What's new

Who are your favorite audio designers? (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I have to agree with Nelson Pass and Bryston as well.

I am less certain about John Dunlavy. I have had some really horrible experiences with his speakers and I have yet to hear a good pair.

Kevin Voecks at Revel is another good speaker designer...

Julian Vereker (RIP), etc.
Mike, I don't know these folks, what did they do?

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Does the name David Hafler ring a bell?

I purchased my Hafler amps back in 1981 and they are still going strong.

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
"The dudes behind Lexicon and Logic 7 "

Doctor David Griesinger and the rest of Team Squid. Definitly agree with that one and will add Mike Dzurko.

Shawn

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Mike,

I love Naim and Spendor - thanks for clarifying.

how much do aesthetics play into these choices?
Zip. All that matters is sound and maybe a little bit in my view for reliability.

Roy Hall from Music Hall may be another one since he makes great turntables cheaply. I think it is much more difficult to get good sound from less expensive gear.

:)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
So would that mean that something like a Realistic receiver would inherently sound poorly?
I think the majority if not all, of Music Hall's stuff is oem'd in asia.

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
I forgot a couple:

Jim Bongiorno - father of the Dynaco stereo 400 and early Sumo stuff. I still have a pair of first-generation Andromeda amps (circa 1982) that are sounding sweet as ever.

Arnie Nudell - the Nuclear Physicist wizard behind innovative Infinity and Genesis speakers. Those servo woofers were way ahead of their time...

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I am less certain about John Dunlavy.
Figured you would,his no "nonsense" aproach to audio in general,doesn't sit too well with some "audiophiles".His take on expensive cables, is just one example.
His SC-V speakers among the best I've heard.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Lewis...

Hope you have a can of raid handy.. You are stirring the
hornets nest! (Keep up the good work) Heh :emoji_thumbsup:

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
lol...think those designers ought to check their listening and discrimatory abilities? for ~$25 you can pick up a disc and evaluate your own ability to discriminate http://www.digital-recordings.com/audiocd/audio.html
after all you wouldn't want a pilot flying you that's 20/200 in both eyes.
i tell you though, i'd love to see these high end designers get together in a room and pick out their amps in a level matched blind situation. I'll toss in a 70's Sansui just to make it fair.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I'll second Nikola Tesla, the true inventor of the radio. Marconi is a copy-cat!:) Tesla was doing some wild things back in the mid to late 1800's. Things such as creating earthquakes in downtown NYC by strapping an oscillator to a pole that was sunk into the foundation of the building and firing it up! He also designed and built remote-controlled submarines and is largely responsible for the AC electricity running through your house right now.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
well the Tesla/Edison battles with regards to power distribution were very interesting, Tesla being a former employee of Edison's I believe. The competition between the two, and the size of their respective egos were monumental.
When Tesla displayed the AC motor, Edison's comments were funny.

"You have to remember that this contraption has come from the brain of a man who has phobias about pearl earrings worn by women, never stays in a hotel room or floor whose number is divisible by three, and insists on a large number of napkins at every meal with which he meticulously polishes his silverware."
Edison believed strongly in DC power distribution and was rather successful in smearing Tesla. Not to say that Tesla didn't have some peculiar ideas such as his thoughts that he could send signals faster than the speed of light. Well in the end we all benefit and it's good you brought his name up.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I think Saul Marantz has done some pretty good work in the past. John Curl is another favorite of mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks