-

Photo
- - - - -

Analogue Productions or XRCD?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 03:10 AM

I plan to buy some older jazz CDs and, in looking some of them up online, I noticed that several of them have been released by Chad Kassem's Analogue Productions as well as JVC's XRCD. Does anyone have any input on which version sounds better? Here are the ones I'm talking about:

http://store.acousti...com/fantasy.cfm

When you click on each title, you will see that they are offered in various releases.
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 03:30 AM

Hey, I have better than half that lot, and all I can say is buy 'em!!! I'd like to have the rest.Posted Image
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 04:13 AM

Rachael,

Which versions do you own?
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 08:13 AM

If you have a SACD player, than get Analogue Production's SACDs. They are gorgeous.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 10:07 AM

Well, I don't have one right now, but buying the AP SACD's would have that future benefit for when I do get one. How are the CD layers on them?

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 02:15 PM

Ron, I have the majority of those Fantasy SACD titles on your link. I hven't listened to the CD layer on most but Analogue Productions is a great label, how bad could they be? I do recall playing Sonny Rollins' SAXOPHONE COLOSSUS on my mom's CD player and being favourably impressed. Best wishes!Posted Image
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted May 30 2003 - 05:55 AM

I have never heard a bad CD layer on a hybrid SACD, especially from AP.

In fact, my only complaint about AP is that the discs are pricey, and due to my current financial troubles, haven't been able to buy one in months.