What's new

What else i need to complete (1 Viewer)

bibin06

Auditioning
Real Name
Bibin Abraham
I just got some free Sony speakers(Center - 66w/ Front 2- 50w/ Back 2- 200w) Now i am trying to complete my home theater system. someone told me that i cant under power the speakers. i dont know what else i need. need help...

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 113

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hi looks like you will need a receiver and a subwoofer.. but there may be one problem with your speakers are the Frons and the center channel matched?? There will be timbre issues with it if they are not..

Also we will need to know of a Budget for your parts you will need to buy, that is always a key in your decision to what you can get.. OR some smarty pants will recommend a Seaton Submersive ;)

Once we know your budget we can give a better response to your needs.. Also what do you want the reviver to do, 5.1, 7.1, 9.2 that is the speakers it uses.. what will you be hooking up to it, Nintendo Wii, Xbox, how about a Blu ray player, do you need a HDTV??

There is so much more needed then just speakers but it depends what you want.. Are you going to watch just Cable TV or are you looking for Netflix, or other similar streaming services??

here is a list of questions I will pose to you in order:

1. Do you want a HDTV?? Are you looking to go 3D??
2. You will most likely need a Reciever, do you want it too be a networked kind for Streaming of your MP3's and such..
3. Do you want a Blu ray or DVD Player?? Does it need to be 3D if Blu ray??
4. Last but not least you will most likely want a subwoofer, Now many factors are in for this, do you have a size requirement, Budget or any kind of other restraints Color wise, Size, Price.. Subs can go for 100 to over 4000 dollars and in all kinds of falveros and sizes..

4a. What is the size of your Room for the Home theater?? what are the floors made of Wood Cement or other??

bibin06

Auditioning
Real Name
Bibin Abraham
Thank you for the reply!

My budget is around $400 to $500. i am trying to setup a 5.1 system.

I am really not good with home theater. Its my first time setting up one.

I already got netflix, cable tv, blu ray player, xbox 360, and a 50" lcd tv.

i only gonna use it for movies and superball.

i have a medium-large living room.

I need help with the receivers. i been looking at some. i don't understand all the specs.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum Bibin :)

You will need to learn the basics and general knowledge of home theater to get the most out of your new system. Luckily the great and powerful Google knows all! Start with google searches of, "how to set up a home theater." Then move on to, "explain a home theater receiver." Ask google the specific questions you have, there is a wealth of knowledge at your fingertips. Read multiple sources on the same subject to get a consensus and, as always, stick to reputable sources. Pretty soon, before you know it, you will have enough knowledge to be a danger to yourself and those around you.

Getting the right prices, well that comes with experience. Once you have learned the basics of receivers then you can start pricing and looking at models. Accessories 4 less (a4l.com) is usually the best place to begin as they have refurb receivers with warranty. Most all of my gear is either refurb, or off craigslist, but Im old and crusty and know what to look for and can recognize a good deal. Used and refurbs can be an amazing gift that allows for a far superior system to what otherwise might be financially unobtainable. Being a rookie post all purchase considerations here, before you buy, and let us take a look. For now go forth and learn Bibin, go forth and learn.

bibin06

Auditioning
Real Name
Bibin Abraham
what are some good receivers that are out there now that can handle my speakers? and the output power i should be looking for?
home thea.jpg

Center - 66w/ Front 2- 50w/ Back 2- 200w

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
First thing you need to do is "ignore the power ratings". They, relatively, mean nothing...at all.

A4L(already mentioned) has a bunch of AVR under $300. For your needs, you could get the Onkyo RC330(how do you get your Netflix?) if all you need is 3 HDMI.

Occasionally the RC330 costs less on Ebay for the RC330 from A4L than it does directly on their website. Doesn't make any sense...but it happens. But since this is "budget"...I'd spend as little as possible on the AVR so you can get a better sub. BIC F12 is a great choice under $300.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks