What's new

Who are your favorite audio designers? (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Chu,

I read "Man Out of Time" about Tesla. He did have some weird phobias. I also remember that he worked for Westinghouse for quite a while.

Interestingly enough, I first learned of him from the rock group, Tesla, long before I got my EET degree.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
i think in the end we all benefited from the rivalry...so you plan on having a tv show someday Brian.."This Old Speaker" :D

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Chu,

That along with another show called "Marconi was a phoney"! :)

I'd love to see the transcripts from the court case where it was decided that Tesla was the true inventor of the radio.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Interestingly enough, I first learned of him from the rock group, Tesla, long before I got my EET degree.
My sister had a turntable called Tesla,back in the early 70's,I guess the Chechs[Tesla was from there]were very proud of him,so they named the brand after him.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Lewis,

IIRC, I believe there's actually a museum dedicated to Tesla in his home country (I don't dare try to spell it!).

Terry St

Second Unit
Edison believed strongly in DC power distribution and was rather successful in smearing Tesla. Not to say that Tesla didn't have some peculiar ideas such as his thoughts that he could send signals faster than the speed of light. Well in the end we all benefit and it's good you brought his name up.
Edison did have some odd ways of making his point. He often set up public displays to show how dangerous AC power was. These usually involved the death of a cat or dog, and on one occasion, an Elephant. He even relased a silent film, titled "Electrocuting an Elephant" of the unfortunate pachyderm smoldering away. The SPCA would have had a field day with Edison, to say the least!

Actually, the truth is the elephant was being "executed for capital crimes". It killed a few people during the construction of coney island apparantly. Other methods of dispatching the thick-skinned beast were panned when Edison so selflessly offered to help out. We'd be much more civilized today of course. We'd call it "puting down a dangerous animal". Times and values were a little different back then I suppose.

So, besides the personal attacks, this is the sort of thing Tesla was up against. Edison may have been a genius but he sure knew how to play dirty pool! Animal snuff films!!! Still, he deserves extra attention here because of his other useful inventions, like the light bulb or kinetoscope, that are so prominent amongst the obsessions of this particular board's readers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks