What's new

subwoofer hookup question (1 Viewer)

MikeWe

Agent
Picked up a Velodyne CHT-10 sub from Circuit City to test out with my Pioneer VSX-45tx. The receiver has a single rca connect subwoofer output while the sub has left and right rca connections, one for input and one for output. I thought that I would just need a single sub cable, with an RCA connector at each end to hook this up but this wasn't the case so I wasn't able to do it when I brought it home.

So, to hook this up do I simply need a y-splitter cable and a subwoofer cable with the single end going from the receiver into the sub on the y end of the connector? Do I put this in the output or the input on the sub? Can you purchase a Y connector sub cable?

Also, the sub has a direct/internal crossover switch. I want the Pioneer to handle the crossover so I should switch this to direct?

hitendra

Grip
I would think that you just need to use a single RCA cable to connect the receiver to the velodyne input. If that doesnt work, then the 2 jacks on the sub are both input. In this case, you would need a Y-splitter. Are the sub jacks labeled as input and output?

Reg. the crossover, if you want your receiver to handle the crossover, leave it to Direct on the sub. In this case, you need to ensure that the sub is connected to the LFE output of the receiver.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I run mine out of the receiver and split it at the sub with a regular Y-splitter no sub Y-splitter.

MikeWe

Agent
Their are two pairs of rca connectors on the sub, one pair labeled input and one pair labeled output. I am guessing I use input since I want the receiver to control the sub, but am not sure.

Dave Nibeck

Stunt Coordinator
You don't need a Y. Just a single cable from your receiver to the left (consult your manual) input on your sub. Select direct for the crossover. Turn on and enjoy.

MikeWe

Agent
Dave,

The manual states that if you simply connect the sub to the receiver with a single cable, it may shutoff at low volumes. If that occurs, use a Y. It doesn't say whether to use the left or right input though.

I am just going to get a sub cable with Y end to avoid any potential problems. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks