What's new

Well, Paramount, you blew it for HATARI! (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
2012 is the 50th anniversary year of HATARI!, one of your most popular catalog titles. Unless you're planning a last-minute announcement for a December release, it's too late to upgrade that crumby DVD to Blu-ray in celebration. Too bad, especially since studios seem to have an anal fix on big divisible-by-five anniversary years. Incredibly disappointing. And John Wayne, too.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The DVD is sufficient. And asking Paramount for a catalog title is largely a waste of typing.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have a bigger problem with Paramount not releasing The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence on its 50th Anniversary in Region A on BD. Luckily, I have the Region B BD, but I still would buy the Region A release if released with the proper bonus material.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
You never know about these things. Warner is releasing Caberet next year as a 40th anniversary edition in its 41st year since its release in 1972. Ben Hur is another example of an anniversary release. 50th, several years after the actual anniversary. It seems they can call a release anything they want .

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Ratko Mladic said:
Nice joke,right there.It's average movie at best.
It may be an average movie to some (I have always been very fond of it), but my impression since the video first emerged is that this has been a good-selling title for them in all formats. I agree with Robert that LIBERTY VALANCE is also a very desirable m.i.a. title.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I'm pretty sure, Paramount could of found some worth while material for a 50th Anniversary edition, Elsa Martinelli is still alive and just recently did an interview for Cinema Retro about Hatari! a few months ago.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
So Ratko removed his original post? Hmmm. Thankfully it's preserved as a quote. If one is going to make such a post, then they should have the courage of their convictions, no matter what the post.
Hatari on DVD is a joke. This is a gorgeous film and a Blu-ray would be fantastic, presuming they went back to the camera negative and gave us a great transfer.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I wonder if Olive Films will release Hatari on Blu-ray. They're certainly releasing a lot of Paramount titles.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Robin9 said:
I wonder if Olive Films will release Hatari on Blu-ray. They're certainly releasing a lot of Paramount titles.
Criterion, is releasing Rosemary's Baby; so it's possible that they are working on something for the future.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/324440/well-paramount-you-blew-it-for-hatari#post_3988612
So Ratko removed his original post? Hmmm. Thankfully it's preserved as a quote. If one is going to make such a post, then they should have the courage of their convictions, no matter what the post.
Hatari on DVD is a joke. This is a gorgeous film and a Blu-ray would be fantastic, presuming they went back to the camera negative and gave us a great transfer.
Let's just say the poster in question was removed and leave it at that.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Robin9 /t/324440/well-paramount-you-blew-it-for-hatari#post_3988618
Olive has been very quiet on future release information and haven't officially announced any new title beyond November 20th.

Crawdaddy

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
A DVD is sufficient--indeed, essential--if a Blu-ray is flubbed, which has been known to happen. I'm sure a BD of HATARI! would be truly lovely, but with many titles MIA on DVD be thankful that it made it that far and hope that someone other than Paramount corrals it for Blu-ray.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
I'd rather not watch Hatari at all if it has to be via that ancient DVD, and I like Hatari a lot. Have you seen it lately? On a front projection system? Yikes.
I'd definitely pick it up on BD. Along with The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Hatari would be a GREAT release on blu for Paramount. The outdoor scenes are truly spectacular, and Hawks use of all the actors for the scenes in the vehicles chasing the animals is amazing to witness. I would purchase this Day 1 on blu, no question.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Paramount has the richest collection of unreleased John Wayne films so far (not including Republic holdings) and they will almost certainly release them. C'mon this and the majority of the others are "peak" John Wayne that are well recognized among fans and have been pretty dependable sales-wise.
Republic films aside, I seriously doubt Paramount will license their John Wayne films out for any company outside of Criterion (Red River already confirmed). They've released Rio Lobo already for crying out loud ;). Olive is already going to be getting neck-deep in John Wayne's massive Republic library, so I don't see them fishing for any more anytime soon.
The vast majority of Wayne films will be released in due time.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Scott Calvert said:
Have you seen it lately? On a front projection system? Yikes.
Is that an offer? I'd love to hang with you front projection swells, smoking cigars wrapped in $100 bills...anything to get me away from my 36" Sony in my shoebox living room. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks