-

Photo
- - - - -

what movies did you never expect to see sitting on your shelf?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 01:01 PM

The Swimmer
Prophecy
Wolfen
A Little Romance

are just a couple titles i greatly desired, but wholly expected to be waiting years longer to finally see show up on dvd.

so what are yours?

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 01:06 PM

Back to the future trilogy, Et, V the original miniseries, and soon Popeye the movie !
At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Steven K

Steven K

Supporting Actor

• 832 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 01:09 PM

Baby Genius, I am Sam, Care Bears Movie, Riding in Cars with Boys, Undercover Blues, Maid in Manhattan...

they all belong to my wife (seriously).

At least I make her keep them on a seperate shelf (so that they don't contaminate my collection) Posted Image

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 01:20 PM

Much Ado About Nothing: I never thought I'd buy a Shakespeare movie, but thanks to Ron, it's one of my favorites now.

Homicide: Life on the Street - The Complete Seasons 1 & 2: Announcement for this set came out of the blue, I thought I'd be waiting a lot longer for this, got it two days ago, almost done watching it, what a treasure!

Sports Night - The Complete Series: Who woulda thunkit? Disney/ABC releasing a show it cancelled due to poor ratings and handling? Kudos! Thanks again to Ron with his review, otherwise I might've never known about its release.

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 01:29 PM

For me it's the following:

Laurence Of Arabia
Ben-Hur
Spartacus
The Day The Earth Stood Still
Doctor Zhivago
Bride On The River Kwai

When I was younger, I really didn't care at all for old classics such as these. I guess I was more for contemporary films. It was what friends watched and talked about during highschool and university. DVD has opened my eyes and helped me discover some true gems that I neglected in my youth....of course my wallet is cursing each and every one of them.Posted Image
Recently watched- Halloween(1978), The Blob(1988), Simon & Simon: Season 3, Lost: Season 5, I Am Legend, Krull, The Beast Within, Subspecies, Lost: Season 4, District 9, Lost: Season 3, The Warrior's Way, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Godzilla 3D, The Walking Dead: Season 4, Lost: Season 2, Dracula(1979)

Currently watching- Planet Earth, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Lost: Season 6, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati, Season 1

Laurie - "It was the boogeyman."

Dr. Loomis - "As a matter of fact...it was."

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 02:43 PM

most surprising include:

Hopscotch
The Thin Man
Back to the Future
The Producers
To Catch a Thief
Operation Petticoat
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 02:47 PM

Not a movie, but "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" dvd's. I bought 1st season blind and loved it. I just never thought I'd be a fan of a show like that.

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,661 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 03:02 PM

I'm assuming you mean, dvds that you were surprised you liked and now occupy a spot in the rack???

Dude, Where's My Car? (bought it unseen, and while very silly...I laughed my rear off..."and then..."

Tora, Tora, Tora

Thats really all I can think of now.

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,605 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 29 2003 - 03:23 PM

I'm assuming you mean, dvds that you were surprised you liked and now occupy a spot in the rack???
From his post, I think he means favorite titles that you never thought would ever be issued on DVD.

Dude, Where's My Car? (bought it unseen, and while very silly...I laughed my rear off..."and then..."
Shibby! Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   BarryS

BarryS

Second Unit

• 424 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 03:25 PM

Amadeus. A year ago, I would never have anticipated that I would be able to sit through a 3-hour film about Mozart filled with numerous opera scenes, much less purchase it. Now, however, Amadeus is one of my favorite movies.

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,471 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted May 29 2003 - 03:26 PM

Right now, I didn't think I'd have 8 1/2, Moulin Rouge, Singin' In The Rain, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, or The Evil Dead in my collection. I've learned to have a little more fun with selections (All of these were surprise greats, save for Wonka...which I had already seen.)

For upcoming films, I didn't think I'd see a $70 box set of the complete Mutual and Essanay Charlie Chaplin two-reelers. I like being proven wrong!

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 03:27 PM

Twin Peaks and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me...I was only 9/10 when the series first aired, so I didn't get a chance to watch it. Then I caught FWWM on IFC, and hhhhated. But, I was intruigued enough to check out Season 1...and now the rest is history Posted Image
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Mark Philp

Mark Philp

Second Unit

• 302 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 05:40 PM

All of them! Having started collecting movies more years ago than I'll admit, back in the days when the only way to have a movie was on bootleg 16mm film, I can honestly say that most collectors, back then, would never have dreamed of being able to have what we have today. I can still remember the joy of getting a print of something like "Casablanca" (for $500 or $600) and being thrilled that it was "only" a third generation dupe. I don't think collectors today realize how lucky they are to have the technology and availablility of titles that we have today. While there are a lot of titles I'd love to see come out, I guess I don't "lust" for them like a lot of you guys do because I remember how it was in "the old days".

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Tim_Prasuhn

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 06:17 PM

The Black Hole- Never in a million years did I ever expect to be able to see this OAR, and what does Anchor Bay do? Release a widescreen tape and DVD.

Fear and Loathing- Criterion Collection - one hell of a peasent surprise.

Legend- Director's Cut - this was a big one for me. the 'lost cut' finally being found was almost a physical shock. Still sappy, but very very easy on the eyes. Dare I say one of Ridley Scott's most visually pleasing films?

Babylon 5- Season Sets 1+2 (more to come)- Wow. just wow. Just when I had given up, boom, we get 'em.

Straw Dogs- What can I say, Criterion exposes me to films i'd otherwise never see.

Heavenly Creatures - Extended Edition- Just having this in it's OAR would have been enough, but Mirimax ( in their only good descision in handling this film) gave us the full cut. yay.

Metropolis - Restored Edition - Wanted to see this for a long time, but was scared away from awful DVDs. Then Kino does it right. A damn fine film, luckily 3/4ths restored.

More probably, but it's late and I'm tired.
My DVD Collection Exposed!  which hasnt been updated in about two years

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted May 30 2003 - 02:49 AM

Well my list was certainly the 'films I love, but I doubt if they'll get to dvd' category, not 'dvds I'm surprised I like', which consists of zero dvds, since I don't buy dvds unless I already know I love the film.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted May 30 2003 - 02:55 AM

Twin Peaks: Season 2.

No, wait. That still isn't out.

I'd have to say Murder by Decree, Xena Season 1 and Mickey Mouse in Black and White.

Murder by Decree is an older movie that doesn't have a huge following. Thank God for Anchor Bay.

Xena was released in season sets on VHS after DVD came out. Official response from Universal always said no plans for DVD. Then, when they released the DVDs, they were only available through the website and were $100 + $13 s&h. Imagine my surpise when a slighty better edition came to retail for $60.

Mickey is uncensored. And a Disney product. Nuff said.
My Collection

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Vickie_M

Vickie_M

Producer

• 3,208 posts

Posted May 31 2003 - 12:05 AM

As soon as I get to the Post office to pick it up, it will be, and will remain #1 until One From The Heart gets released,:

WAR HUNT!

It's never even been released on VHS, so of course I never imagined that it would be released on DVD!

Other favorite movies I'm surprised are on DVD:

Return To Oz
Fitzcarraldo
Local Hero (now, Housekeeping and Comfort and Joy, please!)
The Cotton Club
Favorite film of 2008 (so far): The Fall

Favorite films of 2007: There Will Be Blood, Across The Universe, The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford, Black Snake Moan

My Happy Rhodes MySpace page