What's new

When are We going to see a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Blu-ray Release?! (2 Viewers)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have saved the Fall Preview issues of TV Guide going way, way back, and I sometimes pull one of the old ones to read through the listings, see the channels, the close-ups, the ads, etc. and basically dream about a happier, simpler time. We didn't subscribe to it; I'd call my dad every Friday afternoon and remind him to pick up a copy from the drug store next to his store before he came home. (The listings always started on Saturday. I'm sure die-hard addicts know this.) I would devour every issue once he brought it home.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I have saved the Fall Preview issues of TV Guide going way, way back, and I sometimes pull one of the old ones to read through the listings, see the channels, the close-ups, the ads, etc. and basically dream about a happier, simpler time. We didn't subscribe to it; I'd call my dad every Friday afternoon and remind him to pick up a copy from the drug store next to his store before he came home. (The listings always started on Saturday. I'm sure die-hard addicts know this.) I would devour every issue once he brought it home.
The earliest TV Guides started the listings on Friday (I have some) but then switched to the Saturday start date.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I grew up in the fifties in the Philly area and recall visiting some friends of my mother's house and while they gabbed, I became fascinated with the TV Guide on her coffee table.

Realizing that the magazine was only 15¢, I began to look for it in local stores, and found a local mom & pop market that ALWAYS had the next week's TV Guide on Tuesdays. So, I'd save up my allowance money or get some refunds on soda bottle deposits and eagerly bought each week's magazine. Sometime in the early 60s, I switched to an actual subscription, which I kept for years and years, ultimately abandoning the magazine when it went to the nationalized listings and large format. It was then worthless to me.

I at one time had a stack of magazines going back years, but they were tossed in one of those purges that happens in life.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks