What's new

When are We going to see a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Blu-ray Release?! (1 Viewer)

KarlB737

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karl
Harry-N said:
I was impressed with the movie-like action on the sub and thought a couple of times how neat it would have been to have those type of visuals back in the old VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA days.
The show with this type of sub and the doubt as to whether to fire the missile surely reminded us all of "Crimson Tide". Now I am motivated to watch "Crimson Tide" again.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I watched the trailer for Last Resort and it looks interesting. It is kind of like Voyage to the Bottom of Sea meets Utopia. I am not sure the series will have staying power as it looks expensive to make and/or a limited audience. I remember Alcatraz coming out last year and it was very good, but was scrapped due to cost and low ratings!

KarlB737

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karl
younger1968 said:
I am not sure the series will have staying power as it looks expensive to make and/or a limited audience.
New Thursday Dramas Dip In Week Two
ABC’s “Last Resort” and CBS’s “Elementary” both fell by double-digit percentages, continuing the pattern that’s been seen for a number of new and returning shows in week two. “Resort” averaged a 1.8 adults 18-49 rating at 8 p.m., according to Nielsen, down 18 percent from a 2.2 for last week’s premiere.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I just happen to be one of those that did not watch. With all it's fault Voyage is much better! Sorry folks. I even suggested to Gary we put up a staute of Admiral Nelson in Santa Barbara where the Nelson Institue for Marine Reserch is located and perhaps even a windows 8 Seaview. Love the joke now that I understand it and also your PM Harry. Donations anyone for our Staute? Gary I have in the windows 4 Seaview a scale of The Flying Sub DIving Bell and Mini Sub. So I display them not with my large Seaview but with the already built one that I bought from Monsters.com which of course is very small. I do have a huge flying sub that is cool because I can take the top hatch off and look at the great detail my model maker put together. What a dumb thing on my part to have the windows four Seaview with crew and controls which cannot be viewed like the flying sub, and we should have left the windows able to come off to get a good look inside.
I am watching Season 3 and 4 together with the Time Tunnel on Friday Nights. I watched the two Werewolf episodes from season 3 I of course want the fan favorite of Ghost of the German Sub season and I love that Mummy from season 3 all for Halloween.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Good stuff, Mark. At some point I'll have my larger 8 window Seaview built by people that do such things (since I surely can't do it myself). As I mentioned before, I've seen some pictures of the model I've got done by professionals and it looks phenomenal.

Gary "I love the idea of the Nelson statue - perhaps I can get a smaller version for my den so that I can glance at it occasionally for inspiration" O.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
I am pleased that my (good) friend-colleague Harry answered his own inquiry pertaining to those pictures. I have been away for (about) three years and naturally was unaware of anything going on in this (popular) discussion forum.
Despite the SSRN Seaview having been remodelled with four large observation windows in the submarine's bow section for the VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) tv series' second season (1965-66) blue-tinted stock film footage of the former eight window model from the first season (1964-65) and colour stock film footage from the VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (1961) feature film are still conspicuously visible. Perhaps it was felt that no one would notice. I believe this became much less evident in the third (1966-67) and fourth season (1967-68) episodes.
Jeff T.
:D

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Back in the mid-'60s, as VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA was airing, it surely was the case that the powers-that-be didn't see fit to worry too much about the continuity of the Seaview's design regarding the change from four large windows to eight smaller ones. The facts were:

- Very few folks had color TV back in the era of the second season in particular, so the detail brought out by the addition of color would likely go unnoticed by the masses.

- Televisions of all sorts were tube devices without much detail and clarity anyway, subject to the vagaries of broadcast analog TV.

- Producers looked on these shows as disposable - something that would be seen once, maybe twice in a rerun, and be forever forgotten to history.

- Views of ships like the Seaview and the Enterprise on STAR TREK were always brief, only a few seconds, never long-lasting shots allowing for study.

- Budgets for TV shows were notoriously tight, and Irwin Allen was a master of being thrifty.

The facts are that we now have well-mastered DVDs with stop-motion, freeze-frame capability with the option to study each and every shot from each and every show on high-definition televisions, allowing us to see through some of yesterday's magic. In some respects, this results in a bit of a disappointment with how we fondly remember these shows from our youth. Newer, younger viewers don't have that loss of magic, as they'd never experienced the glory of these shows the way some of us old-timers did. Romantic notions, perhaps, but I think this explains some of the phenomenon.

Harry

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
Stan said:
Good God people, do you realize this thread is now eight years old?
Give it a rest for a while. I couldn't possibly catch up on eight years of posts, but whoever owns the rights, don't you think it would have been released by now if they thought it would be profitable?
Every time I look at this portion of the forum, there it is, more posts about "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea".
Slam me as much as you want, but maybe the moderators should make a different listing just for on-going, never ending subjects like this.
THIS.
If you all want real submarine action, watch Last Resort. :D

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Sorry Sky Captain. I wish you had not pasted Stan's thoughts about us and this thread all over again. Last Resort i did watch but sorry the next week I did not. I love Voyage for what it is a slice of 60s entertainment by the master himself Irwin Allen. I do not care what others think. I love the show and even the monster ones. I said before I am watching Halloween send ups from Voyage on Friday nights along with Time Tunnel. I am leaving that all time fan favorite from season 2 the U2 ghost sub for the last.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Sky Captain said:
THIS.
If you all want real submarine action, watch Last Resort. :D
I think keeping post alive is ok, especially if gives people opportunity discuss episodes/issues with Voyage to the Bottom of Sea. I have S1-S4 on dvd and do watch it from time to time. I was too young to remember when it first ran, so having the dvds allows me the opportunity to see the show again.
I did notice a drop off in the quality of the episodes S3-S4 as compare to S1/S2. There were some weird episodes, like the lobster man.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I am fan of other shows too but Voyage has a special place in my heart. The show is one that i would take on that Island everyone talks of. Sorry Harry Mannix would not be there. Hey we all have these sort of shows that we just like. Paul I am a dedicated fan of this show. I love what you said. Join Gary and I in our quest to honor Admiral Nelson with a Statue in Santa Barabara I love my Seaview models and pictures. I also found out that a certain person has exclusive rights now to Voyage of the Bottom of the Sea. I do not mean the videos. I thought that was rather interesting
http://www.iann.net/

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
JeffT. said:
Every week the most inane titles are continually being added to the ever-increasing list of the most forgettable and banal tv properties imaginable while 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment itself stubbornly allows surefire hits like VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) and THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67) to (unjustly) languish in the studio tv library vaults indefinitely.
I'm sorry, I know that this is a late response, but just what TV shows do you and this gentleman consider to be 'forgettable and banal'?

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Yeah, about eight years too late! Just how old were you then?
With the welcomed DVD releases since that time of VOYAGE, THE TIME TUNNEL, THE TWILIGHT ZONE (including a full restoration of THE WESTHOUSE-DESILU PLAYHOUSE segment "The Time Element"), BORIS KARLOFF'S THRILLER, THE INVADERS, ROD SERLING'S NIGHT GALLERY, THE INVISIBLE MAN (1950s), ONE STEP BEYOND (in part) and Heaven only knows what else I have no complaints. Obviously a lot has been accomplished in the duration and there is still more to be achieved.
Jeff T.
:rolleyes:

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I remember watching THE OUTER LIMITS when it ran on ABC early Monday evenings in its first season. (7:30 PM ET I believe). But I have no memory of watching VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA in that first black & white season. I only ever remember it being on Sunday nights. I would have been 13 in 1964 when the show premiered.

The first season on DVD was therefore quite enjoyable as I hadn't seen most of those episodes before - perhaps one or two on a SciFi Channel run.

Harry

JeffT.

Deceased Member
If one takes the time to read what has become a "monster" discussion thread (which perhaps should be published in book for posterity) I was (and still am) primarily a first (1964-65) and second season (1965-66) VOYAGE fan-enthusiast.
The other two seasons? Just what am I going to say about them? They (generally) succeed as exciting diverting entertainment more than anything else (still with some noteworthy quality exceptions to their credit). I am not here advocating werewolves, leprechauns, lobstermen, whatever!
Although young at the time my tastes were remarkably mature and I enthusiastically watched VOYAGE from the very beginning to the end.
I was never especially a fan of something like "The Lobster Man" (21/12/1967) but watching guest performer Vic Lundin's surprisingly effective performance (in that outlandish crustacean extraterrestrial outfit) I was admittedly impressed (considering the ridiculousness of the situation). This causes me to reflect that the production staff spearheaded by Irwin Allen had a canny sense of just what they were doing and trying to accomplish all along. In this case (to put it in David Hedison's own words) to "accomodate" the large broadbased juvenile tv audience..and most of us were mere kids at the time!
Come what may this particular show had exceptional fine casting in its two very well selected leads Richard Basehart and David Hedison who really came through whatever the particular quality of the individual production.
It is a matter of recorded history that VOYAGE was both the longest running and highest rated primetime SF tv series carried on a major U.S. network of the 1960s (earning three Emmy Awards). It is still remembered and respected (perhaps not by everybody) to this very day where other fly-by-night contempory "wannabes" have long faded from public memory. Whatever comes in its pioneering wake will have been in some way directly influenced by VOYAGE.
I love THE OUTER LIMITS but VOYAGE (in its prime) explored different ideas that were just as good. To be accepted or rejected.
Now the point in continuing this discussion thread? 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment had the intelligent good foresight to fully restore and digitally remaster the video source elements for the VOYAGE tv series and I (personally) would like to see it make the breakthrough to the blur-ray medium. I sincerely appreciate the support of others who feel the same way on this. But let's face it (so-called) humanity is not neccesarily known for its goodwill and charity.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Bravo, Mark, Paul and JeffT. The drivel posted by the individual, doing nothing more than looking to insult fans of this show, was childish and pathetic. I appreciate those that took the time to stand up for a wonderful show like Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.

Gary "Mark, where do I send my donation for the Admiral Nelson statue?" O.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Look! Throughout this discussion thread there has always been someone who has objected: "Why should VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA in particular be released on DVD?"
Why don't you now direct that inquiry to 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment who likely profited from it?
Let's not forget that the Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series were also successfully marketed abroad (especially in the U.K. where SF fans were ecstactic about it).
Ironically in trying to "stifle" this discussion thread they merely succeeded in adding a few more posts to it which is (certainly) not their intent to be sure.
Jeff T.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I just finished this weekend my Voyage Halloween episodes. The return of the phantom is a great two episode cliff hanger for season 2. I also love the music in the mummy episode and the fact Seaview is suppose to be at night with people in robes an PJs .Gary has me thinking about that movie model Seaview. Nice purchase my friend. How stupid could I be for not having acess to the control room.
I still wait for the RIchad Basehart TCM tribute.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks