What's new

Farewell To Farscape (1 Viewer)

Jacob Perry

Stunt Coordinator
Friday, March 21, 2003. The day Farscape dies.

Of course Im bitter about no resolution, but 88 Episodes is alot of Farscape. Alot of great Farscape.

Hopefully, and I know it will, it goes out with a bang tonight.

Don't forget to watch.

What a ride its been!

JP

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I was bummed last September when I heard about it... And now the day I was dreading is here.

I'll miss Moya and her crew... even Scorpius!

Ric

Eric Mitchell

Stunt Coordinator
I've thought a bit:

I have to say I enjoyed this episode. But it felt very compressed. It was just so linear and parts like Sparky's help and Pilot's sacrifice were very quick and unappreciated. Then it ended and the ending happened...maybe it was lame. I liked it, as a new plot. Meaning (to me) FarScape is Far from over ;)

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I'm not a fan of cliffhangers where things just happen basically out of the middle of nowhere - it felt like a deus ex machina in reverse.

I also thought the episode felted compressed. I enjoyed it but you can almost sense the urgency to rush out some sort of resolution then the ending, to me, felt tacked on almost as if to force the issue of a fifth season.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Wow!

What an excellent episode! All FARSCAPE all the way.

John and Harvey fighting in Bunny Suits was fan-frelling tasticly hilarious!

John's talk with his dad had me teared up. Just great stuff there.

The end was wild. John's reaction to Aeryn's news was great, and D'argo and Rigel's misinterpretation of what was happening was just great.

The very end was perfectly true to the spirit of Farscape. D'argo's scream was just heart-wrenching. I can still hear it. That really stuck with me. Wow.

I think it's cool that they choose not to take the easy way out and just edit the last 30 seconds out of the episode for a nice happy ending. Obviously this was never intended to be the end of the series (AND IT ISN"T). This episode was written and filmed while the creators were already writing and planning for season 5, so of course they threw in a wild unexcepted massive FARSCAPE cliffhanger at the end.

I think that David Kemper had said that after they got the news of the premature cancellation (after this episode was filmed) he considered editing the end so that it would end on a nicer note with more of a feeling like "this is the end of the show". And it really could have felt that way if they cut away before the alien ship showed up. Instead, he decided to stay true to what they originally planned and keep it as more of a SEASON finale and not a SERIES finale, so they kept the cliffhanger. I love that they decided to keep the "TO BE CONTINUED" text at the end as well. If they didn't keep that, then it would have seemed as if they decided to just end the show with an unexpected, surprise, tragic twist. Since we get the "TBC" message at the end, we KNOW it's NOT the end. They AREN'T dead (although on an emotional level it does feel that way, but we know better). D'argo's scream.......man there was so much emotion there. Damn, I can still FEEL that scream. Haunting.

I can't wait for season five. It may be a year, or two, or more, but it will come. If not. David Kemper said he would "get the rest of the story to the fans" somehow (book maybe?). But I think for the time being, they are just going to go on with their lives and careers and hope that they will be able to revist this wonderful show eventually.

Another great thing about keeping the "TO BE CONTINUED" on there was that it was kind of a "screw you" to the Sci-Fi channel, who have been promoting this as the "series finale". HA! Nope. There's more, YOU just decided not make it. When Sci-Fi's message came up at the end saying thank you to the show's creators and fans (sorry we screwed you out of the season five we promised) I had to yell a big "Frell off" at the screen.

Oh, and the end...lame?? PLEASE!! What have you been smoking? The end was true FARSCAPE.

This is John Crichton signing off, somewhere in the Universe.

Eric Mitchell

Stunt Coordinator
I won't argue with others on their "lame" feelings of the ending. The episode was pure FarScape, but as for a "Series" finale. It might have been that. I was expecting some grand ending which opened the possibility for a future. Not a cliffhanger like there was in only the last few moments with a new enemy? (was that character new?)

Also. Were the first few minutes from a prior episode that I don't remember or a quick gloss over some missed plot? I loved the tie in with Pip and D'argo to the two uncertain lovers. And the "Dear John, letter...?" lol.

Edit: Watching it again. And, frelling best show ever... Only the last few moments sit awkward with me. (I still loved them)

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
When they were kissing on that boat I yelled out, "OK...THE END!"

Even when that ship came roaring by I said, "Well...That's OK...So they're gonna end it like it's just another day at the office.

But NO-OOOOOOO. Farscape couldn't possibly do that. The only way to explain that ending is Kemper/Henson & Co. must KNOW they are goona continue the rest of this story. Or maybe they really feel like they will get picked up by someone. Otherwise, why leave your fans with that type of ending. "To be continued", no less.

Fabulous episode regardless.

clemente

Agent
When they wrote it, they thought they had a season 5 to go ahead and explain everything, so why not end the series on a cliffhanger, every other season has ended on a major cliffhanger. This one just seems a little more severe than being stranded in space (twice).

I loved the "to be continued", what a better way to show the fans, and Sci-Fi that despite there attempts, the show wasn't meant to end at that moment.

Jon Torres

Second Unit
I can't believe the show is over. I think I'm going to have to rewatch it at midnight. It seemed to go by too quickly. There wasn't enough depth w/ Pilot, Stark, etc. Also, I didn't really get the whole Scorpius thing. He was offering protection to Earth, but his ship couldn't get to the wormhole fast enough, so it wouldn't matter, right? Why is it there were no goodbyes from/to Sikozu who has been part of the crew since the beginning of the season? What happened to the Scarran ship that they passed by in the wormhole? If he ended up on the Earth side, they could easily take over the planet. Also, once Crichton, Aeryn, and Pilot got back on Moya, how did they outrun the Scarran big ship that was headed to the wormhole? Should have been two episodes instead.

I mentioned last week about Aeryn heading into the medical ward on the peacekeeper ship last week, so we found out what happened there. I thought we'd find out if it was a boy or a girl.

I was really hoping for a happy ending. It would have been okay with me if they ended it all on the boat, but NOOOO. I would have been happy if last week's episode was the finale too. I can hear D'argo's scream too. Very emotional. To be continued is classic farscape. We all look forward to what happens next. It's a sad sad day.

Duane R

Second Unit
If nothing else, it sure went out with a bang. Dargo's scream definitely chilled the atmosphere. Maybe I'm just a dreamer, but I see the show being resurrected in some form in 2 years when SciFi's broadcast rights expire (if not sooner). I also believe that John and Aeryn aren't dead--did you notice the pilot said something into the com about "neutralizing" them for analysis (or something similar). After all, you can't kill the main character and his squeeze now, can you? I've had this episode available to me for about 10 days, but I restrained myself from watching it until today just so I could savor it--and I was not disappointed. A toast to the crew of Moya and all of those talented people who made it fly for 88 arns worth of quality television...Until we meet again. And to SciFi: Go Frell yourself.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I think they knew before filming the last few episodes that the show was being cancelled so they could easily have altered the last minute of the show if they had wanted to. Obviously, they had a reason for leaving the cliffhanger and I think it's more than simply that they expected a fifth season.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
in reverse.

I also thought the episode felt compressed.
Yep. Absolutely fantastic episode, except for the stoooooooopid ending (and if they'd cut the last two minutes, they might have had a little room to flesh out the rest, if the footage was available).

Understand - even if the show was coming back for a fifth season any time soon, I still would have hated that ending on general principle. I just don't like it when the end of a TV show has almost nothing to do with what I've been watching.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks