What's new

Directors what movies did you never expect to see sitting on your shelf? (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
The Swimmer
Prophecy
Wolfen
A Little Romance

are just a couple titles i greatly desired, but wholly expected to be waiting years longer to finally see show up on dvd.

so what are yours?

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Baby Genius, I am Sam, Care Bears Movie, Riding in Cars with Boys, Undercover Blues, Maid in Manhattan...

they all belong to my wife (seriously).

At least I make her keep them on a seperate shelf (so that they don't contaminate my collection) :D

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Much Ado About Nothing: I never thought I'd buy a Shakespeare movie, but thanks to Ron, it's one of my favorites now.

Homicide: Life on the Street - The Complete Seasons 1 & 2: Announcement for this set came out of the blue, I thought I'd be waiting a lot longer for this, got it two days ago, almost done watching it, what a treasure!

Sports Night - The Complete Series: Who woulda thunkit? Disney/ABC releasing a show it cancelled due to poor ratings and handling? Kudos! Thanks again to Ron with his review, otherwise I might've never known about its release.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
most surprising include:

Hopscotch
The Thin Man
Back to the Future
The Producers
To Catch a Thief
Operation Petticoat

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Not a movie, but "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" dvd's. I bought 1st season blind and loved it. I just never thought I'd be a fan of a show like that.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I'm assuming you mean, dvds that you were surprised you liked and now occupy a spot in the rack???

Dude, Where's My Car? (bought it unseen, and while very silly...I laughed my rear off..."and then..."

Tora, Tora, Tora

Thats really all I can think of now.

BarryS

Second Unit
Amadeus. A year ago, I would never have anticipated that I would be able to sit through a 3-hour film about Mozart filled with numerous opera scenes, much less purchase it. Now, however, Amadeus is one of my favorite movies.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Right now, I didn't think I'd have 8 1/2, Moulin Rouge, Singin' In The Rain, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, or The Evil Dead in my collection. I've learned to have a little more fun with selections (All of these were surprise greats, save for Wonka...which I had already seen.)

For upcoming films, I didn't think I'd see a $70 box set of the complete Mutual and Essanay Charlie Chaplin two-reelers. I like being proven wrong!

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Twin Peaks and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me...I was only 9/10 when the series first aired, so I didn't get a chance to watch it. Then I caught FWWM on IFC, and hhhhated. But, I was intruigued enough to check out Season 1...and now the rest is history :)

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
All of them! Having started collecting movies more years ago than I'll admit, back in the days when the only way to have a movie was on bootleg 16mm film, I can honestly say that most collectors, back then, would never have dreamed of being able to have what we have today. I can still remember the joy of getting a print of something like "Casablanca" (for $500 or $600) and being thrilled that it was "only" a third generation dupe. I don't think collectors today realize how lucky they are to have the technology and availablility of titles that we have today. While there are a lot of titles I'd love to see come out, I guess I don't "lust" for them like a lot of you guys do because I remember how it was in "the old days".

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
The Black Hole- Never in a million years did I ever expect to be able to see this OAR, and what does Anchor Bay do? Release a widescreen tape and DVD.

Fear and Loathing- Criterion Collection - one hell of a peasent surprise.

Legend- Director's Cut - this was a big one for me. the 'lost cut' finally being found was almost a physical shock. Still sappy, but very very easy on the eyes. Dare I say one of Ridley Scott's most visually pleasing films?

Babylon 5- Season Sets 1+2 (more to come)- Wow. just wow. Just when I had given up, boom, we get 'em.

Straw Dogs- What can I say, Criterion exposes me to films i'd otherwise never see.

Heavenly Creatures - Extended Edition- Just having this in it's OAR would have been enough, but Mirimax ( in their only good descision in handling this film) gave us the full cut. yay.

Metropolis - Restored Edition - Wanted to see this for a long time, but was scared away from awful DVDs. Then Kino does it right. A damn fine film, luckily 3/4ths restored.

More probably, but it's late and I'm tired.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well my list was certainly the 'films I love, but I doubt if they'll get to dvd' category, not 'dvds I'm surprised I like', which consists of zero dvds, since I don't buy dvds unless I already know I love the film.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Twin Peaks: Season 2.

No, wait. That still isn't out.

I'd have to say Murder by Decree, Xena Season 1 and Mickey Mouse in Black and White.

Murder by Decree is an older movie that doesn't have a huge following. Thank God for Anchor Bay.

Xena was released in season sets on VHS after DVD came out. Official response from Universal always said no plans for DVD. Then, when they released the DVDs, they were only available through the website and were $100 + $13 s&h. Imagine my surpise when a slighty better edition came to retail for $60.

Mickey is uncensored. And a Disney product. Nuff said.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
As soon as I get to the Post office to pick it up, it will be, and will remain #1 until One From The Heart gets released,:

WAR HUNT!

It's never even been released on VHS, so of course I never imagined that it would be released on DVD!

Other favorite movies I'm surprised are on DVD:

Return To Oz
Fitzcarraldo
Local Hero (now, Housekeeping and Comfort and Joy, please!)
The Cotton Club

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks