What's new

Warner Bros. MGM musicals on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
MattH. said:
The Warner musical I want more than any other is Calamity Jane presented in the proper aspect ratio (1.75:1). And if they want to do a Doris double-feature, hook on The Pajama Game with it. (I want Love Me or Leave Me, too, but it's Warner-controlled MGM, and I was talking strictly Warner musicals.)
"IT'S THE DEADWOOD STAGE!" Yep I would turn a back flip for: CALAMITY JANE PAJAMA GAME DAMN YANKEES FINIAN'S RAINBOW LUCKY ME YANKEE DOODLE DANDY

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Considering we're practically neighbors (her hotel for pets is only a few miles from my apartment), how could I ever forget Doris Day's musicals? The "Once-a-Year Day" number from The Pajama Game is magnificent, and that's one I'd definitely be up for an upgrade for. Damn Yankees as well (1958 was a pretty good year to be Ray Walston).
And since we're talking about Calamity Jane, how about some Annie Get Your Gun (yes, I know it was MGM)?
And I may be tempted to re-open the Mame question at some point (like it or hate it, it's Lucy, so it'll sell like hotcakes).

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
One musical which is below the radar is Gentlemen Marry Brunettes starring Jane Russell and Jeanne Crain. I have a copy recorded from television many years ago, I think it was released by United Artists. It hasn't been released on DVD to my knowledge.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Keith Cobby said:
One musical which is below the radar is Gentlemen Marry Brunettes starring Jane Russell and Jeanne Crain. I have a copy recorded from television many years ago, I think it was released by United Artists. It hasn't been released on DVD to my knowledge.
I've never seen this film and have always wanted to. I'd love to know why it has gone missing.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Keith Cobby said:
20th Century Fox produced GENTLEMAN MARRY BRUNETTES. I'm pretty sure it was in Cinemascope. The film was originally supposed to co-star Marylin Monroe with Ms. Russell, but Ms. Monroe declined.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Gentlemen Marry Brunettes was actually from United Artists. It is on amazon streaming but the rights expire today, March 11! If you are quick you might get a viewing in. It looks good, very wide maybe 2.55 with decent color. Hopefully the streaming rights expiring indicates it is coming out on DVD or preferably blu-ray. http://www.amazon.com/Gentlemen-Marry-Brunettes/dp/B0097E5OO2/ref=sr_1_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1363029139&sr=1-1&keywords=Gentlemen+Marry+Brunettes

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Guess I was wrong about the distributor. I recall seeing the Fox Cinemascope logo at the head of GENTLEMEN MARRY BRUNETTES when I was a child. According to IMBD, GENTLEMAN MARRY BRUNETTES was released by United Artists, though I'm pretty sure the film originated at 20th Century Fox, as I recall reading that Marilyn Monroe was asked to appear in the film as part of her Fox contract. Possibly those with a better memory than mine can help out here.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I'll champion just about every choice recommended so far. But I'd also like to see more MGM musicals get to hi def, like The Great Ziegfeld Maytime Rosalie Born to Dance Broadway Melody of 1936/38 and 40 The Merry Widow (MacDonald/Chevalier ver.) For me and My Gal Cabin in the Sky Holiday in Mexico Anchors Aweigh Of the other Warner holdings, please let's get some Fred Astaire and Ginger - like ALL of them!!! I'm also going to throw my hat in the ring for Mario Lanza: The Student Prince The Toast of New Orleans The Great Caruso That Midnight Kiss tops on my list. I don't think anyone's mentioned Doris Day in Romance on the High Seas so I'll plug that one too. The obvious one's have already been listed but I'll back you all in seeing Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, High Society and Silk Stockings - particularly High Society. The DVD doesn't look anything like VistaVision should. In fact, the rear projection and cutaways are horrifically marred by some digitized grit. Yuck! Oh, and finally, Victor/Victoria. Come on!!! Isn't it about time?!?

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
lark144 said:
Guess I was wrong about the distributor. I recall seeing the Fox Cinemascope logo at the head of GENTLEMEN MARRY BRUNETTES when I was a child. According to IMBD, GENTLEMAN MARRY BRUNETTES was released by United Artists, though I'm pretty sure the film originated at 20th Century Fox, as I recall reading that Marilyn Monroe was asked to appear in the film as part of her Fox contract. Possibly those with a better memory than mine can help out here.
I am only going what I saw on the streaming version, which had United Artists at the beginning, so perhaps 20th-Fox distruibuted it originally; I never saw it theatrically so you may be entirely correct.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I thought Victor/Victoria would be a cinch for Warner Archives' new Blu-ray division. Ditto The Unsinkable Molly Brown.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Just for fun, I took a few screen caps from Gentlemen Marry Brunettes. Although the color is decent, it may be not as good as could be expected from Technicolor.
21e81711_GMB_title.jpeg
bfc86e2f_GMB_cscope.jpeg
b06f3a0d_GMB_duet.jpeg
052579b2_GMB_roses.jpeg
3c109294_GMB_rudy.jpeg
b57f4125_GMB_UA.jpeg

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Keith Cobby said:
The musical I want on Blu-ray more than any other (apart from High Society) is Three Little Words. Fred Astaire with Vera Ellen, who is for me his best partner. They were paired for the second time in Belle of New York, and if he hadn't turned it down would have been paired for a third time in White Christmas. Although I do think Fred would have been a little more formal, and with not quite the sense of fun that Danny Kaye brought to the role. Vera Ellen is my favourite female dancer.
Keith, as much as I love Ginger I have to admit that Vera Ellen is my favorite as well. Such beautiful long legs and I've never seen a woman with a tinier waist! However, I do think Fred and Ginger had the best chemistry together.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
"Gentlemen Marry Brunettes" was most certainly a United Artist production and release. I worked at United Artists when it first came out and still remember our private pre-release screening. I was in charge of the Cinema distribution of the trailers and promotional material at the time. Below is a scan of an actual 35mm Scope film frame that I still have after all these years.(courtesy of the kind ladies in the film repair room at UA) The other title card is from a 35mm flat, matted trailer of mine. Can someone please solve a mystery regarding this film. When I saw it in the 50s the title song was sung over the main and end titles by vocalist Johnny Desmond. Yet every time i've seen it since, Johnny Desmond is not heard, but has been replaced by a chorus. The soundtrack LP features Desmond and curiously his name remains on the movie's own credits. (see photo below from a TV Print) Where has he gone and why is he still credited?
0787c87f_brunettestitle.jpeg
2d012225_brunettestrailer.jpeg
5bdf94a8_brunettesdesmond.jpeg
Doug.

KellyBo

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob Berg
MGM HD ran a beautiful Technicolor print of GENTLEMEN MARRY BRUNETTES maybe a year or so ago. The film has some classic tunes and great Paris locations. Johnny Desmond is heard singing the main title and end title song only on the Coral soundtrack LP. I think it might be some payment rights issue and that is why the chorus is substiuted for Demond's voical .But I am guessing. They did not even attempt to remove his name from the credits.. I could swear that years ago when the film first played TV in pan and scan the Desmond voice was there but I can't confirm this.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
lark144 said:
I think that the 20th CENTURY FOX movie you're thinking of that Marilyn declined to make was HOW TO BE VERY VERY POPULAR. She was replaced by Sheree North.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Nick*Z said:
I'll champion just about every choice recommended so far. But I'd also like to see more MGM musicals get to hi def, like The Great Ziegfeld Maytime Rosalie Born to Dance Broadway Melody of 1936/38 and 40 The Merry Widow (MacDonald/Chevalier ver.) For me and My Gal Cabin in the Sky Holiday in Mexico Anchors Aweigh Of the other Warner holdings, please let's get some Fred Astaire and Ginger - like ALL of them!!! I'm also going to throw my hat in the ring for Mario Lanza: The Student Prince The Toast of New Orleans The Great Caruso That Midnight Kiss tops on my list. I don't think anyone's mentioned Doris Day in Romance on the High Seas so I'll plug that one too. The obvious one's have already been listed but I'll back you all in seeing Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, High Society and Silk Stockings - particularly High Society. The DVD doesn't look anything like VistaVision should. In fact, the rear projection and cutaways are horrifically marred by some digitized grit. Yuck! Oh, and finally, Victor/Victoria. Come on!!! Isn't it about time?!?
"The Great Ziegfeld" is on it's way, as is "Maytime" or "Rosalie" . Can't remember where I read this. "Ziegfeld is up on VUDU!:D

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Doug & Allan: Thanks so much for refreshing my memory about GENTLEMEN PREFER BRUNETTES. I'd also forgotten that Johnny Desmond sang the title song over the credits. Doug: those frames are beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing them. I second Matt's recommendation of DBs for VICTOR/VICTORIA & THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN. I'm also dying to get a DB of THE GREAT RACE, though I'm not sure this qualifies as a musical.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks