What's new

Surround speakers placement ? (1 Viewer)

Shane Morales

Second Unit
I have to choose between the two following situations:

1. Surrounds slightly behind first row seating, but slightly in front of second row seating.

2. Surrounds slightly behind second row seating and about 10' behind first row seating.

Considerations:

- Second row seating will be used infrequently, maybe 10-20% of the time.

- I'll be in the first row 100% of the time ;)

Which would you pick? Why?

David Ruggiero

Stunt Coordinator
I would pick option #1. I assume this is a 5.1 set up, and Dolby recomends that the surrounds are to the sides of the main listening position.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I would choose option 2 because the audio imaging matches the onscreen action more closely than side mounted monopole speakers... by that I mean an object moving from the fron to the back has its sound moving from the front to the sides as opposed to the back. Also, I am an advocate of having plenty of room between the listening position and each speaker. I know in some setups this may not be possible but if you have the space, give your speakers room to breathe. Having surround speakers right up to a couch of directly to the sides is like having your front speakers (or centre) right up to the listening position.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
ultimate answer: try both and see which one YOU like.

otherwise, i'd go for option 2. having your rears further behind you will help create a more diffused soundfield.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks