporting Actor

  • 698 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 23 2003

Posted August 05 2003 - 08:01 PM

I run mine out of the receiver and split it at the sub with a regular Y-splitter no sub Y-splitter.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   MikeWe



  • 37 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 19 2003

Posted August 06 2003 - 01:25 AM

Their are two pairs of rca connectors on the sub, one pair labeled input and one pair labeled output. I am guessing I use input since I want the receiver to control the sub, but am not sure.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Dave Nibeck

Dave Nibeck

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 155 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 23 2000

Posted August 06 2003 - 03:53 AM

You don't need a Y. Just a single cable from your receiver to the left (consult your manual) input on your sub. Select direct for the crossover. Turn on and enjoy.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   MikeWe



  • 37 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 19 2003

Posted August 06 2003 - 04:55 AM

Dave, The manual states that if you simply connect the sub to the receiver with a single cable, it may shutoff at low volumes. If that occurs, use a Y. It doesn't say whether to use the left or right input though. I am just going to get a sub cable with Y end to avoid any potential problems. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users