What's new

How to connect HDTV to vintage Marantz 2270 (1 Viewer)

chrisfitzh

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
I have some questions for those of you who’ve kept up with electronics technology better than I have for the last couple of decades. If I have posted this in the wrong place or in the wrong way, my apologies.First, I would really like to marry old and new technology by running the sound from my new Samsung flat screen tv (un39fh5000) through my old (and loved) Marantz 2270 receiver. I also have a Samsung blu-ray player. I don’t have a cable box – the only source for the tv signal is the blu-ray.Links to photos of the backs of the tv and receiver are below, so you can see what connections are possible (and not).Back of the TV: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN39FH5000FXZA. (Under "Manuals" and then "Quick guide."Back of the Marantz 2270:http://www.hifiengine.com/library/marantz/2270.shtml. (Image of rear panel is on the right side of the page, center pic.) Back of the blu-ray - can't find a link, but the only outputs are HMDI (in use, going to the TV, LAN, and Coaxial.Currently, the 2270 powers two sets of large Advent speakers from the same era (mid-70’s). The Advents are stacked, with the bottom set coming from the “main” speaker output and the top set coming from “remote.” The speaker outputs require that actual speaker wire be inserted into the holes at the back of the receiver and the other end wrapped around the two posts on the back of each speaker (so rca jacks won’t work for speaker hookup). Also, I’d like to add a subwoofer to get a good home theater sound (stereo is fine; I don’t think I can -- or need to -- go with 5.1 or anything more than stereo).I tried selecting “external speaker” from the tv’s menu and then running rca jacks from the audio out on the tv into each of the rca jack inputs on the back of the receiver (except phono – I read a post where someone said not to use phono), but got nothing. I guess the audio signal out from the tv is digital and the analog receiver doesn’t know what to do with it. I’ve done some research, but none of the solutions I’ve seen people suggest to others who want to run a modern tv through a vintage stereo (ie, mini headphone jack from back of tv, morphing into rca jacks plugged into the receiver) will work here.What I hope is that someone can tell me specifically what I need to do here, such as “run the optical audio cable out from the tv, insert it into a (specify model number of equipment needed, such as a DAC, which I think I may need although I also think maybe not all DACs are made equal), then plug rca jacks into the output from the (DAC?) and put the rja jacks at the other end into the (correct input on the back of the 2270). I don’t know what input to use on the back of the 2270, because I use the AUX for a CD player and would like to continue to use it for that.Also, can I add a subwoofer to this mix? Thoughts about a decent sub to buy, and how to connect it to this setup?Second question: I also have a M2285. The right channel doesn’t play at all…just kind of hums. Left channel sounds great. Anyone know what’s wrong, and how to get it fixed? What would be a reasonable cost to get that done?Sorry to be so long with the first question. I figure if I want an answer I can understand and that is useful, I need to make sure I am asking the right question. I hope I have…. Much appreciated, in advance!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I can't get your Samsung link to work.Regardless. Unless the TV has a headphone jack, you need a toslink/Digital coax adapter. Those cost $20 and up.You probably have to run audio out of the TV. Audio from your BD player straight to the 2270 Will probably result in audio sync issues, like it does with all LCD.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
"What I hope is that someone can tell me specifically what I need to do here, such as “run the optical audio cable out from the tv, insert it into a (specify model number of equipment needed, such as a DAC, which I think I may need although I also think maybe not all DACs are made equal), then plug rca jacks into the output from the (DAC?) and put the rja jacks at the other end into the (correct input on the back of the 2270). I don’t know what input to use on the back of the 2270, because I use the AUX for a CD player and would like to continue to use it for that."

I would go through the AUX connection - as you stated it is already being used by the CD player. So you could get an RCA switcher to select either the CD or the TV input - something like this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0U00D18058&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-_-pla-_-Audio+Video+Cables-_-9SIA0U00D18058

So hook up the RCA ouput from your CD player to 1 of the RCA inputs for the switch -- and hook up the RCA output from the box below to another 1 of the selectors...then can switch between the two - leaving the input on your receiver to AUX...

As for the TV - get a digital to analog converter - run an optical ouput from the TV to the input on the converter - output of the converter into 1 of the inputs on your new RCA switch...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/digital-optical-coax-coaxial-toslink-to-analog-rca-l-r-audio-converter-adapter/1307175224.p;jsessionid=801E4AA78B1C7094B57B199DB877AEBB.bbolsp-app04-152?id=mp1307175224&skuId=1307175224&st=categoryid$abcat0104000&cp=1&lp=3

"Also, I’d like to add a subwoofer to get a good home theater sound (stereo is fine; I don’t think I can -- or need to -- go with 5.1 or anything more than stereo)."

As for the sub - you will have to use the speaker inputs on the sub -- so you run your speaker wire from your receiver into the input on the sub - set the cross over on the sub - and run speaker wire from the sub to the speakers...That is the how you can do it - as stated above, it probally will not be too effective, as you will probally run into lip sync issues that will not be able to be adjusted....

Adding an inline sub would be easy and worth it...running sound from the TV would be hit/miss - but won't cost too much to try it out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks