What's new

Sagging RPTV (1 Viewer)

ChuckSn

Grip
I am concerned that with the additional weight from my new samson amp in addition to my reciever, center channel, dvd player and cable box will cause the top of my 65" Mits to sag. Has anyone else had this problem and what has been done to prevent it (besides not putting stuff up there)?

Thanks
Chuck

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You'll probably need to create a structure around the RPTV to off-load the weigh from the top of the RPTV.

ChuckSn

Grip
Due to space constraints that is not an option. The 2 options I see are 1) move the components to a seperate rack. This would be very expensive because I would have to repurchase all new cables. 2) put something under the components like thick glass or a more rigid board. I was just wondering if anyone else here has had this problem and what they did to correct it. Thanks for the reply though.

Chuck

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The plastic cabinent for that RPTV is simply a frame for the screen and a dust-protector for the optics. It's not ment to be load-bearing.

You will be putting all that equipment on a thin plastic sheat about 50" long - not good.

Is that Sampson amp for the subwoofer? Why in the heck are you putting it on the TV? Put it next to the sub.

Putting the equipment NEXT to the TV should result in shorter cables being needed with the possible exception of some speaker wire (and at $0.39/ft should not be a big deal). Just pick the side of the TV where the connection panel is.

Leave the center on top, but none of the heavy electronics (amp, receiver).

ChuckSn

Grip
I wish it were that easy. There is zero space next to the TV, just enough room for the front speakers. I would have at least 10-15' run of cables from the components to the TV (the component video cable would be the most expensive). Not to mention the only place I could put a component rack will not be convenient for remote control use. I was just looking for a simple solution from anyone that has had a problem like this.

If I put the amp on the floor next to the sub I would have to leave it running 24/7 because it would be hard to access. I prefer not to do that.

Thanks
Chuck

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, Chuck, it's either time to look into a rack or eventually watch the top of that RPTV sag.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Usually the added weight will start to cause the lenticular screen to buckle as well. It would be a GREAT idea to move the stuff, although I do understand your issues and constraints. You may try this link when KeohiHDTV is back up, it seems to be down a lot lately.
Prevent Bowing from Heavy Speakers

Nick P

Second Unit
How about buying/building a short rack that will fit in front of the TV? Given the limited height to the bottom of your screen it may take two racks to do it but it's certainly better than damaging your RPTV. That Samson amp alone should just about do in your screen all on it's own.

ChuckSn

Grip
Update. I called a local sheet metal shop and they can cut a piece of 16-ga metal 59"x20" that will be able to support the 130lbs of equipment without bowing. It will add an additional 25lbs and cost about $42. It may not be the best solution, but it works for a quick fix. Thanks for the replies.

Chuck

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
So yo have 130 lbs of equipment now, and you are adding plate-metal of 25 lbs: thats 155 pounds of weight spread across the top of the TV.

Not only do you have the weight problem, you have lots of EMF/power devices as close as possible to the TV, and all those power cords & speaker wires. I'm suprised you dont notice screen distortion during loud scenes. (Loud->current-draw->magnetic fields).

Sampson Amp: You dont have to put the Sampson amp right next to the sub. Somewhere in-between is fine. Any good RCA cable will reach, or you can make your own with RG6 CATV coax and "F-to-RCA-Male" adaptors from Radio Shack. (I built a 25 ft sub cable for $12 when playing with sub positions in my room). And leave the amp on. It's not drawing much/any power unless you are sending signals to the sub.

Center Speaker: Several people (without pets/kids) have tried putting their center speaker on a low stand in front of their TV and claim it is a superior-sounding position. This would get more space freed up for the cost of some speaker wire.

Venting: Do you have any of your electronics stacked on top of each other? Does any device have it's vent slots blocked by another device? This is very bad. While it will work, it will dramatically reduce the life of the unit.

Receiver: This is the other heavy unit. Leave the DVD/VCR on top of the TV, but cant you get the receiver off the top with just some more speaker wire?

If you are running video through the receiver, all the devices should be moveable as a unit. If you are running cables directly to the TV from the video sources, leave them on top and put the receiver down on the floor. Some extra speaker wire and inexpensive interconnects is all this should take.

Take a look at our DIY fourm and search for the word "Flexy". There are several members who built their own rack with pre-finished boards and long, threaded rods for less than $100.

Hope something I said helps get weight off that TV.

Vin

Supporting Actor
Couldn't you have them build you something to go around the TV? IOW, it will have a top platform the depth of the top of the TV (or deeper if you like) that doesn't actually rest on top of your set and legs on the sides for support. Then paint it black and put your equipment 'on top' like you do now.

I realize that you don't have room for an equipment rack on the side of the TV but legs from a support structure wouldn't require more than an inch or so on either side.

Vin

I just re-read the thread from the top.....it seems Patrick already suggested this. :) Great idea Patrick, I like it! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks