Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

new or refurbished

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   ChuckM

ChuckM

Stunt Coordinator

• 136 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 02:53 AM

I've decided to get a onkyo HT-S650. Now my only problem is deciding to get a refurbished one with 2 year warranty for $380 or getting a new one with a one year limited warranty for $500-$560. Is the fefurbished a better deal or is there usally a lot of defects with refurbished items. I would be greatful for any advice you guys can give.
TIA!!

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson

Screenwriter

• 1,951 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 03:17 AM

At those prices I would go refurbished. Even in the unlikely event that the refurb dies a prematurely the $180 you saved will go a long way toward replacing it.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Jeremy Tebo

Jeremy Tebo

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 03:40 AM

Refurb should be fine. I bought the speakers from that set refurbed from Onkyo, and they sound great for the $.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 07:10 AM

that's a pretty significant price difference. i'd probably do the refurb too. if the price was closer, then i'd be more hard-pressed to make the choice.

the idea with refurbs is that they're actually a better decision since the unit went back, was "individually" checked out (versus random QA sampling) then packaged back up and sold for a discount.

i think the refurb will work out well for you. just think what dvd's you could buy with the money you'll save. Posted Image

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   RickMo

RickMo

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted May 30 2003 - 08:55 AM

I agree with Ted (pretty hot in Sacto, huh? I'm up in Truckee). I've had very good luck with refurbs in general, from cordless phones to scanners. As a matter of fact, I sometimes search for the refurbs first.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted May 30 2003 - 05:17 PM

hey rickmo - howdy to a local boy! yep! this weather is killin' me! Posted Image