Sherwood Home Theater subwoofer hookup

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by MCSD12, Feb 26, 2012.

1. MCSD12

MCSD12 Auditioning

My father in-law bought a Sherwood Home Theater systems a while back. THe speaker hookup is unusual with the front left and right speaker hookups running through the subwoofer. There is no subwoofer specific connection or wire. Now he decided to upgrade to a brnad new Pioneer receiver but doesnt want to replace the speakers. The question is: how does the sherwood system subwoofer gets its signal? and secondly how do I hook it up with the pioneer system?

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Pictures or a model number would be very helpful. Any suggestions will be nothing but a guess.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Does the sub plug into the wall and thus has its own amp? Often if a sub does not have a preamp input (and obviously if it doesn't plug in) it is typically a passive sub which means the receiver would be powering it. In which case, my recommendation would lean more toward replacing it. Most likely, the speakers could still be hooked up the same way, hooked to the sub with the receiver set to Large and No sub for the main pair. A pic of the sub's connections would definitely help.

4. MCSD12

MCSD12 Auditioning

Unfortunately he lives to far away to get a picture until next weekend. The subwoofer does pluginto the wall. I will try to get a mdoel number from him over the phone.

5. MCSD12

MCSD12 Auditioning

Okay here is the information. The model number of the receiver is RV-5050R. the subwoofer number is SP-165W. This is 1996 vintage equipment.

6. John Garcia

John
    [​IMG] If this is it, it has line level inputs on the left. Connect from the Subwoofer/LFE out on the receiver to one of those and it should work. The other speakers may be connected to the sub via it's outputs or directly to the receiver with them all set to small and probably crossed over at 100Hz.

7. MCSD12

MCSD12 Auditioning

Thanks John that is the right picture of the back of the sub. It talks in the manual about using a Y connector to hookup the sub, but you think it can be hooked up using just one? I will try it next weekend and see how it goes. :)

8. John Garcia

John
    In most cases, just one or the other will work, but you may also use a Y splitter to connect to both. If that is what it suggests, I would probably connect it that way as some older sub amps like to see signal on both inputs.

9. Martino

Martino Supporting Actor

Martin O.
    Also - you need to make sure the new receiver is setup correctly to use a powered sub. You will have an RCA sub-out connected with an RCA cable to the sub. In the receiver, be sure to turn the sub setting to ON - and set the speaker selections to SMALL. This will send all of the low signal information to the sub instead of the mains. If the original mains were hooked up through the sub - they were getting the lower frequencies removed in the sub, then it was sent to the speakers. The receiver will perform this separation if it is configured correctly.

10. MCSD12

MCSD12 Auditioning

Thanks Martin that expains why they were routed through the sub, I couldnt figure that part out.

11. John Garcia

John
    Yep. When they are routed through the sub, you would set the mains to large to send a full range signal to the sub and the sub handles the crossover to the speakers, but the receiver can do the same thing :)