Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New home theater suggestions

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Kevin.W.H

Kevin.W.H

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted August 02 2003 - 05:35 AM

I am looking to put together a new home theater in a 15 x 26 room...high ceilings. I am looking for about 50% HT 50% music. I need it all - for about 7,000USD give or take. I was thinking front projector, 5.1/7.1 (haven't decided), don't really know if receiver is good or separates better, I have whole room for this so any sizes/configurations are acceptable. I was looking for a good matched system that I will obviously use a lot. I've looked at lots of internet direct sites and read a lot of reviews...I also have been to my local shops (only a couple to choose from) but I can't seem to see a whole package come together. Any suggestions/recommendations? Thanks.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   JohnN

JohnN

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted August 02 2003 - 04:30 PM

Personally, I think you need to first decide what is more important to you; audio or video.

If the video is most important, review as much information as you can and spec out and price a projector/screen/source. You can then see how much of your budget is left to spec out and price the audio components and speakers. If audio is more important, start there.

As you visit stores to actually listen and see the choices, you will learn more about your personal preferences and whether your first system ideas hold up to real world testing.

Good luck.

And have fun. Posted Image
JohnN

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson

Second Unit

• 416 posts

Posted August 05 2003 - 10:47 AM

Hi Kevin, After deciding which is more important to you (audio vs. video), it'd also help if you let us know which sources you're wanting to include in your system (DVDP, CDP, Sat, Cable, HD sources, SACD, DVD-A, etc.), if there are constraints in terms of looks and/or placement and mounting positions for speakers, etc. Oh--and do you have full or partial light-control in this room? You can certainly put together a great system within your budget--the challenge will be to create a balanced system that works together well and gives you good performance for the money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users