What's new

When are We going to see a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Blu-ray Release?! (1 Viewer)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Gary OS said:
Mark, I love "Doomsday" (the 1st season episode I think you are referring to involving "the bomb"). What I like about it is the way it begins with a very lighthearted opening where the sub is crossing the equator and the crew is celebrating with a very interesting ceremony. It's a nice way to have the viewer kick back and relax before it hits a very serious note. Of course, I'm forever scarred seeing Chief Jones as the bride of King Neptune (aka Mr. Morton).
laugh.gif

Gary "I'm about ready to start watching this series again from the beginning with all this talk" O.
Gary, yes that was the episode I meant to find the title for. Harry now we are on the other side. Voyage is the first post I have made and may have been the first post I ever made here. I am starting from the start too. I have also caught up on Time Tunnel episodes which I view once per year between fall and spring. I think I am near the last 10 on TT. Harry I also checked out here at the places you stated for Voyage DVDS all but Walmart had them.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
New forum, new post, new page for one of the great, long-running threads on the Home Theater Forum. And here's a bit of odd news: on the MeTV scheduling page, they list "Shadowman" for this week, a late third season episode. Next week though, they list "The Village Of Guilt", an early first season episode, followed by "Hot Line" the following week.

I don't know if that's a mistake, or that they're actually going back to first season.

Harry

JeffT.

Screenwriter
I always like to be first in these things as there are many brilliant contributors in our ranks who I (genuinely) respect and like.

Revelation Films THE TIME TUNNEL - THE COMPLETE SERIES 'BLU-RAY" (PAL) EDITION 7-disc set is scheduled for release in the U.K. on August 26th, 2013.

Provided is a weblink to the AMAZON U.K. online retail merchandise webpage for more (exciting) details:

http://tinyurl.com/timetunnelbluraypaledition

And likely VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA will shortly follow in a similarly packaged blu-ray (Pal) release.

So you see it was always a possibility that some of us had the foresight to reasonably anticipate.

We will likely see blu-ray editions of THE TIME TUNNEL, VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA and THE INVADERS, and rightly so because these SF-premised classic tv series sell. There is a market for them. While I'm at it why don't they get cracking on a deluxe blu-ray release of THE OUTER LIMITS as well?

Just as important as the superior blu-ray medium is the hope that corrections, further additions and improvements for a North American release (when it is decided to move ahead on). This "monster" nuisance of a discussion thread is loaded with suggestions.

As I said before just as long as 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment understands to make a marked distinction between the (generally) "adult" and "juvenile" Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series (ie. VOYAGE fans are not necessary LOST IN SPACE fans. Amen!). These show were stratigically targeted as differing sectors of the tv viewing audience and we are not necessarily one in our interests, appreciation and priorities).

I wish they had come up with a more attractive packaging design properly fitting for THE TIME TUNNEL though!

Jeff T.

:D

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Don;t get excited; Revelation (who have the license for all the shows except Lost In Space, here in the UK) confirmed on the Mausoleum Club forums that the UK BluRay releases won't be high definition. They are just upscaled standard definition. Apparently it;s just impossible to get Fox to release true high-defintion masters - it's very odd because the DVD releases look so good it is obvious that they went back to the original film elements, or very close anyway.

Either Fox simply see no profitable market for BluRay releases, therefore there are no HD masters to release as they haven't done any, or they are holding them in reserve for some reason (broadcast first perhaps). I am inclined to the former.

The extreme slowness of the Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea releases indicates that the Irwin Allen series just didn't sell as well as they thought - I think they got burnt on them. The Lost In Space releases were a failure here in the UK, at least in the eyes of a big corporation like Fox...which is why the other series had to wait until a much smaller label like Revelation licensed them here.

It was also Revelation that made a mess of The Time Tunnel releases - they presented the episodes in production order, not broadcast, which necessitated removing the "Next Week..." teasers (which were included as a standalone extra)

They have at least acknowledged this was a bad decision and it should be reversed for the BluRays.

The BluRays will look better - they are upscaled and can be presented at much higher bitrates. But they won't be in true high defintion.

It's the same way that Gerry Anderson's U.F.O series got released on BluRay in Germany; but it was standard defintion.

JeffT.

Screenwriter
It's is good that the cliffhanger endings are being restored with their original corresponding broadcast episode. The production order may work for the early half of the LAND OF THE GIANTS tv series but definitely not for either VOYAGE or THE TIME TUNNEL. It isn't necessary at all.It sounds like this is the initiative of just Revelation Films then and it may still be too premature for a bonafide blu-ray in North America, but I am confident it will happen.I am not at surprised at the DVD poor sales of LOST IN SPACE (which was the same story in North America as well) that show (with the exception of the occasional episode) just hasn't held up well at all with the passage of years.Thank you for properly clarifying things for us.Jeff T.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Actually, production order worked fine for Voyage on the UK DVDs. There's no real continuity or cliffhangers to worry about so it didn't matter one way or another, other than tracking when certain things were introduced to the series, like the flying sub, etc. Lost inSpace has cliffhangers, sone which are edited into the body of the previous episode, so moving thse around would be as bad as The Time Tunnel. But Voyage? I actually prefer peduction order for that series (and Star Trek as well).

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
JeffT. said:
I am not at surprised at the DVD poor sales of LOST IN SPACE (which was the same story in North America as well) that show (with the exception of the occasional episode) just hasn't held up well at all with the passage of years.
It is still, however, the most famous of the Irwin Allen shows and is better remembered than any of the more straight adventure series he did at the time. Much as I place it third in my order of IA favorites, LiS is the series that really should have done better than any of them because of that "general public" recognition factor.

JeffT.

Screenwriter
I would be inclined to say that LOST IN SPACE is the most "infamous" in the Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series canon and it is primarily because of SPACE that these shows (collectively) have acquired their inferior reputations (in some circles).But (generally) it is a very quaint show and it is not my responsiblity to support it or advocate either an improved DVD or blu-ray release. That is up to others who really appreciate it (and they are free to do so). I don't!It is particularly very tiresome and frustrating when some "uniformed" U.K. publication will do an article on great SF tv series with LOST IN SPACE included and yet there is no mention of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA, no mention of THE TIME TUNNEL, no mention of THE OUTER LIMITS, no mention of THE INVADERS. This is craziness! Who care about trifles like SPACE when there are formidable heavyweights like the aforementioned?
If one is so enamoured with SPACE that much than just watch, or try to watch, masterworks like "Collision of Planets," "The Promised Planet," "A Day at the Zoo," "Princess of Space," "Castles in Space," "Space Beauty," "The Great Vegetable Rebellion" and "Junkyard in Space." Fine if you happen to be 4 years old!Pertaining to the subject of VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL being made on blu-ray. It has already been established (in this discussion thread) that blu-ray sales in North America constitute about one-third of the current video market. So it is clearly way too early to move on this. In the interim we have time to help shape just what direction these (potential) blu-ray releases should take.On the topic of the (questionable) sales of the VOYAGE individual season sets I personally checked the AMAZON.COM (U.S.) sales ratings when the VOYAGE tv series DVD sets first came out and VOYAGE (like THE TIME TUNNEL) consistently placed well within the top 100 sales standing. I saw this! I have never seen THE FUGITIVE, PERRY MASON or GUNSMOKE do this.Currently the VOYAGE tv series DVD sets on AMAZON seem to be still selling well (on AMAZON.CA for much higher prices than when they were originally released) and supplies are always dwindling. So things seem to going just fine on this.Jeff T.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I have all of the Irwin Allen 1960s Sci-Fi. Yes, it's a mixed bag, there are some memerable episodes, some good, others you wondered what in blazes they were thinking? Oh well, there's always a bad apple in the barrel. Every series has that point where it "jumped the shark", as they say.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I would love to see THE TIME TUNNEL get a Blu-ray release. It could correct the very few minor problems that we had with the DVD sets: double-sided discs would be eliminated, and the "In-Color" bumpers could be restored. Since THE TIME TUNNEL was only one season long with 30 episodes, this could neatly be done on one Blu-ray set while maintaining the DVD extras we already got, including the next-week previews, network promos, interviews, etc. As a one-season show, the retail cost wouldn't be too outrageous.

VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA, being a four-season show, would necessitate a much larger investment in terms of cost. I don't know that I personally would be willing to splurge on VOYAGE as a Blu-Ray set, unless the cost were well-within my budget.

LOST IN SPACE is surely not on my radar. I have the somewhat suspect DVDs, and they will serve me for whatever purposes I need them. The same goes for LAND OF THE GIANTS. Those two are series that I just don't revisit very often.

Since TIME TUNNEL and VOYAGE (and LAND) all got high-definition updates when they were remastered for DVD, it wouldn't take too much effort to re-release them in the Blu-Ray format. It only takes a commitment from 20th Century Fox Home Video, if they want to do it themselves, or license out the product to another company.

Harry

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I've double and triple dipped on Voyage, so another dip to upgrade to Blu would be a no-brainer to me. I'd get a Lost in Space restored release on BD simply because the current releases were made from vastly inferior prints. It deserves the same treatment as any of the other shows. No matter how good or bad an Irwin Allen series, each has their own merits and provide lots of entertainment value. 60's TV has always been my favorite.

As for the Amazon,com rankings, I wouldn't judge the Fugitive's ranking without considering the huge hoopla over the wholesale music replacement in the 2nd and 3rd seasons. After that, many fans stopped buying the sets. The reently released Most Wanted Edition put out the entire series with restored audio, but the price is a bit high and is much less expensive from other outlets. I rarely get my DVDs from Amazon, going for the less costly outlets.

JeffT.

Screenwriter
As I have said all this is in the (hopefully possible) future and one might feel differently but you are a true VOYAGE fan to be sure (and likely have invested enough in the show).

THE TIME TUNNEL on blu-ray is just fine with me...but there are some (necessary) improvements, corrections and additions to be considered first!

As Harry noted most of the preparatory work is already completed:

- the inclusion of all the "In Colour" pre-teaser bumpers for all 30 episodes

- the replacement of the missing footage with Tony and Doug seen travelling through the multi-coloured dimensional vortex at the conclusion of "Secret Weapon" (25/11/1966)

- repair of the noticable print damage in "Raiders from Outer Space" (31/03/1967)

- full restoration of the Irwin Allen produced made-for-television film TIME TRAVELLERS (1976)

- the finale scoring for the cliffanger ending of "End of the World" (23/09/1966) featuring the opening scenes from "The Day the Sky Fell In" (30/09/1966) was different in its initial debut primetime telecast (with the commentator heard saying, "We will return to THE TIME TUNNEL after these commercial messages" which would make for a nice bonus extra

- auxiliary bonus music tracks

Of course a vastly improved upon packing design!

Jeff T.

:)

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
JeffT. said:
As I have said all this is in the (hopefully possible) future and one might feel differently but you are a true VOYAGE fan to be sure (and likely have invested enough in the show).
Jeff T.

:)
I'll say, I even got the PAL DVD sets from Revelation Films. Even though the content is identical (and in production order) they put Voyage in this really sweet complete box on single sided DVDs. It's amazing how great the set is. I wish the US treated the show with the same respect.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
ScottRE said:
I'll say, I even got the PAL DVD sets from Revelation Films. Even though the content is identical (and in production order) they put Voyage in this really sweet complete box on single sided DVDs. It's amazing how great the set is. I wish the US treated the show with the same respect.
I have S1 on the new PAL discs and I too prefer it to the R1 Fox sets. Down the road I may opt for the remainder of the PAL discs just to get away from the double-sided Fox ones.

Gary "the customary speed-up issue is a bit of a distraction with me on this show only because I know it so well, but it's not a huge problem" O.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
i Some person posted this.

Station break which I transfered years ago. I have two copies of all seasons except season 1 which I am after. I wished I had bought season 1 at Best Buy last Summer and season 4 vol 2. I just purchased it at Amazon for under 25 bucks. Walmart had season 1 packaged together but once again I was a fool and did not buy. I have found with double dip on both Voyage and Time Tunnel that they look even better. TT really does. My dvds of TT are the oldest of the Irwin Allen shows. I even have columbia house vhs copies of TT.

I would buy BD sets of TT and Voyage but I want the color intros on each epsiode of TT and Voyage. We only have a few on Season 4 of Voyage and none from TT. Previews too from Voyage. I want the station breaks for both series too. LIS and Giants i enjoy but as Harry stated I rarely revisit them.

The LIS Christmas episode I of course watch every year. I am just having fun with Gary by stateing this. I am after season 1 of Voyage. I cannot watch Pal and wish I could but prefer a US version when I buy DVDS even when stated region free. I want the Voyage movie in BD but we shall see. Oh what is missing from TIME TRAVELLERS? I am so glad WHV released a few years back City Beneath The Sea and Captian Nemo the later of which i did not care for. The hacked up Seaview I hated. I loved City and wished it could have been made into a series.

Voyage seems to be even now more popular since the DVD releases. I think it is because there just is not another show like it. Yes Sea Quest but I never liked the show and did not watch it. TT and Voyage along with Peyton Place and Dark Shadows are really the only series i revisit. I love Dallas Wild WIld West DS9 original BSG and Mannix but just do not pull them out.

Voyage makes me feal like a kid again and yes there are sub stories in season 3 and 4. People that do not know the show like all of us think there was monster every week which was not so. Heck even season 1 had a monster as did season 2. The price on season 4 is high hence when i found a good deal at Amazon i jumped on it.

Do not forget the new Voyage books out on Alpha Control.com last years book sold out.

JeffT.

Screenwriter
You fellas are really getting into the (right) spirit now!
The surface has only been scratched pertaining to what can be (further) done with both VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL in vastly improved upon blu-ray releases (bearing in mind that this will not happen over night).Pertaining to additions there are:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M29AoPe40m8and

THE TIME TUNNEL had its own mid-episode station identifier bumpers (narrated by Dick Tufeld).
I haven't double-dipped in anything so I am primed for these particular blu-ray releases.Jeff T.

:D

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Mark Collins said:
i Some person posted this.

Station break which I transfered years ago. I have two copies of all seasons except season 1 which I am after. I wished I had bought season 1 at Best Buy last Summer and season 4 vol 2. I just purchased it at Amazon for under 25 bucks. Walmart had season 1 packaged together but once again I was a fool and did not buy. I have found with double dip on both Voyage and Time Tunnel that they look even better. TT really does. My dvds of TT are the oldest of the Irwin Allen shows. I even have columbia house vhs copies of TT.

I would buy BD sets of TT and Voyage but I want the color intros on each epsiode of TT and Voyage. We only have a few on Season 4 of Voyage and none from TT. Previews too from Voyage. I want the station breaks for both series too. LIS and Giants i enjoy but as Harry stated I rarely revisit them.

The LIS Christmas episode I of course watch every year. I am just having fun with Gary by stateing this. I am after season 1 of Voyage. I cannot watch Pal and wish I could but prefer a US version when I buy DVDS even when stated region free. I want the Voyage movie in BD but we shall see. Oh what is missing from TIME TRAVELLERS? I am so glad WHV released a few years back City Beneath The Sea and Captian Nemo the later of which i did not care for. The hacked up Seaview I hated. I loved City and wished it could have been made into a series.

Voyage seems to be even now more popular since the DVD releases. I think it is because there just is not another show like it. Yes Sea Quest but I never liked the show and did not watch it. TT and Voyage along with Peyton Place and Dark Shadows are really the only series i revisit. I love Dallas Wild WIld West DS9 original BSG and Mannix but just do not pull them out.

Voyage makes me feal like a kid again and yes there are sub stories in season 3 and 4. People that do not know the show like all of us think there was monster every week which was not so. Heck even season 1 had a monster as did season 2. The price on season 4 is high hence when i found a good deal at Amazon i jumped on it.

Do not forget the new Voyage books out on Alpha Control.com last years book sold out.

Good comments, Mark. Voyage has the same effect on me (taking me back to my childhood), which is one of the reasons I enjoy revisiting the series over and over.

Gary "and thanks for the reminder about the new book coming later this year" O.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Gary OS said:
Good comments, Mark. Voyage has the same effect on me (taking me back to my childhood), which is one of the reasons I enjoy revisiting the series over and over.

Gary "and thanks for the reminder about the new book coming later this year" O.
That's why a lot of us collect TV Shows, to re-create our childhood. On Saturday Nights I play nothing but Saturday Morning Kids shows. Sure brings out the kid in me! :biggrin:

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
http://www.alphacontrolpress.biz/ Hi guys this is where you can buy the books i was talking about. Thanks Gary you and I are always on the same wave length my good friend LOL but true. I just wanted to state that Time Tunnel new dvds which I played first time this year were wonderful compared with the dvds i purchased when first came out. Voyage looked also more crisp after double dip and that is the reason I just ordered a second copy of season 4 volume 2. Amazon has only 6 left on vol 1. Season 4 is very high priced every place i looked. Last year for 10 bucks you buy all seasons at Best Buy. I sure wish i had bought the one i just ordered and all of season 1. I checked Walmart and they no longer have the deal for both volumes of 1 for 20 bucks.

Harry i count on you to keep us informed if you find it cheap! The books i did buy a revised copy even though i have the first sell out book. I am just nuts on Voyage that is all. Hey this year I have watched as much Voyage as Peyton Place and for me THAT is quite a big deal! I want to watch season 1 and 2 back to back maybe this summer. I only have 3 left on season 4. I will wait until my fresh copy comes in from Amazon. I love TT and Voyage and a HD set would be just what I would want with the extras we all spoke of.

Hey I also found LIS and Giants not all that bad. I enjoyed them last year on my back with pain pills as one person stated the only way I could watch them. Not true who ever spoke that. I watched all the epiosdes back to back and it was fun. Different shows of course they are but they do have value.

JeffT.

Screenwriter
Sorry, I just don't share this view at all. When it comes to the Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series catalogue I thoroughly enjoy both VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL and that's pretty much it.

If it comes down to which title be first awarded a blu-ray release I will be content with either. I will not be placated or amused with either LOST IN SPACE or LAND OF THE GIANTS.

The poor DVD sales of SPACE almost jeopardized continuation of VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL. 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment was reluctant to carry on which fortunately it did. Just stop and (seriously) consider how bleak things would be without either, so, with all due respect you can have LOST IN SPACE for what it's worth.

Beyond these two there is THE TWILIGHT ZONE, THE OUTER LIMITS, THE AVENGERS, THE PRISONER, STAR TREK, THE INVADERS and KOKCHAK THE NIGHT STALKER (to name a few).

i don't view myself as an Irwin Allen fan and do not want to be thought of as such. I am a VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL fan.

Jeff T.

:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks