What's new

When are We going to see a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Blu-ray Release?! (2 Viewers)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I'd love to have the 1st season of Lost in Space remastered and looking sharp. Other than that, I don't have a burning desire for the other two seasons of the show to be redone. But I did think the first season was pretty good. So for me the Irwin series go something like this:

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea S1, S2
Lost in Space S1
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea S3, S4
Time Tunnel
Lost in Space S2, S3
Land of the Giants

Gary "just my two cents" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Hadn't thought about rating the I.A. shows before now. Interesting..

Here's my list:

1 Time Tunnel - has always been my #1 I.A. show
2 Voyage... S1-2
3 LIS S1
4 LOTG

After that, they all rate about the same, remaining Voyage, LIS

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
For sure, THE TIME TUNNEL is at the top of my Irwin Allen list. It has been a lifelong favorite and will always be first in my thoughts, even though it has its problems. The show had such incredible untapped promise, but sadly degraded as the single season wore on.

VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA comes in second in the Irwin Allen universe. I've really come to like the first season a lot, now that I can appreciate it with great picture and sound. In the old syndicated repeats on SciFi, it looked like gray mush on the TV screen with unintelligible creaks and groans from the scratchy soundtrack. Thankfully, now that first season has much of the panache that some of the great crew-people brought over from THE OUTER LIMITS, making THOSE transfers look shabby by comparison.

LAND OF THE GIANTS ranks a poor third. The show would have been better off as a limited-run miniseries with a half-dozen or so great episodes. As it is, stretched over two seasons, it's a strain to watch. It does play better in production order though, and you can do that with the DVDs.

LOST IN SPACE is a near-hopeless fourth. Even as a teenager, I had trouble focusing in on something positive in the series. I did like the comedic elements with the robot, which now seem exceedingly silly to me. The show looks awful on DVD, particularly the two color seasons, but I don't know if I'd spring for an upgrade. It's just not that important to me. The first few episodes that are comprised of parts of the pilot are the best, with just a few palatable episodes beyond that.

I would upgrade THE TIME TUNNEL as a Blu-ray in a heartbeat. The rest? Probably not.

Harry

JeffT.

Deceased Member
When push comes to shove I am certain all of these Irwin Allen franchises will make it onto the blu-ray medium but the market is still very young.

I have no problems with THE TIME TUNNEL coming out first. Just think of it THE TIME TUNNEL trumps LOST IN SPACE! The mind boggles.

It would have been very interesting to have seen just what a second season of THE TIME TUNNEL would have been like. I don't think it would have lasted beyond two seasons but to have an extra 24 or 26 episodes in inventory would really be fantastic.

Jeff T.

:rolleyes:

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Voyage the first 3 seasons are between 18 and 19 dollars at Amazon. I want to get the first season as a double dip. I would hate to find out it was coming in HD next year after giving 35 bucks for season 1 when my DVDs look darn good. So i now have complete double dip on 2-4 Voyage and Time Tunnel.I still find value in each of the shows. LIS and Giants I am glad to have in my Library but I would never buy an up grade on LIS. Giants looks as good as the other 3. LIS fist and last season had some good shows. Giants had a few in each season. I always sort of hated the show because ABC and Irwin dumped Voyage for it. He had a choice because the network would have given Voyage another season.Time Tunnel/Voyage for HD count me in but I want more extras with Voyage. No more money on the other two series. Strange as it may seem LIS looked good on my HD set. Yes i know I was under pain pills. You do not have to remind me or the fact I have mentioned Peyton Place in another thread. Hey it is true I have watched more Voyage this season than Peyton Place.I would love from WHV an HD of City Beneath the Sea but that will never happen. Time Travelers i did not like so much nor the reboot of Time Tunnel.Jeff you still have not said what footage was missing from Travelers so what is it? More footage from Old Chicago where we know the plot came from.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Gary OS said:
...for me the Irwin series go something like this:

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea S1, S2
Lost in Space S1
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea S3, S4
Time Tunnel
Lost in Space S2, S3
Land of the Giants
Gary "just my two cents" O.
See what you started Gary! :D

For me it's:
Time Tunnel (I was very sad when it didn't return. It's the only IA show I was able to watch in its entirety during its original airings.)
Lost in Space S1 (I absolutely *love* the first season. It's hard to believe it's the same show as S2 and S3.)
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea S1, S2, S3
Lost in Space S2, S3
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea S4
Land of the Giants (last only because I don't believe I've ever seen an episode)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
BobO'Link, the entire LAND OF THE GIANTS series is available to watch online at www.hulu.com assuming you have a fast enough connection to the Internet. If you choose to, you should watch the pilot episode at least. It's one of Irwin Allen's better hours of television and probably the best of that series.

Speaking of Hulu, it's interesting to note that all four of the '60s Irwin Allen series are available for free on the site, but only the first two seasons of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA. You can watch all of TIME TUNNEL, all of LOST IN SPACE, all of LAND OF THE GIANTS, but only the first two seasons of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA.

Harry

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Here is what i found about Time Tunnel and is pretty much was confirmed here. http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=170925
The more i read the more i do not think it will happen. The fact Fox is involved just to get it done tells me it will not happen. I love Voyage the way it looks now and the upconvert on my bluray makes both Voyage and TT look good. We just received the last of Season 4 two year ago and that awful wait was hard but worth the prints we received. I am just glad James Finn pulled it off for us and I thank him to this day.
LIS was very popular perhaps not with me but with many fans and it did get a movie made from the series. I think Voyage has now become more popular then all 4 series due to the fact many people because of the DVDs have found it again and many younger viewers have also found it. I hope Kevin can pull off a Voyage movie.
I may now spring for a double dip on season 1. I thought if this was really going to happen i would wait. The Amazon price is just to good to pass up.
Gary i was thinking of buying a pal dvd player since you stated you have one. You know how i respect what you have to say. What say you my good friend? Good investment for me? Rather cheap at Amazon as i priced them out.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
I don't see anything in that discussion thread that would dispel the likeliness of Blu-ray releases of both VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL.

Now with LOST IN SPACE and LAND OF THE GIANTS it may well require an independent specialty outfit like Image Entertainment to (successfully) pull those off.

And I will deal specifically with LAND OF THE GIANTS. It was no big hit in primetime when it originally aired. It hasn't really faired all that well in tv syndication. And I (honestly) don't believe that its supporters are willing to pay the "big bucks" for it. GIANTS is likely the most obscure (and forgotten) Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series of the lot.

I realize that I started this Blu-ray idea but as has already been (convincingly) pointed out in this discussion thread (and I reiterate) the North American Blu-ray market is still in its formative stages. This specific market will have to grow considerably before anyone (including 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment) is willing to move forward on this. Give it time. It will happen! Standard DVD will one day be as extinct as laser discs and VHS.

This all reminds me of a skeptic (in THE BOWERY BOYS film series discussion thread) who won't accept widescreen representations of the latter produced installments. Similarly feeling that the standard "cropped" versions are good enough. Today I just saw for the very first time an online video download sampler of THE BOWERY BOYS MEET THE MONSTERS (1954) shown in all its widescreen glory and boy does it ever look positively fantastic! If one hasn't seen this film in its actual widescreen aspect ratio then one hasn't really seen it all.

And don't forget there was a highly successful VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (1961) feature film long before the LOST IN SPACE (1998) movie ever came out.

What really pains me here is that when VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL are successfully launched on DVD there is someone who (also) want SPACE and GIANTS. This sort of substantiates my feeling that these two shows in particular have always ridden on the coattails of VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL. And in a very real sense they did for it was the success of VOYAGE that launched the Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series dynasty in the first place.

Jeff T.

:rolleyes:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Harry-N said:
BobO'Link, the entire LAND OF THE GIANTS series is available to watch online at www.hulu.com assuming you have a fast enough connection to the Internet. If you choose to, you should watch the pilot episode at least. It's one of Irwin Allen's better hours of television and probably the best of that series.

Speaking of Hulu, it's interesting to note that all four of the '60s Irwin Allen series are available for free on the site, but only the first two seasons of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA. You can watch all of TIME TUNNEL, all of LOST IN SPACE, all of LAND OF THE GIANTS, but only the first two seasons of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA.

Harry
Thanks for that info! I may give it a try. I know my work connection is fast enough (a double OC3) but at home I have 1.5 DSL so...
Mark Collins said:
...I may now spring for a double dip on season 1...
I've read in this thread recently where several people talk about a double dip on S1. I'm curious why you would do this. My S1 sets *both* have issues and I've been reluctant to shell out for them again because of the type disks used. In fact it took the sale BB had last year of ~$10/set before I took a chance and sprung for S2-S4. Even then, my S4 set had one episode that will not play properly and the return window was *long* gone before I made that discovery. With a double dip on S1 I figure I'll be trading one bad set for another just on different episodes.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Yes I should have bought season 1 and did not from B&B but if this helps a future release of Voyage in HD I would be happy to re buy the entire series I love the show that much. Time Tunnel I would buy but the speed up is a problem. I will not buy unless Fox will issure it to us. I just do not think this will happen. Keep my thoughts to myself sure I can do this. I now will have the show along with TT double copies and am glad of it. I want to watch season 1 fresh and new starting this summmer

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
KarlB737 said:
Setting aside the episodes for just a minute have any of you seen this.

Submarine Seaview 8 Window Movie Version (39 Inches) With LED Lights - ProBuilt

http://www.probuiltscifi.co.uk/probuilt-models-for-sale/39inch-submarine-seaview

I stumbled onto this during this past week.

Oh yeah, I've seen it (many times). I salivate every time I look at that professionally done model of my favorite Seaview (the 8 window one). I'd love to have it, but at over $500 it's way out of my price range.

Gary "it really does look fabulous though" O.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
KarlB737 said:
Setting aside the episodes for just a minute have any of you seen this.

Submarine Seaview 8 Window Movie Version (39 Inches) With LED Lights - ProBuilt

http://www.probuiltscifi.co.uk/probuilt-models-for-sale/39inch-submarine-seaview

I stumbled onto this during this past week.
That's a *very* cool model! If I had both room and funds I'd order one. I'll have to be content with my original Revell model I purchased and built when the show first aired.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Mark Collins said:
Gary i was thinking of buying a pal dvd player since you stated you have one. You know how i respect what you have to say. What say you my good friend? Good investment for me? Rather cheap at Amazon as i priced them out.

Mark, I think if you can get a region free player it's always a nice thing to have. It's just going to depend on whether or not you ever plan on buying dvds that aren't R1. All I know is that I'm glad I've got one.

Gary "take care, buddy" O.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I have many things to speak of as usual.
Thanks for that info! I may give it a try. I know my work connection is fast enough (a double OC3) but at home I have 1.5 DSL so... I've read in this thread where several people talk about a double dip on S1. I'm curious why you would do this. My S1 sets *both* have issues and I've been reluctant to shell out for them again because of the type disks used. In fact it took the sale BB had last year of ~$10/set before I took a chance and sprung for S2-S4. Even then, my S4 set had one episode that will not play properly and the return window was *long* gone before I made that discovery. With a double dip on S1 I figure I'll be trading one bad set for another just on different episodes.
Hey Bob, I remember you stateing once about your problems and was sorry to hear that. The entire Voyage set I first bought is great!! I bought all at BB except season 4. I did have some problems on Vol 1 of 4 with the very last episode but nothing major. I did get double dip for that DVD and it was fine. I now have 2 of each season once season 1 and season 4 vol 2 gets here from the big river.I am now watching season 2 in reverse order and when season 1 gets here i shall watch in proper order.Season 4 volume 2 has the pilot which is all that is left of it. I know many say that is not true. My source gave it to the restoration team and that is all that is left. Sorry about that guys but that is the truth. I cannot of course reveal my source and will never do so.I want the Voyage movie in HD and asked Twilight to put it on their list. That would be a great start so email Twilight that we want the movie in HD.The movie launched the series but LIS became very popular after it went off the air. Hence the movie on the series which the fans hated. I went to see it but never bought it. The very great thing as I have said before is I believe the DVDs and the talk here and else where have given Voyage new life and it now is a rival with Time Tunnel which was alwsys my favorite Irwin show. Heck now Voyage has inched it's way above Tunnel even or well it is a tie for me.I am so excited to begin season 1 again for the 3rd time. Bob i sure hope there is not any problems there was not with my old set. Buying from Amazon I know I can return them if need be.I spoke with Fox in the past and their respose was any trouble such as i had with that last ep on v1 of S4 they would replace. I will be happy to give it to you the link again Bob . I remember they stated they did not care where or how long ago you purchase it they would replace it.The blu-ray of Voyage and TT would be great but from what I read not for me. My blu-ray alread does the up convert and they look great. TT which I have had the longest the new DVDs blew me away.I want FOX to do it in a limited edition perhaps in blu-ray. We all know how that may never happen. Read Bil Hunt in the Bits because he really hits the nail on the head as to what is going on now in home video.Gary i feel for your man i would love to buy that Seaview. I have the huge TV version all detailed inside but glued so I have to poke a flash lite inside and broke a window doing so. I also have a huge Flying Sub which has easy access to the inside and is super. I then have the already buit small Seaview with a small Flying Sub Mini Sub and the Bell. I have them above the fire place in front of an ocean seen. Cool is not word. My large Seaview also has a great place in front of its poster in another room.Gary knows my weakness for Voyage and I bet he thinks I will buy this 8window Seaview LOL But where the heck would i display it.Hey also this is Titanic weekend any of you going to watch TT on Sunday night?Hey Jeff W great thoughts too and thank you very much for them.The one thing I love about this thread that JEFF T started is there are never angry debates as in other threads. We Voyage fans are above all that.Long live VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA TIME TUNNEL AND EVEN LOST IN SPACE AND LAND OF THE GIANTS NOT TO FORGET CITY BENEATH THE SEA!!!!

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
It's also possible to sometimes find hacks for your Region 1 DVD player. I've not had much luck with any of the Sony players I own, but I did find a hack to make a cheap Phillips player region free. I dig that out on the few occasions I've had to get a region 2 disc, which are few and far between. I generally cannot abide PAL speedup, but there are some times when that doesn't apply, and other times that a Region 2 disc is the only one available in the world.

Playing them on computers is also an option.

Harry

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hey Harry thanks too for your thoughts. This is what I love about HTF people love to help each other and share information.What Voyage episode in season 2 should I watch tonight. I love the one where the Flying Ssub is tested in the Left Handed Man I think it is called by that title> The EP where FS1 sinks and Lee is on a Sub and the Admiral in on ship and they are doing battle. I think that is a top 10 Voyage and John Wayne Son is in it.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
Mark, I think if you can get a region free player it's always a nice thing to have. It's just going to depend on whether or not you ever plan on buying dvds that aren't R1. All I know is that I'm glad I've got one.

Gary "take care, buddy" O.
kb2lg8.jpg
With a fair-sized # of PAL's in my collection, an R-free player is the best purchase I've made some years ago.

Mark Collins said:
Hey Harry thanks too for your thoughts. This is what I love about HTF people love to help each other and share information.

What Voyage episode in season 2 should I watch tonight. I love the one where the Flying Ssub is tested in the Left Handed Man I think it is called by that title> The EP where FS1 sinks and Lee is on a Sub and the Admiral in on ship and they are doing battle. I think that is a top 10 Voyage and John Wayne Son is in it.
As Harry mentioned, Sony's have been historically difficult or impossible to enable the R-free hack code. Some brand of players can't be hacked with a key sequence using the remote control unit. I bought an internally-modified player some years back for my R-free player.

Also, most here know this but in case someone's not aware of it, be careful if you're playing different region-coded dvd's in a PC or laptop dvd drive since most of them only allow 4 region code "changes". Upon the 5th R-code change, the drive will lock out future region changes and will only play the last region coded dvd's.

As with most things though, there's many options to eliminate that issue, with region-free software apps. Mine works on-the-fly to enable any region's dvd to play without restrictions.

I'm cautious (or geeky :D ) so I have a little free ".exe" app that checks my dvd drives to verify that they always have 4 "changes" remaining in the drive firmware.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Mark Collins said:
I have many things to speak of as usual. Hey Bob, I remember you stateing once about your problems and was sorry to hear that. The entire Voyage set I first bought is great!! I bought all at BB except season 4. I did have some problems on Vol 1 of 4 with the very last episode but nothing major. I did get double dip for that DVD and it was fine. I now have 2 of each season once season 1 and season 4 vol 2 gets here from the big river....I am so excited to begin season 1 again for the 3rd time. Bob i sure hope there is not any problems there was not with my old set. Buying from Amazon I know I can return them if need be....I spoke with Fox in the past and their respose was any trouble such as i had with that last ep on v1 of S4 they would replace. I will be happy to give it to you the link again Bob . I remember they stated they did not care where or how long ago you purchase it they would replace it...
Long live VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA TIME TUNNEL AND EVEN LOST IN SPACE AND LAND OF THE GIANTS NOT TO FORGET CITY BENEATH THE SEA!!!!
I purchased my S1 sets from Amazon *long* ago and discovered the defects over a year after purchase. I often buy on sale and, unless there's a floater or other obvious problems, frequently don't watch a purchase for months (or years) which burns me occasionally. While I've had great luck getting Amazon to replace defective DVDs as long as 6 months after purchase I doubt they'd be so willing 4+ years later.

That link would be great! The worst case scenario is they say "no" and I have no problem asking. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks