What's new

Well, Paramount, you blew it for HATARI! (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John Hermes said:
Wow, quite disappointing. I really have been looking forward to this release for months (and wishing for it for years). The DVD is pretty bad so this will be some kind of improvement, I guess. :(
I'm still buying it as it has to be better than the DVD. I don't have the reference point of the IP print nor the high standards of Bruce, so this BD will do for now until something better comes along.

Metty

Auditioning
Real Name
Metty
haineshisway said:
I wish I had good things to say about this Blu-ray, but alas... Color is nice (and looks NOTHING like the color in those caps above - big surprise), but there is simply no detail in the transfer - it's soft and kind of ugly-looking, and I'm here to tell you that this film in IB Technicolor was stunning, with gorgeous photography by Russell Harlan. What a shame.
FYI: There was no editing in the Pictures above! All of them are VLC Player Screenshots on the same PC.

BTW: I asked Paramount Home Entertainment Germany via e-mail about any Details of the Blu Ray.
Answer: We don´t know any details. Hatari is produced by Paramount in Los Angeles in then shipped to Germany.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Robert Crawford said:
I'm still buying it as it has to be better than the DVD. I don't have the reference point of the IP print nor the high standards of Bruce, so this BD will do for now until something better comes along.
Me too! I enjoy a lot of Blu-ray presentations that I'm told that I shouldn't. :D

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
I own the Frech blu-ray of "Hatari" and the picture quality is aweful.

But I also own the French blu-ray of "El Dorado" and the picture quality is very good.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
bronson said:
I own the Frech blu-ray of "Hatari" and the picture quality is aweful.

But I also own the French blu-ray of "El Dorado" and the picture quality is very good.
It's the same transfer as the French. I'm glad people will enjoy it - I can't when I know what the film can and should look like. Believe me, all I want to do is like a transfer.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Metty said:
FYI: There was no editing in the Pictures above! All of them are VLC Player Screenshots on the same PC.

BTW: I asked Paramount Home Entertainment Germany via e-mail about any Details of the Blu Ray.
Answer: We don´t know any details. Hatari is produced by Paramount in Los Angeles in then shipped to Germany.
It doesn't really matter - I can only tell you that me looking at the screen caps on my computer (a 27-inch perfectly calibrated iMac) and me watching the film on my calibrated TV (samsung) the caps have a very greenish hue to them, which is especially evident in the sky, which should be blue not green/blue - on the Blu-ray the skies are blue not green/blue. Hence, the caps, for me, are worthless and don't tell the color story at all. Others may and can see it differently. The color is the least of this transfer's problems. This is a stunningly beautiful film in the dye transfer 35mm prints.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
haineshisway said:
It doesn't really matter - I can only tell you that me looking at the screen caps on my computer (a 27-inch perfectly calibrated iMac) and me watching the film on my calibrated TV (samsung) the caps have a very greenish hue to them, which is especially evident in the sky, which should be blue not green/blue - on the Blu-ray the skies are blue not green/blue. Hence, the caps, for me, are worthless and don't tell the color story at all. Others may and can see it differently. The color is the least of this transfer's problems. This is a stunningly beautiful film in the dye transfer 35mm prints.
So perfectly calibrated you couldn't see there was zero colour difference between the Universal and Criterion editions of Charade and argued constantly with me about it in that thread, yeah okay, whatever as they say, perhaps you need to re-calibrate it.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
John Hermes said:
Actually, the German El Dorado is available September 25 according to Amazon.de. Hatari! and Samson & Delilah are set for October 4. So, Metty, you can inform us even earlier! The French El Dorado (released September 11) is listed as region free, so I'm sure the German will be too.
Those three discs are fixing to be my very imported titles. I hope they are all region free.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
FoxyMulder said:
So perfectly calibrated you couldn't see there was zero colour difference between the Universal and Criterion editions of Charade and argued constantly with me about it in that thread, yeah okay, whatever as they say, perhaps you need to re-calibrate it.
Excuse me while I yawn. If you think the Hatari caps in any way look like what I see on my TV, well, good luck to you and I'd have to say you are completely subverting your viewing experience if these caps match what YOU see - then again, you probably don't have Hatari, so this discussion is over.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
This is an outrage! Paramount! Stop allowing this DNR'd crap out the door! I fear for what a domestic release may look like.

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
Sad to hear but perhaps to be expected. At least the DVD of Hatari! is serviceable, which is more than you can say about One-Eyed Jacks.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
haineshisway said:
I'm guessing exactly the same.
I'm going to catch a lot of heat for this, but I'd rather Hatari! not be released over here unless it's done right.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Lromero1396 said:
I'm going to catch a lot of heat for this, but I'd rather Hatari! not be released over here unless it's done right.
Maybe Paramount's working on a US blu as we speak, Hatari! that I know of hasn't been re-released by WB, so maybe it was one of titles that WB didn't get in The WB/Paramount distribution deal.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Maybe Paramount's working on a US blu as we speak, Hatari! that I know of hasn't been re-released by WB, so maybe it was one of titles that WB didn't get in The WB/Paramount distribution deal.
I'm thinking that things must be really complicated over at Paramount with the way releases are panning out, but these releases seem to be multi-region, so if you're in America it's no big deal, just means you have to pay a bit more postage. I'm sure Hainshisway is right, these releases are it, there's not going to be any remaster for the American market...maybe a few years down the line.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Seems like I remember one of the Paramount execs at last October's HTF meet tell me that they retained their John Wayne films but the Audrey Hepburns were available to Warners.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Matt Hough said:
Seems like I remember one of the Paramount execs at last October's HTF meet tell me that they retained their John Wayne films but the Audrey Hepburns were available to Warners.
NO, don't give WB Audrey Hepburn, they'll have almost all of her film then.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Matt Hough said:
Matt,

I'm not so sure about that based on my conversations with certain executives.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Robert Crawford said:
Matt,

I'm not so sure about that based on my conversations with certain executives.
I could easily be misremembering. We talked with a great many people and it was almost a year ago (can't believe it!).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks