What's new

When are We going to see a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Blu-ray Release?! (2 Viewers)

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Eh, if the movie were to come out on Blu-Ray, I'd rather Fox do it. Twilight time is too limited in their runs and because they're a boutique label, they have to charge more. Too many great films are sold out or are unavailable to rent because Twilight Time has the rights. Granted, maybe noboy else would pick them us, but still, I balk at some of their prices. As for the TV series on Blu, I doubt we'll see it. We're lucky we have it on DVD at all. Anyway, greater resolution will only expose more "models on wires" and other techniques hidden by lower resolution. I think it looks great as is. And after decades of crappy 16mm print runs, these are a godsend. I just wish they had come out on single sided DVDs like the UK releases.

KarlB737

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karl
ScottRE said:
greater resolution will only expose more "models on wires" and other techniques hidden by lower resolution.
As it is with the advances in television technology I have sometimes seen wires when the Flying Sub is in the air if the shot is close enough.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
It is interesting to see the Seaview and Flying Sub models suspended-guided-maneuvered with support wiring somewhat dispelling the illusion that they are self-motivated. Everyone always comes up with the conudrum about the lag in releasing the third (1966-67) and fourth season (1967-68) of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA. But it has to be remembered-understood-acknowledged that the entire series was newly restored from the original 35mm source elements. Compare the VOYAGE tv series (standard) DVD releases with THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. (to cite just one example) which just (lazily) went with the existing-available source elements. There is definitely a marked difference here! This process obviously took time and effort. Who knows maybe there were some inherent problems with securing the best source elements available which could have accounted for the delay. This program is almost 50 years old now. The issue now facing us is: What exactly is the future of "standard" DVD? How much longer is the market going to support two different mediums? How much longer will the major home entertainment manufacturers continue with "standard" DVD? So I am looking toward what I consider to be the inevitable. Blu-ray high definition is the way to go. There are likely those now who will only purchase the blu-ray medium. At this moment 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment is solicting requests on just what films to release on blu-ray. So I am preparing for a blu-ray release of VOYAGE by (constructively) suggesting how it could be approached and improved upon. I feel that the Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series franchise is a very important commericial aspect of Fox Home Entertainment marketing in much the same way that STAR TREK is with Paramount Pictures Home Entertainment. To add substance to my point-of-view: How many times has Fox Home Entertainment repeatedly released its SF catalogue of films? THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (1951) has already made it onto blu-ray. SF entertainment is a big seller. It transcends and attracts the fascination of generation-after-generation. I (confidently) feel that VOYAGE will inevitably make it onto blu-ray for no more reason than ultimately there won't be any "standard" DVD to speak of. To be accepted or rejected. In addressing a (possible) blu-ray release of THE TIME TUNNEL I should have further included: *A restoration-correction of the damaged print footage in "Raiders from Outer Space" (31/03/1967). Jeff T. :rolleyes:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
JeffT. said:
The issue now facing us is: What exactly is the future of "standard" DVD? How much longer is the market going to support two different mediums? How much longer will the major home entertainment manufacturers continue with "standard" DVD?
The future of DVD actually looks fairly good. Current sales figures from Home Media Magazine show DVD sales leading BR by roughly 2 to 1:
ee9fb2c5_Webresearch-030413.jpeg
That 67% is DVD sales with BR at 33%. That's been pretty stable with regular swings toward more DVD sales for the past year. You see the *revenue* of BR being higher than DVD but that's primarily due to average prices of BR discs being roughly double that of DVDs. Until you see BR prices *matching* DVD prices across-the-board I feel you'll still see strong sales of DVD over BR. As far as VTTBOTS, IMHO you'll see a BR release *if* the demand is strong enough. While Fox is soliciting opinions of which *movies* to release on BR they seem to have little to no interest in their TV catalog.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
KarlB737 said:
As it is with the advances in television technology I have sometimes seen wires when the Flying Sub is in the air if the shot is close enough.
As the high-def era has made obvious to some of us: Not everything was meant to be seen so clearly.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Vic Pardo said:
As the high-def era has made obvious to some of us: Not everything was meant to be seen so clearly.
Seconded! I was watching the Season One Episode of VTTBOTS called "Cradle of the Deep" and whenever I saw the Creature I'd think to my self OMG! We're being attacked by a hostile Garbage Bag!" :laugh:

JeffT.

Deceased Member
I think the statistics reflect that bluray is gradually catching up. In some instances bluray is not all that expensive. If I have a choice between the two medium I choose bluray. If an existing property is upgraded to bluray then I advance to it (ie. THE TWILIGHT ZONE, the JAMES BOND films, FORBIDDEN PLANET, THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL, RAY HARRYHAUSEN COLLECTION, etc.). I waited for ROBINSON CRUESOE ON MARS (1964) to be made available in bluray before I actually purchased it. I purchased the recent UNIVERSAL HORROR CLASSICS COLLECTION in bluray. Right now (until bluray really catches on) anticipating a bluray release of VOYAGE is clearly still too premature but it's (likely) coming nonetheless. As bluray prices become more competitive with "standard" DVD then that's really it for the latter. At present bluray is still in its infancy and we are trailblazing "pioneers" in the ever-advancing home entertainment medium. Pertaining to the "clarity" of VOYAGE it already is "high-definition" in a manner of speaking because care and precision was given in restoring it. But bluray will make it more compatible with current state-of-the-art televisions. Bluray hasn't really hurt THE TWILIGHT ZONE any. Rather than doubledip and purchase THE FUGITIVE tv series twice in "standard" DVD I much prefer to patiently wait for it to be made available in bluray. Jeff T. :rolleyes:

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Gary guess what Classic Voyage Episode I shall be watching this weekend??? The best episode of the series if fans would only confess to the fact!!!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Collins
Gary guess what Classic Voyage Episode I shall be watching this weekend??? The best episode of the series if fans would only confess to the fact!!!

I have no idea, Mark. My favorite episode is probably nobody else's favorite, so I'm guessing it won't be the one I enjoy the most. But I'm curious as to which episode you are referring to.
Gary "don't make me wait long for the answer, buddy" O.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Too many to really chose from, but certainly in my list of favourites is The Deadly Dolls

KarlB737

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karl
Mark Collins said:
I think (unless I am mistaken with someone else) that Mark's favorite episode is "The Mechanical Man" Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Preview The Mechanical Man

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I believe that Mark has already told us that his favorite is "The Terrible Leprechaun", and this weekend being St. Patrick's Day, it seems a good clue. My favorite is "Submarine Sunk Here", a brilliant hour of television. Harry

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-N
I believe that Mark has already told us that his favorite is "The Terrible Leprechaun", and this weekend being St. Patrick's Day, it seems a good clue.
My favorite is "Submarine Sunk Here", a brilliant hour of television.

Ah, that makes sense. Mark, if that is correct (or even if it isn't), let me wish you happy viewing this weekend.
Harry, you and I see it the same. "Submarine Sunk Here" is easily my favorite episode. It was a definitely a great hour of television.
Gary "long live Admiral Nelson and Captain Crane" O.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Harry when have I ever stated that the The Terrible Leprechaun is my favorite Voyage episode. Come now you have to give me better credit than that. I think you need to watch more Mannix to figure out my classic episode LOL Karl that is one heck of a great epsiode and where did you get the previews? Gary of course is in the dark as usual. I suppose I will have to name it because I cannot post after the 14th. Harry I watched The Terriable Leprechaun last weekend. I went to church for lent today so I cannot lie. So you see I am right you had better watch some more Mannix episodes before I call you in on a case. I have finished all season 3 and fast trying to wrap up season 4. I enjoy much of season 1. I watched the color pilot just a few weeks ago during a snow storm. "I watched the nasty Frost Man too because the sets are cool and the line we will leave this planet half flame half ice" is delivered so well and I had a fire going and the snow was coming down. Good guess Karl with me being a Time Tunnel fan. Nightmare is next if I can work it in and it is a good season 4 episode. Really my classic Voyage is the very last with Mr Pem. Like Richard stated there are so many how do you make a choice. Happy St Pat's everyone!!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Ok Harry was right! His Mannix viewing has rubbed off. I did watch The Terrible Leprechaun last weekend though. I have a great many films to get in before Easter and I was afraid I would not have time for it this weekend. Harry if I ever said it was my favorite it was a joke. Get out of that Florida sunshine you need some water. Like Richard said I love all Voyage and the little man in green or red or both does make me laugh. I love when the Chief talks about him to Richard Basehart and the look on Baseharts face is priceless. I am going to watch The Mechanical Man thanks Karl it is a good episode no joke. I also have a soft spot for Deadly Dolls so I may watch that one Thursday Night. Thanks Richard!!! Good to hear from you again! Nice to have Jeff here too once more. Sorry for the joke my friends.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Harry when have I ever stated that the The Terrible Leprechaun is my favorite Voyage episode. Come now you have to give me better credit than that.
Ok Harry was right! His Mannix viewing has rubbed off. I did watch The Terrible Leprechaun last weekend though.
So I'm both right AND wrong? Heh! :)
Whatever - as long as you're having a good time, Mark. And it sounds like you are. Happy St. Patrick's Day, and see you on the other side of the HTF move.
Harry

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Harry thanks again for smokeing me out! Gosh I did not think it would happen that fast!! LOL You know what all this talk about the episode makes me want to watch it tonight!! You and Gary however did pick a very good Voyage episode. So you see I am not caught up in the monster of the week episodes all the time. Really I did like two episodes on the bomb. I cannot think of the name and would have to go to the book. 1st season episode they think they are at war and then the guy who is married to Gena Rowlands in season 2. The crazy part is season 3 did have some just sub episodes and no monsters. The last one of the season was all about RIchard trying to blow up the ship. I sort of like Nightmare because I believe that again is another Fail Safe episode in season 4. Yes Sir see you on the other side I hope. Mark

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Mark, I love "Doomsday" (the 1st season episode I think you are referring to involving "the bomb"). What I like about it is the way it begins with a very lighthearted opening where the sub is crossing the equator and the crew is celebrating with a very interesting ceremony. It's a nice way to have the viewer kick back and relax before it hits a very serious note. Of course, I'm forever scarred seeing Chief Jones as the bride of King Neptune (aka Mr. Morton).
Gary "I'm about ready to start watching this series again from the beginning with all this talk" O.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Originally Posted by Gary OS
Mark, I love "Doomsday" (the 1st season episode I think you are referring to involving "the bomb"). What I like about it is the way it begins with a very lighthearted opening where the sub is crossing the equator and the crew is celebrating with a very interesting ceremony. It's a nice way to have the viewer kick back and relax before it hits a very serious note. Of course, I'm forever scarred seeing Chief Jones as the bride of King Neptune (aka Mr. Morton).
Gary "I'm about ready to start watching this series again from the beginning with all this talk" O.
Yeah, it's been awhile for me too. So when I do get to it, I'll be ready.
Harry

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
By the way, something I've been meaning to mention regarding VOYAGE on DVD. I've now seen the very cheap $9.99 pricing on VOYAGE sets in three places around here. A while ago they had a bunch of them up at Best Buy. And I've spotted a rogue Fourth Season Volume 1 up in Cracker Barrel's rack of TV shows. Yesterday I saw a S2V2 at a Walmart for the same relative pricing.

I've also spotted rogue sets of LOST IN SPACE at these same places - but NEVER a TIME TUNNEL!

Harry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks